Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Drive 2,586 mi. for a $30,000 Z06????????

Yes, I did it! However, I exagerated a bit. I agreed to pay Dave Golder (A Z06Vette.com junior member) dollar for dollar for his $11,500 in performance upgrades and enhancements, for a total price of $41,500 for his 440 hp Z06 (Dyno next week).

What did it include? See:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=599206116&r=0&t=0

I first saw the car on e-bay. The bidding was up to $39,500 with a day to go. Dave threw in his OEM wheels (In addition to the chrome reproductions that were mounted on the car), as well as his hardwired Valentine 1 (In addition to the upgrades mentioned in the ad).

There was indeed a bit of trust involved from both sides. The good news, everyone is happy with the transaction.

A got a BEAUTIFUL, MODIFIED and ready for the track Z06 for a great price. With $61,500 invested, Dave (An ABSOLUTE car guy, wanted to add a new M-5 to his stable of a lonely 2001 Porsche Twin Turbo, and was ready to part with the Z) agreed to sell.

I flew to Ontario, CA and then got picked up by Dave's Roommate, who drove me to Redlands, CA (SE of San Bernardino) to pick up the car. BEAUTIFUL. A turn of the key - Almost Heaven. With the lighted "flame ball shifter" aglow, I made sure of the shift pattern, and took off. A stop at K-Mark for 2 quarts of oil (The car ended up using only 1/3 quart of oil on the trip) and a funnel, a stop at the nearest Chevron for the High-Test 91 Octane availible in CA, and I was OFF. Left on Thursday, 9 pm (CA time), and arrived at my driveway in Cape Coral, Fl 2586 miles later at 7:45 pm (Fl time) on Saturday.

When you have a dream, you GO FOR IT, or you forever wish you had.

The trip was beautiful, except for the 7 hours of rain I experienced from East Texas, All of Louisiana, and West Mississippi.

Was it worth it? I'm still cleaning the car, but I can absolutely, positively say YES. The power over my (upgraded 347 hp) '92 is completely mind blowing. As a guy with 10 years experience driving on track, I can say (Even without driving this car on track yet) that this is the very best move I have made in my lifetime concerning a car.

I guess my weakness is that I'm a car guy. I guess my strength is that I had a DRIVE, and tried to make every possible deal I could, in order to get my C-5, and with a little luck, I ended up with the BEST of all possibilities.

And yes, the car looks redder than the orange picture, and the wheels look chromer than the picture, and yes it goes faster than the picture also.

Cruising through the desert areas, it was not uncommon to put the cruise on 100 mph when traffic was sparse at 3 am. And in the rain at 50-60 mph there was not a hint of unstableness.

I want to thank all the Z06 guys on this site for encouraging me to go for it. Also, my biggest thanks go to Dave Golden for trusting me to come through and withdrawing the car from the auction, and selling me the BEST car I could have imagined.

I must apoligize because I may not be contributing as much as I should in the future here at Z06Vette.com, because I am going to be DRIVING or CLEANING my CAR!!!!!!!!!

See ya.

Steve Nix, President
Performance Drivers' Club, Inc.
"Hope to Pass You Soon!"

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Congratulations Steve

Hey! That didn't take long. And what a "KILLER Z. Quite an impressive list of Mods.Great stuff. Glad you found what you wanted. Much more fun Driving than cleaning! Have fun! ;)

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Sounds fantastic! Guess I'd like to see some results from races.

Congratulations...:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Dan Farmer

·
Registered
155 Posts
That is a GREEEEAT deal for an AWESOME Z06.

Best of luck!!
Jackhammer:guiness:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts