Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing rumors in the track rat circles that issues over the Z06 rear end breaking exists. I do not want to hear this since I plan on tracking one next year. Anyone in the know out there who can shed light on the topic? This is a serious post, not just something to incite. I plan on retiring my GTS next year in favor of the Z06, but when stuff like this surfaces I pay attention. I had not heard stink about this until I was at Sebring last week.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I heard the right output shaft is weak link, every car has its weak link, the z06s might be what I just mentioned, but I punished mine for the last 20k miles and nothing replaced yet

·
21,351 Posts
I've heard of diffs busting during hard launches at the strip but not at the track. Maybe some of the guys who track there cars can chime in.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Buy the Z06 you will love it :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
350 Posts
My 01 has 20K miles on it...15K hard racing/track miles - no mechanical failures of any kind. The car is bulletproof...just drive and shift smoothly and it'll last forever. Just keep replacing the brakes, rotors and tires.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
No worries at all on the track, it's the drag strip that may cause some issues if using sticky tires.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hello Greg.

Yes, the rear has issues in a road course environment. Main issue is heat.

Drag Racing causes other issues as well.

I suggest that if you are tracking the car (Road Course) you at a minimum install a quality synthetic gear oil and serioulsy consider a dif cooler. (Tranny cooler also).

For the ultimate C5 dif I suggest you have Phil at DTE, a site sponsor build you one that will much better handle the track environment.

Here is a link to his site and the dif's he builds.

http://www.dynotech-eng.com/dte_c5_diff.htm

You can PM or email me if you have any more questions or info.

Thanks, Perry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts