Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I posted this first in the wrong forum. So far no news is good news.

I have been hearing rumors in the track rat circles that issues over the Z06 rear end breaking exists. I do not want to hear this since I plan on tracking one next year. Anyone in the know out there who can shed light on the topic? This is a serious post, not just something to incite. I plan on retiring my GTS next year in favor of the Z06, but when stuff like this surfaces I pay attention. I had not heard stink about this until I was at Sebring last week.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The stock rear end holds up well in road racing. It does not do well in drag racing. There are some companies such as DTE that can make your stock Getrag much stronger.

In reference to the C5 drive-line from the weakest to the strongest are.

Clutch
Half-shaft
Tranny syncros
Differential

:z:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hello Greg.

You did have some guys post with info in your other drive-train thread. Below is a repeat of what I posted.

Yes, the rear has issues in a road course environment. Main issue is heat.

Drag Racing causes other issues as well.

I suggest that if you are tracking the car (Road Course) you at a minimum install a quality synthetic gear oil and serioulsy consider a dif cooler. (Tranny cooler also).

For the ultimate C5 dif I suggest you have Phil at DTE, a site sponsor build you one that will much better handle the track environment.

Here is a link to his site and the dif's he builds.

http://www.dynotech-eng.com/dte_c5_diff.htm

You can PM or email me if you have any more questions or info.

Thanks, Perry

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope everyone who is making replies based on the C5 understands this the C6 Z06 rear I am talking about.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hello.

Sorry, my misunderstanding. My experiances were relating to the C5 Z06 rear end.

I assumed you were speaking of the C5 Z06 rear end based on your statement of
I have been hearing rumors in the track rat circles that issues over the Z06 rear end breaking exists.
I didn't think the C6 Z06 Rear end had been out and used long enough for there to be rumors of breakage already.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did not either, that is why those comments took me by such surprise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts