Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Drivers seat back broken and is this the "rock and roll seat" term I hear about?

My drivers seat back portion pushes back and really doesnt lock down tight and stay supportive when driving. Its constantly giving and pushing back further on one side. The passenger seat is rock solid and doesnt give at all when pushing on it or sitting in it. Is this the term "rock and roll" seats I hear from some owners.

It seems like something is busted in the lower mechanism allowing the seat back to fall back more at an angle and not be as locked down solid. Maybe the passenger seat back is more solid because its not electric?

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Thats the rock and roll seat. Take it into the dealer and have it fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Sounds like the rocking seat issue for which there is a TSB. It's a warranty fix.

1997-2002: Service Bulletin: Driver Seat Movement During Acceleration and Braking (Replace Adjuster Assembly) Subject: Driver Seat Movement During Acceleration and Braking (Replace Adjuster Assembly)
Source: Chevrolet Dealer Technical Service Bulletin
Number: 02-08-50-002
Date: April 2002

Models: 1997-2002 Chevrolet Corvette with Power Seats (RPO AG1 or AG2) Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint 25106379

Condition: Some customers may comment on excessive movement in the driver seat during vehicle acceleration and braking.

Correction: A new seat adjuster assembly has been released to correct this condition. Replace the adjuster assembly. Refer to Front Seat Adjuster Replacement (SI Document ID# 656483) in the Seats sub-section of the Service Manual.

Parts Information:

Part Number

Description

Adjuster, D/Seat (w/o memory)

Adjuster, D/Seat (w/memory)

Adjuster Assembly, Front Seat Power -- Replace (Driver)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a 2003 though and from the previous post its covering up to 2002 only? I will take it in to dealer this afternoon ad see whats up.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I dont think this applies to the seat rocking recall. its different. My seat does not rock.

But mine has the same problem.. sometimes I get in, drive down the road and am really uncomfortable - cant figure it out.. then finally realize if I reset the latch that holds the seatback, I'm comfy again..my seatback was crooked!!

I took mine into the dealer and they lubricated...something.. It IS better, but it still does it occassionally, especially if I sort of fall into the car. Sounds like this may be a common problem. Mine is a 2004.

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
Ah - you are experiencing "Interior Detail Seat Back" syndrome or IDSBS ;)

This symptom first occured when I had my car detailed years ago.

If you try tilt the seat forward, and don't unlatch it first, then try reach down and use the recline lever to tilt all the way forward, the hinge/lock somehow jumps out on the one side.

You need to play with a combo of recline lever and seat back latch actuation to re-click the unlocked hinge.

I now tilt both seat backs forward using the latch before I nad the car over so the don't manhandle them forward while vacuuming.

I should add that I get my car "detailed" once every 15,000 miles - so I have reduced the risk to my seat backs substantially ;)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
RC45 said:
If you try tilt the seat forward, and don't unlatch it first, then try reach down and use the recline lever to tilt all the way forward, the hinge/lock somehow jumps out on the one side.

You need to play with a combo of recline lever and seat back latch actuation to re-click the unlocked hinge.)
You nailed the problem right on! That was the problem and its fixed now!

I will be in Spring next week visiting my parents...you anywhere near there RC45?

Thanks much!

·
Premium Member
5,276 Posts
^^ I am sort of close to that seciton of town. If you are here over a weekend, and gas isn't rationed, we might see if a couple of local Z's might get together for a lunch n drive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts