Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Z06 and probably other C5's have a horrible blind spot caused by the rear drivers side roof pillar. I attached one of those cheap 2" diameter convex stick-on mirrors to the outside edge of my drivers side rear view mirror. I'll let you guys know how it works.

Has anyone come up with other good ways to reduce this blind spot?

Rear view mirror adjustment is a related subject. The last time I had the pleasure of attending a California drivers school, the instructor showed us an excellent way to set up the rear view mirrors. Conventional wisdom has you set the window mounted mirror to center its view through the rear window, and adjust the side mirrors so they show the sides of your car in their inside edges. The method proposed by the instructor keeps the window mounted mirror view centered, but the side mirrors are adjusted so their inside edges just overlap the view in the front window mounted mirror. This approach results in much better coverage of the traffic behind you, which is how most traffic should be viewed in a Z06!

Comments appreciated.

John Pease

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I feel like "Goose" in Top Gun looking over my shoulder's for bogies when I change lanes :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
I saw a stick on mirror in Eckler's that has the little circular blind spot mirror built in but it looks cleaners as it is one unit that covers the entire mirror , vs. just the little circle you stick on.

I had circular mirrors on my prior Vettes and cars and they are great, but in watching the Z06 tape, it almost makes up for them if you angle the mirrors further out to the side.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I've adjusted my mirrors so they are further out than normal due to rear oncoming headlights reflecting into the car and blinding me. This has also seemed to help with the blind spot. I like the idea of the 2" mirrors though. I'll have to give them a try.

:cheers:

·
Registered
575 Posts
If you set your mirrors right you eliminate the blind spot. What I do is take a ride on the highway. I look out my rear view mirror as a car is approaching to pass me. I'll adjust the driver's side mirror so that, just as the car that is passing me leaves my rear view mirror, I pick it up in my driver's side mirror. Do this on the passanger side too and you've got all bases covered.

Bob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
blind spot

Cape Cod Bob reduced the blind spot by making the side mirror view slightly overlap the window mounted mirrors view.

I tried that but found that I could not see traffic on my left after they passed through the drivers side mirrors field of view. Traffic that is along side me, even with the rear wheel, and about 5' to my left cannot be seen without looking over my shoulder. Maybe my seat adjustment is wrong for the drivers side mirrors intended field of view. I'm not unusual - 6'0", but I like the euro-style steering wheel grip that puts me far away from the wheel.

I think Cape Cod Bob's mirror adjustment method is the best, but I need to use the stick-on convvex mirror as well.

·
Registered
575 Posts
On the driver's side mirror, you should have that adjusted so that when the car passing you is about to disappear, you pick it up on with your own eye. Takes a little adjusting but I don't have any blind spots once everything is adjusted.
Bob

·
Premium Member
20,626 Posts
Re: blind spot

I think Cape Cod Bob's mirror adjustment method is the best, but I need to use the stick-on convvex mirror as well. [/B][/QUOTE]

I think I might give these a try also. Never know when a uniform might :sneaky: up on ya.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Cape Cod Bob said:
On the driver's side mirror, you should have that adjusted so that when the car passing you is about to disappear, you pick it up on with your own eye. Takes a little adjusting but I don't have any blind spots once everything is adjusted.
Bob
This works great Have all my cars adjusted thisway:D

·
Registered
680 Posts
Cape Cod Bob said:
Bob

Ditto:D I've been doing it this way since I was 17, learned it in Defensive Driving School....had to go to get out of a ticket in my Cuda......I guess the Class really works:eek:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
What's the problem??? Just don't let anyone pass you on the left!! :D :D

·
Registered
575 Posts
I find letting the "men in blue" pass me by, a wise move!!!!:D
All others ... NAH!!!
Bob

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Z06_2002 said:
I feel like "Goose" in Top Gun looking over my shoulder's for bogies when I change lanes :D
I feel the need for SPEEEEEEED!!!!!:D :sneaky: :yeadog:

·
Registered
222 Posts
These ideas are good but don't address the problem of backing out of a parking space when parked next an SUV or pickup. By the time the pillar clears the rear of the car next to you enough so you can see out the side window, the entire back end of the car is exposed and open to getting slammed by someone passing by in the parking lot. Really nerve wracking. I just back out slowly and keep my fingers crossed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts