Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering RA1's (275/40/17 and 305/35/18 on stock rims) for a crossover street/track tire.

Will these tires:
1) Break away more abruptly than non-R rated tires?
2) Drive poorly in the rain?
3) Present any other issues given my objective of keeping them for street and track for 5 more DE's this season?
4) Make lap times improve over stock?

·
Registered
808 Posts
WhosUrDaddy said:
I'm considering RA1's (275/40/17 and 305/35/18 on stock rims) for a crossover street/track tire.

Will these tires:
I find that I can be even more aggressive in my cornering than before, however, I have a new alignment too.
I never drive my vette (intentionally) in the rain and so far haven't been caught since these tires have been on.
3) Present any other issues given my objective of keeping them for street and track for 5 more DE's this season?
I believe they are perfect for the street, I definitely have more traction under acceleration than I have ever had with the OEM GYs. You will have a lot of tire dust to contend with because the tire compound is so soft.
I haven't made it to the track, however, given the current improvement over stock I can only believe track times would equally improve.

·
Registered
149 Posts
That's the tires I run and they work well. If you plan on tracking the car dial in some extra negative camber. I have -1.7* front -1.1* rear and 0 toe. Tires are fine in the rain, just be careful once the tread is gone. If you get them full tread there is a small chance of blistering them if you manage to overheat them, I haven't heard of this happening. Good tire, FWIW I get mine from Vilven Tire in Royal, IL.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good info thanks. I spoke with Joe over at Phoenix - I'll be taking my car to him to be corner weighted, aligned, ride height adjusted, and engine tuned & dyno'd. I'm going to a Porsche DE 5/13, 14 & 15 at VIR with a few friends - tires will be capping off my prep.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hey WhosUrDaddy,

I'm told that my 555R2's are the same tire carcass with shorter bigger treadblocks.

I bought these as a dry tire, but have been caught in rain and driven at highway speeds on many ocassions. Very predictable, but prone to hydroplaining in more than 1/4" of water at speed.

RA-1 should be a little looser when new, but 2x better in rain to start off.

If this is your first visit to the Phoenix shop you will have fun, I shure did. My car got T-1 endlinks, Front bump steer kit, and their setup tricks. It came and left on stock tires so the difference just the setup made was obvious.

·
Banned
809 Posts
Arnoldir said:
Hey WhosUrDaddy,
I'm told that my 555R2's are the same tire carcass with shorter bigger treadblocks.
So, you're saying that the 555R2's have smaller tread blocks with more tread? Smaller blocks would make the tire quieter than bigger, more square treadblocks.

What would make a better street tire? The 555R2's or the Toyo RA1's?

What do you mean by tire dust? Is it bad when you're not at the track or pushing the tires?

Sal

·
Registered
344 Posts
Salvador,

The individual blocks are bigger (fewer groves), but the tread depth is only 5/32" so the 555R2 should feel tighter than the RA-1 when new.

RA-1 has 8/32" tread when new and has more groves in the tread (larger number of smaller individual blocks) so it should be a better rain tire.

I wanted maximum dry grip and did not care about tread life, hence the choice of the 555R2's.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered a set of unshaved RA1's for the street & track. Might get short lifespan but total cost has to be similar to some good street tires that are more expensive (Pilot Sports or PS2's).

I should be able to get about 1000 street/highway miles on them before a 3-day event at VIR. Do i still risk "chunking" them when i get to the track?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I ran mine almost brand new (<300 miles) and had no chunking at all. The track is hard on tires too. Just make sure your air pressure is ok and don't overdrive the car. If you're smooth, tires will be fine.

·
Registered
744 Posts
WhosUrDaddy said:

Will these tires:
1) No, predictable, can do controlled slides
2) No, good (road) racing rain tire, but only when relatively new
3) No, my experience was 8 track days + weekend driving + to/from track before next set needed
4) Yes, good for say 2 seconds on a 2 mile road course :coo:

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
99cobra said:
1) No, predictable, can do controlled slides
2) No, good (road) racing rain tire, but only when relatively new
3) No, my experience was 8 track days + weekend driving + to/from track before next set needed
4) Yes, good for say 2 seconds on a 2 mile road course :coo:
Yep, :jammin:

I ran these on Friday (4/22) at Pocono on the East Course and they were simply incredible. My only regret was not buying a set last fall.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Backlash said:
Yep, :jammin:

I ran these on Friday (4/22) at Pocono on the East Course and they were simply incredible. My only regret was not buying a set last fall.
Did you shave them? If so, how much?

·
Registered
891 Posts
After reading this thead, I can't wait until I get my CCWs with RA1s. I should have them by the end of the week!

·
Registered
41 Posts
WhosUrDaddy said:
Did you shave them? If so, how much?
I saw his tires and I'd have to say they were factory tread depth, no shaving.

For that particular event it was a good thing...gravel and rocks on the track destroyed one guy's brand new Hoosier slick and bent the bead on his Fikse rim. I nearly cried. My Goodyear GSCS slicks took a beating but held up OK, I missed the big boulder someone left on the track but had to run thru gravel several laps.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
crainholio said:
I saw his tires and I'd have to say they were factory tread depth, no shaving.
Yep, no shaving. I figured at this point the more time I can get out of the set, the better. Hopefully by the end of this season that will change....

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Backlash said:
Yep, no shaving. I figured at this point the more time I can get out of the set, the better. Hopefully by the end of this season that will change....
Supposedly you get more life from RA1's if they're shaved b/c add'l heat generated from unshaved blocks causes faster wear. Any experience with this?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts