Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

its been one month that I have my Z... and I love it!!!

so I planned a little road trip with my wife for our anniversary, plan to drive to Niagara falls, then to buffalo then back home (Montreal, Canada). Total mileage is around 1200miles, in 3 days...

Has anyone driven for like 6-8 straight hours in their Z...if so... any tips or words of widsom?

My Z has 21k miles, i did an oil change, new tires, alignment. The engine coolant is at the correct level, all fluids are ok. Anything else i should look out for?

thanks for any help

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi I just drove my Z 2100 miles and as long as you got all your maintence done and all fluids are up to the proper level the only advice I can give is grab a bunch of your favorite cds a camera, plan out some good food stops put the windows down put the pedal down and watch out for that permanant smile :D

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The only other thing you have to worry about is getting a flat tire. Other than that you're perfectly fine, and by the way the Z is pretty damn comfortable on road trips.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well I went 980 miles to see a woman 15 hr . got there She was ten years old then her pictures . And Big . Nixt day
went home 15 hrs . Was not fun . But I do love My Z It was so nice to me it got 30 mpg . On the way back a old Z28 .that had alot of done And tryed me out . That made the trip Good

·
Registered
41 Posts
Cell phone & AAA Drove mine to Dallas from Pa. last year, ran like a top!

·
Registered
139 Posts
blkZ06 said:
I drive 6 hrs one way to the track, drive ALL wknd at the track and drive 6 hrs home-do it every month.
No WAY I can match that ! :coo:
But, I got the car new last July. 11,000 miles.
I've driven from AZ to CA and back (7 hours one-way). Twice.
AZ to Colorado and back (8 hours one-way).
Colorado to Taos, NM and back for lunch (500 mile round-trip).
Flat tires are my only concern.
Like above, get a cellphone onboard and go for it. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
go to the autoparts store and buy a tire plug kit.. i like it better than the fixaflat..
take the kit.. and some needle nose pliars.. "in case of screw or nail to pull"
then pack light and take the cel phone.

have fun

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
These cars aree amazingly comfortable on long trips you'll have a blast. Just try to avoid speeding tickets!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Cobra4B said:
These cars are amazingly comfortable on long trips you'll have a blast. Just try to avoid speeding tickets!
That's true. It's very easy to go fast without even realizing it. :cheers:

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I take my Z on road trips all the time...very nice car to be in for hours on end. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I've been Massachusetts to Florida a few times now in the last year. About 1300 miles each way. Not a problem. All you need is Starbucks, a couple of packs of cigarettes, and a decent-sized MP3 player and you'll be as good to go as it's possible to be!

·
Registered
23 Posts
When I bought my Z, I flew to Va from south Fl an drove it home 1180 miles. Loved everyone of them.....
The Z is great for a road trip.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
I'm headed out to NV from NY for a Corvette rally in Primm. Leaving Friday and plan on arriving next Tuesday. The round trip will be somewhere around 4600 miles.

Cell phone, tire repair kit, MP3 player, CD's and a list of Dunkin' Donuts along the way. What else could I possibly need? :D

Charlie

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
I drove mine to Bowling Green for the fest last July. 1250 miles each way and loved every minute of it. Averaged over
28 mpg even with the occasional blasts into the triple digits
with the caravan. GREAT car for road trips.....can't wait to do it again! Go for it! :thumb: :thumb:

Jim

·
Registered
833 Posts
Your biggest problem is that.... you won't want to stop. :) Have fun!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Drove mine from the UK to Sweden and back in 4 days total trip was 2,500 miles and the car never missed a beat and was very comfortable. We experienced all of the elements as well, driving rain and fog at 50 degrees one day and 80 degrees and sunny the next.
Apart from the dead things stuck to the front of the car you would never have known the car had done 2,500 miles!

Most of these miles were done at very illiegal U.S. speeds....as I averaged about 90 mph for the trip as this included running on the autobahns in Germany for part of the trip. Sweden's roads are also fun as there is not much traffic, but you do have to look out for the moose!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You'll be fine! Enjoy.

You have a cell for anything bad that happens. Check the tires when you fill up for gas for nails/screws (I do it every fill up, no matter where I am). Caught one in my wife's car as we were in hour #3 of our 22 hour drive to CA this Xmas. Easily changed it before it was a problem.

I've been to CA and back in the vette (total of about 5000 mile round trip) and from BG home to TX after buying the car. A few rock chips is all that happened. Enjoy!

chris

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
No problem with 1,200 miles in several days. Don't forget the Valentine 1, and take regular breaks to stretch your legs and clear out the cobwebs.

Drive safely & have fun! :cheers:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
If you care about the paint on the front end, get yourself the GM bra and mirror covers. Sure saves the paint and makes getting the bugs and livestock off the front end a lot easier. :thumb: As mentioned, watch out for the police and those unmarked state cars. :eek:o: When you see an open stretch of hwyway, open her up and see what se'll do! :cheers: Have fun!

Bob :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts