Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many members have been to one of the high performance driving schools? How was it? The one thing I learned after getting my Z is that I really don't know how take it to it's limits. Not even close. I'm thinking of going to one of them next summer and wondered what you folks thought of them. Thanks:eek:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Sodian:

Good question....Couple years ago I signed up for the 3 day Rupert Bragg-Smith Level 1 driving school in Pahrump, Nevada. It was incredible! We had excellent instructors, well planned exercises, plenty of track time, and RBS has C5 Corvettes or Camaros for the students. Of course, I chose Corvette and can't say enough for the experience.

Justin Bell offers a fine Corvette driving school in Florida, and I am anxious to attend that school next!!!! Click on his logo to the left for more details <-------.

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
thx2.net said:
I plan to go to Bragg-Smith in NV for their level 1 class June 3 - 5th. :cheers:
Gonna be hotter than a son of " " you fill in the blank :) Do you already have reservations? I was thinking of hosting a company party there :lol:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Driving School

Go the www.roadatlanta.com and select Panoz Racing school from the links page. It is an excellent program and track.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I did the Skip Barber 3 day racing school last year... can't say enough good things about that program, absolutely fantastic.

I keep eyeing the Justin Bell banner on the left... it'd be great to do it with a Z. Particularly someone else's Z.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
There were about 8 of us from the forum that attended the Justin Bell school in south Florida. It was first rate and a huge fun factor. I would certainly recommend it to anyone that loves speed and driving on a real track.

They use SS Camaros, C5-Coupes and Z06s. I talked to a guy from the school last week at the NCRS and they should have the 2002s in very soon.

It's also a great area to take the family and let them play at the beach, golf course or shopping if your wallet can tolerate the cost.

Good luck!

Don

·
Registered
362 Posts
Many local chapters of the major car clubs (BMW, Porsche are two I've attended) run weekend long driving schools at various tracks across the country. The schools typically cost $200-300 for the weekend and you get around 2-3 hours of track time (that's more than plenty for your first school). The format typically includes 2-3 hours of class time with the chief instructor and 3-4 run sessions per day each lasting 20-25 minutes. There are typically 4-5 different run groups so people of like experience are out on the track together. You will have an instructor (someone who has also brought their own car and is running in a higher run group) in the passenger seat at all times (after you get some experience, the instructors will typically sign you off to drive solo after the first 3-4 run sessions). The quality of instruction can be a bit hit or miss, but you'll still learn a ton. To me, this is a much easier way to get your feet wet than signing up for one of the professional schools.

The other nice thing about these schools is seeing all the other car nuts in a wide variety of street/race cars. You see everything from stock VWs or BMW's to race prepared Porsche's and Ferraris. Some guys pull up in mobile homes with 40' double deck enclosed trailers complete with satellite dishes, a/c etc. It's a sight to behold for a commoner like me. A bit of a freak show if you know what I mean. All good people though.

FYI, Road Atlanta scares the sh_t out of me! Too many concrete walls and not enough run off (aka - oops I f_cked up and am going off the track) room. Try Virginia International Raceway (nicest track in the Eastern US), Carolina Motorsports Park or Roebling Road if you live in the Southeast.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yikes - that last post was supposed to be for the slic 50 question.

I highly recommend a driving school. I went to the Mid-Ohio course and it was great. The only negative is that we were running FD Hondas. There are places that run Z's and I would be interested in go to those. Justin Bell, etc...
:)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I took one of those classes two years back, it was a two day event, 30minutes each track session, and 3 track sessions a day. It was awesome. It was at Watkins Glen. What a great track. Too bad I took it before I bought the Z06. It would have been fun if I was on that track with the Z. Maybe this year. ;)

·
Registered
787 Posts
I've been to Bondurant on a number of occasions to brush up. They've got a bunch of different courses that are excellent. I know, I know, they use Mustangs... but you learn a ton about car control.

:cheers:

·
Registered
384 Posts
What is the cost of the Justin Bell courses. I will be vacationing in the Del Ray Beach area in the next few months. Haven't picked the time yet. I would be interested in attending one of these schools.

PS is there any Corvette related functions that will be happening in the Florida area that I could attend?

Can't wait for my 02'

Thanks Dean

·
Registered
384 Posts
Been there and done that, but the site lacks alot of info. I have also sent them an email to request further info,

Thanks again
Dean

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yes there is a contact number, but I just wanted some rough info for know, once I know the time frame of my vacation I will be firming things up.

Dean

1 - 20 of 23 Posts