Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are the "old" style Doug Rippie Motorsports front brake duct extensions. I ran them on my '02 Z06 on and off for 10,000 miles or so. The tires wore through the hard plastic of the brake ducts, but some duct tape would seal them up. The ducts are made of two pieces of plastic "welded" together and on one side the seam split at the opening facing the brakes... Could be glued or screwed together.

Comes with STOCK front brake ducts cut to length, DRM brake duct extensions, brake ducting rubber hoses, hose clamps, etc.

$100 shipped.

Brian (707) 480-7275

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pics on the way...

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
I just finished an install of "new" ( I guess, since I just got them in June) DRM ducts, Phoenix spindle mounts, and hose. Any one needing experience update, PM me.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DennyM said:
I just finished an install of "new" ( I guess, since I just got them in June) DRM ducts, Phoenix spindle mounts, and hose. Any one needing experience update, PM me.

What size hose did you use? What size hose do the Phoenix spindle mounts take? And what do you need to remove to install the spindle mounts?

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Hose is Flexhaust product, 3 1/3 " diameter. That's what DRM shipped with the ducts.
Instructions for the Phoenix mounts are on the PFYC (over there <<<<< order page) I just printed them out. Mounting is simple .. get a 7/16 SAE thread tap and tap an existing hole. I used Blue loctite on the thread. mebbe should have used red ... we'll see.
Only thing you have to remove is the Wheel (of course), and unplug the ABS sensor (you'll have to cut a slot in the hose and feed the sensor connector back thru and plug it in before clamping the hose on to the spindle mount.
I was able to slip the duct hose over both the DRM outlet and the Phoenix spindle mount. Here's how:

Measure the hose by (using the driver's side as example) turning the rotor all the way left; fully extending the hose, and measuring such that you enough to span the distance and have have 3/4" more on either end to clamp on to the duct and the spindle mount respectively.
Cut the hose; and clip the stainless spring steel wire reinforcement 3/4" in on either end. Do this by making a small cut thru the fabric on the wire, enough to get a pair of wire cutters on the wire, and snip.
Then cut the wire again halfway between that cut and the end of the hose (we'll say 3/8 " from the end. If possible, pull the two pieces of wire out; if not, at least you can now pull and stretch the fabric, which is necessary to work it over the DRM duct end and the Phoenix mount end. I also snipped the nylon reinforcement thread in several places. By doing this, and using a pair of needle-nose pliers I was able to work the duct fabric over each end, and clamp it down with the supplied hose clamps.
Note that when you're working, the angle from the DRM duct, mounted as per the picture, to the spindle mount is downward. You want the hose tight at full left lock when you're working, as when you go to full right lock, it compresses quite a bit.
Don't forget to connect your ABS sensor back up!
Once you get the wheel back on, the duct sits parallel from Duct to Spindle.
BTW ... I have a couple lessons learned on the DRM duct install that I edited into the instructions and sent to DRM.
I can share this with anyone facing this install.
HTH

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Please do share the lessons learned on the DRM product. I know my first install I might have cut my factory ducts a bit too short on one side and I lost my brake duct screen... So you want that longer then shorter to keep tension on the inner front bumper.

Also, the old style DRM setup had a hole about mid way through the ducting to use a screw to hold the duct in place. Their new style does not have a hole for mounting.

Thanks for the rest of that writeup.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just visited the Phoenix website again with no luck. That has to be the WORST designed "professional" website I've ever been on.

So, where are the spindle mount pics/instructions?

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
I was also underwhelmed by the Phoenix site, and couldn't contact anyone there to talk to, so I ordered thru PFYC (over there <<<<<)
The instructions are downloadable from the page picturing the mounts.
Below are the DRM instructions, with my added notes.
DRM C5 Brake Duct Kit
1.) Remove wheels and support vehicle securely.
2.) Remove ‘Close Out Panels’ (Aft of Spoiler on each side.)
3.) Remove O.E. Ducts from vehicle and trim both per enclosed illustration, (Note Right and Left Markings on O.E. and DRM Ducts.)
Tip: Since I could not figure out how to twist the ducts and collapse them through the fender wall I took a PVC saw and sawed thru them inside the fender. Took about 2 minutes. Make sure you do it within about an inch of the fender. You will later have to cut them at 10 ½ inches, per illustration.
4.) Trim inner fender skirt duct hole back towards frame to allow DRM Duct to fit through.
I took a piece of thin cardboard (from a 12-pack of beer) and made a template configured to the shape of the DRM duct I used that to mark the cut; My cut stayed about 3/8” from the frame rail. I used a scroll saw.
5.) Install modified O.E. Duct back in place while joining with DRM Duct and aligning the final fit. (Note for any possible interference and adjust accordingly.
I made four cuts about 2” long as an “X” on the OEM duct, in order to slide it into the DRM extension. I trial fitted the pieces, then separated, fitted the OEM duct to the inlet, slid the DRM extension thru the hole, fitted and aligned so that there was compression tension on the OEM duct to hold it fixed to the inlet, held the DRM extension and did steps 6 & 7 below. I then came back and fixed a screw from the bottom, to complete this step (DRM + O.E. Duct with 2 screws to prevent separation.)
6.) Drill small hole into frame corresponding with the outlet hole in duct.
Per pics, drilled pilot hole center of duct opening. Easy.
7.) Install screw and washer to secure the brake duct into the vehicle.
Best to use a nut driver (I used a 1/4 drive rachet and socket) for this hex head screw.
8.) Slip thread duct hose over DRM Duct (Place ABS Wires in center of hose) and secure snug with supplied hose clamp.
Actually, slit the hose about 1/2 x 1" between the wire coils of the hose at the rotor end and slide the ABS connector thru the slit.
Tip: Put the key in the acc position to unlock the steering wheel, turn the wheel all the way left, measure maximum extended length of duct hose; then turn all the way to the right, measure maximum compression length of duct hose. Fully compress the hose, measure, pull it out to extended length, ensure that it extends to maximum extended length. Then cut.
9.) Use supplied zip ties to pinch ends to aim toward rotor and avoid any wheel/suspension contact.
I didn't use these; I used Phoenix spindle mounts.
10) Replace ‘Close Out Panels’

1 - 12 of 12 Posts