Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd post this while fresh in my mind. Installed it this weekend, and with no directions (DRM gives pictures only) it took far longer than it should have. Hope this will help others.

1) You will need to remove the spring loaded under fascia front spoiler piece.
a) I needed to cut a piece out of the top right corner about 1.5h x 5w inches to clear the braided hoses
2) Route the lines next.
a) From the front of the radiator go under the radiator.
b) The hose next goes over the aluminum crossmember but under the steering rack.
c) Now you go straight back between the motor mount and motor (tight but goes thru even with the hose ends on - go oone hose at a time here. Watch the wiring harness / wires, don't get them in between your two hoses. there is a good view of this if you take off the wheel)
d) Your hoses should arrive near the oil filter.
3) Remove the oil filter (I didn't drain, just caught about 1/2 a quart in a pan)
4) Remove the electric line off the stock piece above the filter. (Just pry up the plastic clip and pull). Also remove the fitting - you will need to re-use.
a) This piece is bolted in with 2 small bolts (10mm socket) and must be removed next (this is the piece replaced by the neat machined aluminum "adapter" or "hose block." Remove it.
b) Install the brass fitting for the electric pickup on the new adapter.
c) Install the hose ends to the new adapter. Use blue thread lock.Tighten not only the hose ends, but also the fittings that go between the ends and the adapter. Caution - make sure you use the shorter hose on the front of the adapter, you will need every inch. The longer hose goes on the back.
d) Install the electric pick up on the brass fitting.
e) Using the new gasket, install the new adapter. Don't overtighten those small bolts.
5) Back in the front, now install the hose ends to the new heat exchanger. Again, use the blue thread lock, and tighten not only the ends, but the supplied fittings that go into the heat exchager, and accept the hose ends. The long hose goes to the left, short to the right.
6) Place the bracket in place on the square tube that runs horizontally just under where the spoiler was. Don't try to install the bracket to the heat exchanger, and then install th assembly. I tried this, didn't work for me.
a) Place the heat exchanger on top of it, this may take some wriggling. Be careful not to damage the radiator, as you install the heat exhanger.
b) Now put in the 4 bolts holding the heat exchanger to the brackets - nut is on top
7) Clamp the bracket to the square tube with a vice grips and drill your 3 holes throught the tube, aligning with the holes in the bracket.
8) Install the 3 bolts that hold the bracket in place.
9) Re-install the spring loaded spoiler.

Voila!

I have pictures if people need them.

:yeadog:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Based upon this explanation, it appears that no permanent modifications were made to the car. Am I correct in concluding that the oil cooler can be removed and the oil filter put back on?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have an Earl's 41912 oil cooler if anyone is interested. I have to run the 81912 in T1 and don't need this one any more. The highest oil temp I've seen with either of them is 240...and that was near 100 degree heat...and before I added the DRM radiator.

It sells for about $140 and I'm asking $50. Email me at [email protected] if interested.

Chris

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WayneE said:
I'd love to see some pics. I want to install an oil cooler on my car.
I'll try to e-mail you the pics. :thumb: Although I do know how to install a cooler, I don't know how to post pics! :(

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bob said:
Based upon this explanation, it appears that no permanent modifications were made to the car. Am I correct in concluding that the oil cooler can be removed and the oil filter put back on?
All mods can be reversed outside of 3 small holes drilled for bracket and trimming of the spring loaded bottom front spoiler.

The oil filter is only removed during installation for ease of getting at the piece removed and replaced by the "hose block". :cheers:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WayneE said:
I'm interested in something that doesn't interfere with the oil lines for my supercharger or the heat exchanger for the supercharger IC. :)

Who sells oil cooler kits?
Got my kit at Doug Rippie Motorsports.

·
Registered
412 Posts
99cobra said:
I have pictures if people need them.
Thanks for the excellent post; I am awaiting delivery of my DRM engine oil cooler kit, and you instructions should help immensely with the install.

Can you please email the pics to [email protected]?

Thanks! :cheers:

Have you considered installing an external oil thermostat?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bob said:
Where does the oil filter go once the cooler is installed?
With this setup the oil filter stays as is - stock. The "hose block" (aluminum piece that accepts both out and return hoses) goes just above to the side of the filter and replaces a small piece that as stock is the attach point for oil temp sending unit. You only remove filter during installation, as a matter of convenience. :thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts