Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Drop outs if price is to high

8K views 107 replies 44 participants last post by  smook 
#1 ·
If GM puts the 2006 Z06 price above the low-mid $60's there will be a lot of people on the list dropping out. Especially if they pull the dealership markup trip like they tried to do on my 1990 ZR1.

I for one will walk. And 4 of my friends will do the same. Let's face it the big draw is the new LS7. I hope GM realizes this so they can sell the cars instead of having them sit around.

If they put the price in Viper land they are heading for financial trouble.

Just my opinion but GM reviews these web sights and I hope they read this. Keep the price down. :z:

#3 ·
That's what GM must know. We can all buy and install the LS7. GM keep the price down or you'll be sorry. :usa:

#4 ·
george said:
That's what GM must know. We can all buy and install the LS7. GM keep the price down or you'll be sorry. :usa:
uh, the LS7 alone is going to be about 15K. If you put a LS7 in a loaded Z51, you're looking at around 70K total price installed. You sure you want to do that as a cheaper alternative to the Z06? Why wouldn't you just get engine mods to get you up to the level of the LS7? Of course, that's still going to cost about 7K. Add brakes, wheel/tires, flared fenders, a new half shaft, a new main shaft in your tranny, new trans cooler, new oil cooling, a larger rear end (ratio the same, just larger and more robust), larger sway bars, and stiffer springs and you're looking at a much larger price tag.

You sure that's what GM should worry about?

#5 ·
kamikazichaser said:
uh, the LS7 alone is going to be about 15K. If you put a LS7 in a loaded Z51, you're looking at around 70K total price installed. You sure you want to do that as a cheaper alternative to the Z06? Why wouldn't you just get engine mods to get you up to the level of the LS7? Of course, that's still going to cost about 7K. Add brakes, wheel/tires, flared fenders, a new half shaft, a new main shaft in your tranny, new trans cooler, new oil cooling, a larger rear end (ratio the same, just larger and more robust), larger sway bars, and stiffer springs and you're looking at a much larger price tag.

You sure that's what GM should worry about?
Regardless the Z06 is the poor mans exotic. If it went even close to the price of a viper and I had the money I would get the Viper all day over the Z06 because it is no longer the poors mans exotic. Its already almost out of the same price bracket in my mind at 65k but 70-75K is out of the ball park compared to the last z06.

#6 ·
GM was just rated JUNK by the Standards & Poors on Wall Street. That means they will have alot of trouble borrowing money at JUNK status. I just looked at GMparts direct and found the LS2 crate mtr pn 12499750 for $5250.00 and the LS6 long block pn 12498399 for $5030.13. A 502hp 502ci off road complete engine is only a couple grand more.

Where do you get $15,000.00 from for an LS7? Give me the part number and I'll look it up.

Your not on the same team as I am. We are supposed to stick together. GM reads these threads. Your comments don't help keep the price down friend for those who are going to buy one.

#7 ·
george said:
GM was just rated JUNK by the Standards & Poors on Wall Street. That means they will have alot of trouble borrowing money at JUNK status. I just looked at GMparts direct and found the LS2 crate mtr pn 12499750 for $5250.00 and the LS6 long block pn 12498399 for $5030.13. A 502hp 502ci off road complete engine is only a couple grand more.

Where do you get $15,000.00 from for an LS7? Give me the part number and I'll look it up.

Your not on the same team as I am. We are supposed to stick together. GM reads these threads. Your comments don't help keep the price down friend for those who are going to buy one.
You are SO right.
I wonder where all these idiots will be who claim "the Z would be a bargain at $75k and I'd buy one" when the car finallly hits the showroom.

I guess that most of them will NEVER buy the Z or a LS7.
I venture the guess that most of them will remain in front of their TV's playing Gran Turismo video games while still claiming the Z is a good deal no matter what the cost.

Point I'm making:
unless you made the money, you already have a deposit, and you wil be taking immediate delivery, don't tell me what's a good deal or what you would spend.

You can't tell me what you would do because you don't know yourself until you are in that position.

Because I tell you what....
I have earned $75k cash that I have liquid, I've had a deposit since last year, and I will not be buying the new Z if it has any more than a $10k premium over the coupe.

GM:
If you price this thing any higher, you are going to be making another BIG mistake to support your recent corporate rating.

If you think I am wrong,
let's wait and see.

#8 ·
Right on. I got Fu**ed on my new 1990 ZR1. When they first came out they sold then they sat. I bought mine off the showroom floor in August 1990 and didn't pay the $10,000.00 mark up. I wasn't impressed until the engine had over 3500 miles. Simply put the car wasn't worth what I paid for it. I'm sure GM had an A or AAA rating then too, not Junk status.

I'm on the waiting list with Rick Daniels and plan on getting the new Z06 and racing it like my 02. Living 5 miles from the track why play on the street.

#12 ·
www.GMdirect.com, crate engines, 572ci/620hp deluxe engine pn. 12498793 = $11,710.00

Deluxe all out race engine, 572ci/720hp/685 ft.pds of torque pn. 12498827 = $12,825.00

Just go to www.GMdirect.com type in the part numbers (pn.)

#14 ·
Just saw two Vipers tonight. A black and a red convertible. Looking like a realistic purchase if GM wants to play in that ballpark. At least my Grandmother can tell the difference. :sneaky:

#15 ·
For the cats that aren't up to date on stocks and bonds here's the scoop. I bought back in 2000 a ton of WorldCom or as I call it WorldCon. It had a AAA rating corp/bond. When the sh** hit the fan I was lucky and got out at 8 cents on the dollar. The corp/bonds went to junk so all the GM bond holders I feel your pain right in the wallet.

IF they (GM) don't get there act together they will lose their loyal followers like me. :jammin:

#16 ·
Anything above 65k and you can forget about it. Not worth it!!!
Above 65k, i m droping out!

low-mid 60k is what i am willing to pay!
Hopefully GM makes it cost in that range, otherwise i will just wait and get it used (low-high 50s K) 1 year used!

#17 ·
george said:
It was a Dave Hill quote. The LS7 is not available yet.

george said:
Your not on the same team as I am.
You are so right. I play on the team that doesn't think that the price of the Z06 is dependent on wishes, but instead is based on cost, margin, and market.

I knew you would respond in such a way. Did I say I wanted the price high? Nope. I said that duplicating the Z would be cost prohibitive relative to the price of a Z.

Look, if you want to play the "Z06 better cost less than 60K because that's what I can afford" game, more power to you. I personally hope that the car is priced fairly for what is offered. Like every other car I have purchased in my life, I will gauge its cost to produce, allow for profit, and compare what I come up with to the price of the car. If the price of the car is far higher than what I come up with, then I move on.

Simply put, the price of an item at retail is based on what it costs to make, the margin needed on the item, and market forces. In this case, as is the case with every car made, the final cost of the car is tallied, the execs hand down the target margin for the car (a process that probably happened first), and the market is looked at (that includes them reading this site). Now, the first two are usually fixed initially. The third one is based on the economy, competition, and desire.

You're right in that GM will guage the desire by looking at this web site among many sources. There is no factor that can be applied to the car's price to make it overcome cost, however, and I don't see how you can start with a loaded Z51, add the stuff on a Z06 at cost, and end up at 60K. Forget about margin, desire, etc. Just add the extras at cost.

You tell me. How much does a loaded Z51 cost?
Now, what is the minimum you would add for the following items:
LS7
20pistons worth of brakes
CF fenders
AL frame
CF floor
beefed up tranny and rear diff
wheel/tire
suspension upgrades

Don't consider anything else. Just tell me what you think those things will add to the price over a loaded Z51.

Now, what the hell does GM's ability to float bonds have to do with Vette production and pricing? The entire vette program is a few million including all the assets. GM has 300BILLION in bond debt. If you had to write the entire program off, it would barely register. As it is, the vette program makes a profit. It's selfsustaining. Wixom is already built. The C6 design is on the road. GM doesn't need to dump serious cash into the program for years. So you tell me what bonds have to do with Vettes right now.

Enlighten me with those two pieces of information George (or anyone else).

#18 ·
george said:
www.GMdirect.com, crate engines, 572ci/620hp deluxe engine pn. 12498793 = $11,710.00

Deluxe all out race engine, 572ci/720hp/685 ft.pds of torque pn. 12498827 = $12,825.00

Just go to www.GMdirect.com type in the part numbers (pn.)

You understand that these engines weigh about twice as much as the LS7 right? And they're big blocks. They won't fit in a vette. Actually, they probably won't fit in any non truck produced right now by GM.

#19 ·
reproman said:
Just saw two Vipers tonight. A black and a red convertible. Looking like a realistic purchase if GM wants to play in that ballpark. At least my Grandmother can tell the difference. :sneaky:
Hey the Viper is a nice car! Go for it. However, I really want someone to tell me why they say what you just typed.

Ok, follow me here...
You like Vettes, right?
And the Z06 is a nice looking Vette, right?
And the Z06 outperforms the Viper, right?
Now, if you answer no to any of those three questions, then more power to you, I understand your reasoning.

But, if you answer yes to all three questions AND you won't buy the vette at some discount vs the Viper > 0 (ie it costs some amount less, just don't know how much), then I don't understand at all.

#20 ·
Kamikaze -- blah.

Get of your throne with the "it should be priced fairly" bs. I am so sick of people who DO NOT own a C5 Z06 running their mouths about either what a "great deal" the C6 Z or try to use some vapor economics to justify cost. Frankly, nobody knows enough to come up with a rational un-biased solution as to what it "should" be priced. Frankly, I could care less what a "fair" price for GM is. I want to buy a car, not enter into a moral discusion about ethics.

Most of us CURRENT C5 Z06 owners bought our cars new when the tech bubble had just begun to burst. As such I think it's safe to say most of us were probablly flush with a little more cash. As a result of a better economy and 0.0%APR on these cars, many of us were able to purchase a brand spanking new Z06. Now the economy is no longer what it was, and we are looking at a car that is going to be at least 20K more then a new C5 Z! That coupled with the fact, that the C5 Z has depreciated faster then WorldCom stock has left many with some real bitterness to GM.

I'm glad there are non-C5 Z06 owners who are willing to pay through the nose to own a C6 Z, but I want GM to know that a majority (with the exception of Norm and Zippy) are not.

So please don't preach to us about what is fair for GM.

-N

#21 ·
Let me also add that amongst CURRENT C5 Z owners on this board, the price point that has been expressed by a majority on this site is $65K. You can try to dazzle me with your Greenspan-esque corvette-economics, but that is the figure that people here have said is their go/no go point. Sure you can argue that the figure may not include ALL Z06 owners (since only a fraction post here) or it may not even include all Z06 Forum members -- nonetheless, it is the figure that is constantly touted as the line in the sand.

So I think George is speaking for us CURRENT C5 Z owners on this board, when he talks about a mid-60K figure being the drop off point for many.

-N

#22 ·
Nabbs said:
Kamikaze -- blah.

Get of your throne with the "it should be priced fairly" bs. I am so sick of people who DO NOT own a C5 Z06 running their mouths about either what a "great deal" the C6 Z or try to use some vapor economics to justify cost. Frankly, nobody knows enough to come up with a rational un-biased solution as to what it "should" be priced. Frankly, I could care less what a "fair" price for GM is. I want to buy a car, not enter into a moral discusion about ethics.

Most of us CURRENT C5 Z06 owners bought our cars new when the tech bubble had just begun to burst. As such I think it's safe to say most of us were probablly flush with a little more cash. As a result of a better economy and 0.0%APR on these cars, many of us were able to purchase a brand spanking new Z06. Now the economy is no longer what it was, and we are looking at a car that is going to be at least 20K more then a new C5 Z! That coupled with the fact, that the C5 Z has depreciated faster then WorldCom stock has left many with some real bitterness to GM.

I'm glad there are non-C5 Z06 owners who are willing to pay through the nose to own a C6 Z, but I want GM to know that a majority (with the exception of Norm and Zippy) are not.

So please don't preach to us about what is fair for GM.

-N
Didn't say it was fair for GM. And I don't preach. I also didn't compare the car to a C5. I compared it to a C6Z51. The C5 is no longer produced. The C6Z51 is. Therefore I know what its market price is. Why would you think that the pricing of a car is in some way dependant on your financial fortune? And as far as I can tell, no car has ever been priced relative to some event in the past or past prices. Hey, if you don't want to buy the car, don't buy the car. How hard is that?

#23 ·
I have a 2003 Z06 which I think if I am lucky will get about $35,000 on a trade in or out right sale for the new Z06. So in 2 years I lose $10,000 on what I paid or $20,000 from sticker. If the New Z is $75,000, thats a delta of $40,000 from my current value on my 03. Even if the new Z is $65,000, thats a delta of $30,000 to own the new Z. Think I'll keep my 03 Z and buy the Shelby GT500 450 horse for around $40000 ( I hope) in 07. 2 for the price of one. The new 427 would be awsome, but side ways in my 03 is still a thrill to me, at no extra cost. And yes, if it is $75,000, I would by a new Viper anyway.

#24 ·
Nabbs said:
Let me also add that amongst CURRENT C5 Z owners on this board, the price point that has been expressed by a majority on this site is $65K. You can try to dazzle me with your Greenspan-esque corvette-economics, but that is the figure that people here have said is their go/no go point. Sure you can argue that the figure may not include ALL Z06 owners (since only a fraction post here) or it may not even include all Z06 Forum members -- nonetheless, it is the figure that is constantly touted as the line in the sand.

So I think George is speaking for us CURRENT C5 Z owners on this board, when he talks about a mid-60K figure being the drop off point for many.

-N
I, too, believe the price will be right around 65000 (maybe a little more, but not much). Please don't take this the wrong way, but I don't car about George, or you, in relationship to the price of the Z. While I would love for everyone to be able to get any car they want, it just isn't that way. Much like you, I have a price point that I will not go beyond. Unlike you, and George, I understand that the car is priced based on certain factors I described, NOT what my price point is. If the car is priced beyond my reach, I will simply look elsewhere.

Don't worry. Either way, the price is set at this point, and no amount of lobbying will change that.

#25 ·
rhinoevans said:
I have a 2003 Z06 which I think if I am lucky will get about $35,000 on a trade in or out right sale for the new Z06. So in 2 years I lose $10,000 on what I paid or $20,000 from sticker. If the New Z is $75,000, thats a delta of $40,000 from my current value on my 03. Even if the new Z is $65,000, thats a delta of $30,000 to own the new Z. Think I'll keep my 03 Z and buy the Shelby GT500 450 horse for around $40000 ( I hope) in 07. 2 for the price of one. The new 427 would be awsome, but side ways in my 03 is still a thrill to me, at no extra cost. And yes, if it is $75,000, I would by a new Viper anyway.
You're right, it's expensive business. Be glad you love your car. Me? I miss a vette. I haven't had one in years and I need that feeling again. Yes, a Z51 would be fine, but I raced oh so many years ago, so I have it in my mind I want to put her on the track. Therefore, I'm looking at the Z06.

I'm curious, and I've been asking it of anyone who says that last line you typed. Why would you get a Viper if the Z06 is less expensive and outperforms it? I'm not saying you shouldn't, I'm just searching for a reason. Have you driven a Viper? In my opinion it can't be driven daily as a vette can. I do love its brash nature tho. I'd just rather have a more balanced car such as the Z06. To each his own, but I really am curious as to your reasoning.

#26 ·
kamikazichaser said:
Didn't say it was fair for GM. And I don't preach. I also didn't compare the car to a C5. I compared it to a C6Z51. The C5 is no longer produced. The C6Z51 is. Therefore I know what its market price is. Why would you think that the pricing of a car is in some way dependant on your financial fortune? And as far as I can tell, no car has ever been priced relative to some event in the past or past prices. Hey, if you don't want to buy the car, don't buy the car. How hard is that?
Did I say pricing should be consistent with MY financial fortune? Since you seem to be inept at reading let me clarify -- 2001 - 2004 more disposable income, lower interest rates, incentives from GM == strong C5 Z sales. Fast-forward to current day: less disposable income, no incentives/higher interest rates, and a car that is going to be priced higher then it's predecessor. Yet this is a car that is supposed to be the sum of all of the wishes of the CURRENT C5 Z owner base? More importantly it's supposed to be a package that we all gearing up to move to?

Even with all those goodies, many C5 Z owners will not jump into a new Z at a price higher then $65K. You can attach whatever explanation you want, the bottom line is that is the limit for most here.

-N

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.