Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the shifter in the Z last night and it was a very easy mod. One problem, a small ( L ) shaped pin dropped into the tunnel through the shifter assembly opening. I didn't notice this before I started and was wondering what it's for and where it goes. Also is there a way to get into that tunnel I can't even see the pin anymore it slid while trying to retrieve. The pin again is L shaped about a 1/16" diameter , and about an 1' long.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:eek: :-? :-?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Fortunately for you bro you don't need that pin for the aftermarket shifter, at least not on a Hurst, the others I don't know. Its part of the stock shifter riggin I think, looks as if all it does is hold the stock shifter aligned. I'm not really sure, someone in the know will chime up here shortly. Anyway, good news, you don't need it for the after market shifter.
I dropped a torx bit in the tunnel when I was replacing my stock shifter with a Hurst. Never saw it again. I bought a magnet and one of them mirrors for looking in small places and couldn't see it or retrieve it.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I believe it's called a neutral alignment pin. Leaving it in there won't hurt but you can try a flexible mechanics magnet to fish it out...it's made of steel.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey NavyPhrog thanks for the advice. This honestly could have been a 45 minute mod till this happened. Drove to the local auto store also, bought the magnet , the mirror, and the retrieval tool with the little claws. Searched for over an hour and NOTHIN.
Hope your correct and I don't need the pin.

·
Registered
507 Posts
don't worry about the pin. Hurst does not need it. Just drive the car like it was met to be driven, now that you have a real shifter:)

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The other way to get at it would be to lift the car, drop the exhaust and remove the 42 bolts holding the tunnel bottom plate on.

I think I would leave it where it is.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Speed up, mash the brakes and it will be right there for your magnet

·
Registered
337 Posts
ttt

·
Registered
126 Posts
Dropping stuff

I dropped a allen wrench in the tunnel, luckily I was able to retrive it with a magnet.

Every one is right the pin at the front of the shifter is not needed for the hurst. You are talking about the pin on the extreme left of this pic right?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I know what it's like. I lost the side to side adjustment screw in the tunnel when I was adjusting the Hurst. I could not see nor retrieve the screw with magnets or mirrors.

I did remove the tunnel shield and had the car jacked to the max under the front cross member. One good bang on lower tunnel did the trick and the screw rolled out on the floor.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help. Black Magic and Raven that was the pin, I didn't see it when I pulled out the stock shifter. Put everything back together and what a differance. Used a Ripper and MGW chrome knob I purchased six months before the car. Also replaced the stock headlight bulbs with Silver Stars and cut down the antenna. They should have all been simple mods. When broken in I would like to install a Vararam, FLP headers and Xpipe, then have shaner port the throttle body. Hopefully this will do it. Any idea rouphly how much rwhp this can produce.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Been there DROPPED THAT!! Fortunately it stayed in sight and was able to get it with a long screw driver and duct tape on the end! DUCT TAPE gotta love it!!

Justin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts