Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an 06 Z06 with 20,000 miles equipped with procharger supercharger, air intake, headers, wild cam, and other front end upgrades for 50k. Car has tons of upgrades on the wheels, body and interior. Ran it for 1 month until 1 day I dropped a valve going 35pmh.

The head is done for. Piston is scrap. And it cracked the cylinder wall. Total loss on the engine.

So here is the dilema:::::

1. Scrap the car as is for like 25-30k (if I can get that much)

or

2. Got a quote for a new block, new head and all the bits and pieces with labor for 20k

I need some help and recommendation!!!!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Bought an 06 Z06 with 20,000 miles equipped with procharger supercharger, air intake, headers, wild cam, and other front end upgrades for 50k. Car has tons of upgrades on the wheels, body and interior. Ran it for 1 month until 1 day I dropped a valve going 35pmh.

The head is done for. Piston is scrap. And it cracked the cylinder wall. Total loss on the engine.

or

2. Got a quote for a new block, new head and all the bits and pieces with labor for 20k

Last time I checked you could purchase a crate 427 motor from GM for about 1/2 that amount. You should be able to fix your motor for about the same including labor. Shop around...that sounds high as hell to me.

I did the exact same thing with 19,000 miles on my motor. I used most of my parts, fixed the head and bought a used block and stroker kit and came out with labor for $10,000. The original quote was $19,000.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hard choice....lets say you do get 27,000 for car as is....what will have to put with the 27,000 to get another ZO6 that would be close to what you have now (in good running order)??? Will the 20,000 buy you a complete LS7? Most of the time when you go fast, you have to pay......One more thing I WOULD also check with at least 2 more engine builders....maybe you still have some good parts?? Like I said at first....hard choice.......ME?? I would go the new engine route...
"Never too much horsepower"
Jim

·
Premium Member
2,610 Posts
I think that would be a hard sell at those prices. I was just at my tuner two days ago and 07's and o8's are coming in on trade and over the auction block from 37-43,000 with 20,000 mls lately. So at 30,000 and 10,000 in work there is no deal there for an o6. You have alot of other upgrades and can control the build, look for motor, it's a cheaper way out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine guy is going to buy a new chev block and run all new pistons. He said that because I have the supercharger/blower and an 11:1 ratio motor, it should have never been put on. So he is going to modify the new block and parts so that it is a 9.25:1 ratio and can run a blower/supercharger better and stronger.

Going back to stock is almost near impossible. 14k in crate motor, plus the parts for intake that was taken off to put the procharger on. I'm looking at more than 20k for 500hp or 20k for like 650hp.

·
Registered
451 Posts
why dont you sell the procharger kit and some of the mods thats an easy 6-7k and buy a nice ls7 for 10-12k and have a clean car still and only out of pocket 5-6k!

·
Registered
62 Posts
why dont you sell the procharger kit and some of the mods thats an easy 6-7k and buy a nice ls7 for 10-12k and have a clean car still and only out of pocket 5-6k!
I agree! Get the crate engine, throw in your cam & other bolt on's, & have an extremely fast car that will be more dependable with less maintenance. These cars with a big cam & bolt on's easily put down over 530hp. at the tires! Yes, there can never be enough horsepower, but, on the street that much is plenty.

·
Registered
207 Posts
guess i was just wondering if the engine had taken damage because of the boost and then failed at a later time. running 7+ psi can be catastophic (but im sure you know that) but just 5 - 6 psi and engine failure is a more curious issue. or is a dropped valve not something typically caused by overboosting the ls7?

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
guess i was just wondering if the engine had taken damage because of the boost and then failed at a later time. running 7+ psi can be catastophic (but im sure you know that) but just 5 - 6 psi and engine failure is a more curious issue. or is a dropped valve not something typically caused by overboosting the ls7?
Oh, I suspect that weakened valve springs could certainly be a factor if boosting the LS7 too high. Pistons (not forged) are also at risk. A cracked block is also a potential outcome of boost.

If he just bought the Z he may not have an idea of the pulley size and if he doesn't have a boost gauge, he may not know max boost either.

I'll let him chime in if he knows the specs.

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts

or

20k!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: They quote you for a V12?:-?

Do some searching around. You can get a seriously built long block for about 12k. + installation costs. Then you won't have to worry about the valves dropping and pistons flying. WHATEVER you do don't put another stock LS7 back in there running boost.

(Shhhhhhhhhhh....... GM secret... valves don't drop on the LS7 its our imagination.)

·
Registered
943 Posts
43 for an 08 with 20k miles? Seems low. But trading in and auctioning is not the way to get your money's worth I suppose.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My motor also just dropped a valve and ruined everything. Luckily I hadn't modified the car at all and it was covered under warranty. One thing I do notice is my new motor is a whole lot quieter than the old one. I complained to the dealer about my valve noise a few times before and they just told me it was normal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My motor also just dropped a valve and ruined everything. Luckily I hadn't modified the car at all and it was covered under warranty. One thing I do notice is my new motor is a whole lot quieter than the old one. I complained to the dealer about my valve noise a few times before and they just told me it was normal.
If your valvetrain was noisy before the valve drop... your motor more than likely had one or a more of your rockers which tossed their needle bearings which put stress on the exhaust valves and valve springs. Either one of your valve springs snapped or one the exhaust valves go grenading your entire motor.

In 07 Z06s you have to watch for the problem of bad rocker arms.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts