Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Europe diving into the DSG camp (Audi, BMW, etc.) to get efficient manuals with added luxury such as paddle shifting, why can't GM get the message. Yes, I know, GM has invested a ton of money (they do that once every 20 years or so) into the 6L80 transmission for primary application in their luxomobiles. Yet, at the arrival of the 6L80 we find that it is not up to the torque of the LS7.
Now my Z06 is a daily driver and I have to drive in the largest parking lot in the world, the LA basin. Rowing a 6 speed in extremely heavy traffic for hours simply is masochistic.
The dual-clutch manual is the right answer for performance enthusiasts that can't afford a Z06 to simply adorn the garage and for week-end car shows . Corvette owners are much more likely to DRIVE their vehicles than the owners of the super-expensive, European sports cars.
GM has made strong progress in making our engines reasonably efficient (thanks GM for letting the programmers wring out the last mpg). Fitting an Audi DSG with GM programming expertise is long overdue for the Z06.
Sincerely,
Dr. Lew
An engineer for 45 years

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm right there with ya! This is the technology of the future, and it'd be amazing to see GM take a leg up in the domestic market. After all DaimlerChrysler is using MB technology to it's advantage!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Im sorry but you cannot have a top of the line performance car with an automatic... it's just against the rules!!! I don't per se know what this DSG is, but I think you mean a sequnetial "clutchless" gearbox, essentially the same thing as a manual but electronically controlled, as is used in BMWs, Ferraris, etc. I'd like to see that in a Vette. I can't see myself getting one, but Chevys have lately carried the reputation of being behind the pack in a manner of speaking, insofar as technology is concerned. It'd be a nice change of pace for them. However, from what I've heard, the echnology for a sequential manual is difficult to prefect and even ferrari had to dabble with a bunch of "clunky", "uncooperative" SMGs before the F1 gearbox currently used in cars such as the 430 could be utilized. But it seems like american automanufacturershave buried themselves in a hole they cannot escape from. After decades of government oil subsidies and the Big Three squandering money on futureless projects, GM, Ford, and Chrysler managed to get such a bad repuatation as car builders that they simply don't have the money to spend on the R&D for a project like the one you presented. At least thats how I understand it. Now, Chrysler did the right thing by merging with a foreign manufacturer. But they still are investing much of their money into trucks and luxury yachts, the two things that'll go first when another oil crisis hits. And hit it shall... It's only a matter of time.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I was a big fan of DSG dual clutch sequentials till I drove one..

It was kind of boring....(GTI) maybe it was the car? that said if GM built the corvette with the
DSG I'd buy it for its advanced technology and the performance it offered..

Old thread from 05 but still a cool read.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I think I speak for most when I say I'd rather row my own gears. As an option, maybe, but only for those who are into gadgets. A sports car should always allow the driver full control of the gearbox.

Consider the new M5; for the global market the car was developed with only a 7-speed SMG transmission, but for North America it's available with a 6-speed manual. Is the SMG quicker on a track? Surely, but I doubt driving it is anywhere near as much fun or as involving as rowing through the 6-speed. SMG just removes another element of driver skill from the equation of going fast.

SMG is basically a computer controlled manual transmission that shifts faster and more consistantly than a human can.

DSG is a new idea using conventional manual transmission technology and dual clutches; while you are in 1st gear (using clutch No.1) the transmission already has 2nd gear engaged.

This is possible only because 2nd gear is driven by a separate input shaft (one input shaft for 1st, 3rd and 5th, another for 2nd, 4th and 6th). While clutch No.1 is engaged on input shaft No.1, clutch No.2 is not engaged on input shaft No.2, allowing the pre-selection of 2nd gear while still driving in 1st gear.

When the time comes to switch to 2nd gear, clutch No.1 disengages as clutch No.2 engages, and you're now in 2nd gear. If the computer detects that you're accelerating in 2nd and will need 3rd, it pre-selects 3rd gear before you're done with 2nd. When the time comes, clutch No.2 disengages as clutch No.1 engages and you're now in 3rd.

Reverse all the above for downshifting.

The problem with all this gizmology is that you, the driver, control none of it. To you, it's just another flavor of automatic transmission.

VW/Audi have already announced plans to replace all automatics with DSGs in the very near future as these transmissions are more efficient than automatics and will help provide increased fuel economy. The fuel economy of a manual with the convenience of an automatic.

That's fine for the grocery getting, numb-minded public who hate driving to begin with.

Give me a clutch and some synchros.:yeadog:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Like someone said, American car companies have put themselves in a hole and I don't think they would put that kind of money in their cars. They shouldn't, because if prices went up, people would stop buying them. It's that simple. Consumers would rather pay $120k (sometimes more) for a 'Benz or a BMW before they would pay that much for anything American.

A friend of mine just bought a Porsche C4S (daily driver) with automatic tranny (yes, I didn't like that trasmission choice either) and I know you wouldn't find someone paying that much for an American car. For the record, that car shifts quick as he**!

Alex

·
Registered
959 Posts
ZO6 AL-X said:
For the record, that car shifts quick as he**!
Regardless of how fast that car shifts, your Z will eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner in any contest of speed or handling you can dream up and, IMO, look better doing it.:thumb:

If you COULD spend that much money on an American car you'd likely get more car for your money.

If you're able to get your hands on an '06Z it'll hang with the new "UberTurbo" for less than half the price. :cheers:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Porsche is moving towards PDK which is its version of dual clutch sequential shift technology.

Its just a better, faster way to shift.

I thought it lacked involvement in the little GTI I test drove. ...

Still if it was offered in a corvette, I'd buy that option. Its just a faster way to fly....

As a driver you still control the gear choices ....your left foot is just not involved..

I'd go for it because it really is a faster shift technology and even though it might be less involving...it would be the faster way to go..

I percieve DSG technology in much the same way I view ABS or competition mode active handling...

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Bob,

GM's offering in the C6 is an excellent torque convertor six speed automatic.

its excellent in many ways but not quite as good as the dual clutch sequential shift technology.

Of course the corvette makes so much hp it can compensate for the 5% increase in torque convertor power loss compared to the more traditional manual and/or DSG transmission.

HTH

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Blue Angel said:
Regardless of how fast that car shifts, your Z will eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner in any contest of speed or handling you can dream up and, IMO, look better doing it.:thumb:

If you COULD spend that much money on an American car you'd likely get more car for your money.

If you're able to get your hands on an '06Z it'll hang with the new "UberTurbo" for less than half the price. :cheers:
I agree that my car can give it a run for its money. I'm just a big Porsche fan. It's a darn nice car. I can't stand next to it or sit in it and not feel like a kid in a toy store.
JBsZ06 said:
"...
Its just a better, faster way to shift.

As a driver you still control the gear choices ....your left foot is just not involved..

I'd go for it because it really is a faster shift technology and even though it might be less involving...it would be the faster way to go..

I percieve DSG technology in much the same way I view ABS or competition mode active handling...
I agree completely.

·
Registered
959 Posts
ZO6 AL-X said:
I agree that my car can give it a run for its money. I'm just a big Porsche fan. It's a darn nice car. I can't stand next to it or sit in it and not feel like a kid in a toy store.
I love Porsche also, ever since I was a little kid. The 959 had me captivated for some time, and I had a huge poster of a silver one on my wall for years.

Now that I'm 30 years old and a functioning part of the "real" world, I appreciate value much more than I used to... let's face it, kids dream, and when you're 10 years old you picture yourself driving the coolest car imagineable and money's no object.

I still look at Porsches when they drive by. They are fantastic looking cars, and fairly rare in my neck of the woods.

I was captivated by the C5 at the 1996 Toronto Auto Show, and to this day I still have, hanging on the wall in my bedroom, the poster I got at that show of the red C5 Coupe blasting through the desert at sundown.

I'm also a geek, and a speed junkie. An automotive techno-geek speed junkie on a budget chooses a Z06. It can't be beat for anywhere near the price.:cheers:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Just think if the DSG computers were working the dual clutchs and there was no pedal for us to stomp on...

There'd be no clutch pedal sticking to the floor nonsense! :lol:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Blue Angel said:
I love Porsche also, ever since I was a little kid. The 959 had me captivated for some time, and I had a huge poster of a silver one on my wall for years.

Now that I'm 30 years old and a functioning part of the "real" world, I appreciate value much more than I used to... let's face it, kids dream, and when you're 10 years old you picture yourself driving the coolest car imagineable and money's no object.

I still look at Porsches when they drive by. They are fantastic looking cars, and fairly rare in my neck of the woods.

I was captivated by the C5 at the 1996 Toronto Auto Show, and to this day I still have, hanging on the wall in my bedroom, the poster I got at that show of the red C5 Coupe blasting through the desert at sundown.

I'm also a geek, and a speed junkie. An automotive techno-geek speed junkie on a budget chooses a Z06. It can't be beat for anywhere near the price.:cheers:
I hear ya, man. I also love the 959. And, yes, the Z is a great car - no denying that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts