Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm at my buddies, it's a beautiful day out and I'm telling him I wish my Vette was off the jackstands so I could take a drive.

He knows the situation with my CV boot, so he says "why don't you just patch it up with a Ziploc bag, duct tape, and a brown paper bag". I say, "do you think that would really work?". He says, "what's the worst that could happen the joint fail, you've got a new one coming on Tuesday". That was all it took, I decided to get to work.

Duct tape...馃憤
Ziploc bag...馃憤
Brown paper bag...馃憤
14-year-old PITA...馃憤

I cut a small hole in the bottom of the bag, cut the zipper off the top of the bag and slid it over the CV casing.

I taped the fat part and the small part of the shaft to begin with. This way the joint still have the flexibility to reassemble into the hub. Once we were able to put the joint back into the hub I used a bit more duct tape to reinforce the plastic bag.

That's it, all done. A makeshift CV boot with household items. I'm ready to go for a drive.

Here's my son, I had to pull rank just to get him off the video games and into the garage.

My wife and I went for a drive yesterday and the makeshift joint held up perfectly.

Premium Member
If it don't move and it's supposed to....WD-40!

If it moves and it ain't supposed to....Duct tape!

Good job Deperr! Necessity is the mother of invention :lol:

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Good job Deperr! Necessity is the mother of invention :lol:
Youknow how it is when you can't drive your Z. You'll do anything to get her fixed up. I get my new rebuilt haft shaft today, so the duct tape will be coming off. Although, it would be fun as an experiment to see how long it would hold. :screwy:

What do you think? :lol:

I'd give it 2 - 3 weeks judging by the amount of duct tape on there.
Anybody want to start a pool?? :lol:

Registered
Nicely done, sir! Ya'll may not realize this, but Dperreault is also an excellent babysitter. :D

pshhhhahahahaa:lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts