Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Food for thought: many posts about 15% parasitic drivetrain loss, but me thinks different. Had my 96 Mustang GT dyno'd at GRC Performance in Mission Viejo, CA. about 2yrs. ago. They said they typically see 45 to 55 hp loss on a stick car irrespective of fwhp. In other words, if 15% was correct then a 1,000fwhp would reduce to 850rwhp. Why, if the related components were of comparable quality, weight etc., would a 500fwhp car only lose 75hp?

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
amerkin said:
Food for thought: many posts about 15% parasitic drivetrain loss, but me thinks different. Had my 96 Mustang GT dyno'd at GRC Performance in Mission Viejo, CA. about 2yrs. ago. They said they typically see 45 to 55 hp loss on a stick car irrespective of fwhp. In other words, if 15% was correct then a 1,000fwhp would reduce to 850rwhp. Why, if the related components were of comparable quality, weight etc., would a 500fwhp car only lose 75hp?
AMEN!! Finally, I see somewhere that someone agrees with something I've been saying for YEARS since these Dynojets became popular.

I've debated this here on this forum several times as well.

Do any of you thermodynamic experts know how much HEAT would be created if you actually lost say 100hp through the drivetrain? I'd say there would potentially be some melted parts!

My Mustang puts out 615rwhp. I'd say the flywheel HP is ~675+ or so. The same drivetrain on my buddy's 300rwhp Mustang (he beefed his up to the specs I have on my car in anticipation of making a lot more power) does not cost him only 1/2 the power that mine does. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts