Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It wasn't a very good dyno day today for the TRIC or the Titan, but several things were learned in our dyno session.

The T-1 Rules the dyno. 369.1 RWHP/ 357.4 RWT. Corrected HP. Correction factor 1.00

The TRIC came in second at 361.6 RWHP/355.1 RWT* with the 2001 screened MAF same Z1000 Race Filter. (More on this) Correction factor .99

The Titan is dead on arrival. Poor performance similar to other intakes without some laminar airflow screen. A real loser on the dyno. Off by 10 HP.

Stock was 352.2 RWHP/337.7 RWT.

*The AutoTap program showed 10% more fuel being added to the fuel trims with the TRIC, due to additional airflow. The dyno numbers may have improved, if we had time to do a 20 mile drive to reset the LT Fuel Trims.

Once we hit the freeway, the TRIC screamed! The difference in power is quite noticible at speed once the Long Term Fuel trims settle in.

ABSOLUTELY NO SURGING WITH THE 2001 MAF This is the ticket for those wanting to run the TRIC. We saw 1 HP difference on the dyno with or without the screen on the TRIC, but the sensor prefers the accuracy of the laminar screen. Driveability is perfectly smooth, and seamless. Power is stronger than the T-1 on the highway due to the colder ram air. We see a 20 to 25 degree difference between air temps with the TRIC, even over the T-1. The T-1 for everyday drivers and max HP on the dyno. The TRIC for the Track and now for the street.

Besides, the 88mm MAF flows around 1200 cfm, which is double the Z06's cfm requirement. The screen in or out makes little difference on this very large MAF.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Good info Jim!
*The AutoTap program showed 10% more fuel being added to the fuel trims with the TRIC, due to additional airflow. The dyno numbers may have improved, if we had time to do a 20 mile drive to reset the LT Fuel Trims.
If I understand what Team-ZR1 said in the chat on Wednesday:

The additional airflow is causing the car to run lean during part throttle operation. Then, when you hit WOT (and the O2 sensors are not used), the computer will richen the mixture by however much the LTFT's were previously reading lean.

From what I understand, this can be tweaked with a MAFT.

Does this sound right?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BrianK said:
Good info Jim!
If I understand what Team-ZR1 said in the chat on Wednesday:

The additional airflow is causing the car to run lean during part throttle operation. Then, when you hit WOT (and the O2 sensors are not used), the computer will richen the mixture by however much the LTFT's were previously reading lean.

From what I understand, this can be tweaked with a MAFT.

Does this sound right?
It simply means that I needed to allow relearn time for the LTFs to settle in before dynoing the TRIC. The computer "saw" more airflow due to the honeycomb screen in place (2001 style). This was not an anomoly, but rather expected, but time would not allow new learn time for the TRIC, so it was actually running way lean on the dyno, which was illustrated by sever knock retard once the water temp went up.

None of these cars need the MAFT. The stock computer works fine, but the 30# injectors seemed to help stock as much as the
T-1. The injectors were worth only 2+ HP on both, but the headroom for new air is to 500 HP rather than maxed out from the beginning as are the stock injectors on the 2002.

Next we'll dyno our ported throttle body.

Jim

·
Registered
420 Posts
We'll probably be confirming this dyno soon. We're doing another dyno day on Dec. 8th. I'm loaning my T-1 Sidewinder out to a guy with a stock '02. He pulled 353 corrected last weekend...almost exactly what yours did Jim.

I'm sure we'll see at least as much gain as you got. I definately think it helped me over my Vortex. I can't see all of my power increase coming from the headers and pulley.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Mr. Jim,

Thanks for the hard work and data..............

If I read this correctly.......for either the '01 OR the '02, THE street intake most desirable for both is the T-1
Sidewinder.........true, false??????

looks like a rough 16-17 HP gain, over your stock pull...........

So, as a final word, the T-1 Sidewinder IS the Animal to beat......for GP use, and less chance of hydrolock.........v.s. the TRIC.............

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Mr. Jim,

ZO6LS6 said:
Thanks for the hard work and data..............

If I read this correctly.......for either the '01 OR the '02, THE street intake most desirable for both is the T-1
Sidewinder.........true, false??????

looks like a rough 16-17 HP gain, over your stock pull...........

So, as a final word, the T-1 Sidewinder IS the Animal to beat......for GP use, and less chance of hydrolock.........v.s. the TRIC.............
No chance of hydro lock at all. In fact, the top of the filter sits higher than stock for even deeper water runs.

The TRIC seems to have more power on the street. There is a massive amount of torque with the TRIC and I think another run to the dyno would prove it. Also, our AutoTap testing log shows a definate 20 degree delta at the IAT between the TRIC and the T-1, until the T-1 Z06 has been moving for about 35 seconds. Time to ambient is very important when your racing. That 20 degrees is equal to 8 more HP for the TRIC on the road. The T-1 will catch up, since it also gets cool air from the air-ducting, but not in the 1/4 mile run.

In looking at the actual numbers, the TRIC holds on to to the HP all the way to redline, whereas the T-1 falls off after 6000 RPM slightly. The T-1 still makes more peak HP, at least on this dyno pull.

I'll be leaving the TRIC onboard with the Z1000 filter, since it is about to rain out here. I like living dangerously. No actually, the car runs so smoothly now, that the issue of surging (which I started) is gone for good. The MAF screen is necessary for use with the TRIC. We had never had a complaint from the 600 Z06 customers that purchased the TRIC last year, so I new this had to be the difference.

Sean McKesson? This is your answer. The 2001 MAF is very inexpensive. Less than $100.

Back to the dyno next week with the TRIC and our CNC ported TB.

Never know? The 370 mark is very elusive, but we will make it with minor intake mods yet.

Jim

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Jim

A good rosterfarian & regular around here, told me once, " Dynos don't lie",
if the T-1 made 7 HP peak more than thr TRIC, and 3 more RWTQ ft #'s.........then, I cannot see where the TRIC will make more power......on the street, or track.

Me thinks the T-1 with the race filter is THE top dog to beat now.........;)

·
Registered
384 Posts
TRIC vs T1

I am sure that the dyno will not show up all of the gains made possible by the TRIC as its true benefits show up as speed increases and air is directed into it.

My 2 pennies

1 - 9 of 9 Posts