Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Z06 with 2100 miles on it dyno'ed at 343.5 rwhp and 344.9 ft/lbs of toruqe today.

I was very interested in this dyno to see what the Vortex did to the LS6 engine since it breathes so much better than the LS1. Compared to Z06 Junkie's car which is bone stock, it was only 3 hp better. This may be a bit misleading, as his car has over 3000 more miles on it than mine does and the higher mileage cars were dyno'ing better than low mileage cars today. CP was able to get 350 hp from his Z06 with the Vortex and over 8000 miles.

Two conclusions. First, the Vortex does not add as much power to the LS6 as it does to the pre-2001 LS1's. It added over 20 rwhp to my 2000 FRC which I also dyno'ed with about 2000 miles on it. Second it's obvious to me that the higher mileage cars really do generate more power as can be seen by what CP's car pulled today vs. mine and Z06 Junkie's.

If I hadn't already had the Vortex sitting in my garage I probably would not install one on the LS6. The price does not justify, in my mind, the small hp gains that it delivers.

Of course, your mileage may vary./phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
0 Posts
David,

You have to consider that when the car is moving, more air moves through the Vortex, sort of a ram air effect as the air is directed from the front spoiler towards the Vortex. Just sitting still on a dyno isn't doing much.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On 2001-03-17 20:15, fcalmes wrote:
David,

You have to consider that when the car is moving, more air moves through the Vortex, sort of a ram air effect as the air is directed from the front spoiler towards the Vortex. Just sitting still on a dyno isn't doing much.
Frank, that may be true, but all three cars that I compared were sitting still and the Vortex did not add that much power. Only 3 over Z06 Junkie's and CP's was only 10 over Z06 Junkie's. This is not much bang for the buck.

Don't get me wrong, on my LS1 equipped FRC, there was a noticeable and measureable difference, over 20 rwhp. I just don't think it adds much to the LS6, maybe 10 at best. That's half the gain for the same money.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
With the larger MAF and intake for all the '01 cars there is only so much an after market filter is going to add.
Put an '01 MAF and intake on a 97-00 and you will see a hp gain.
I had my Z06 on the dyno and tried 5 different combonations from stock all the way to an aftermarket air box and K&N with no real big increase in hp.
Now if you do a dyno pull with a fan blowing right into the Vortex like Breathless does after they install one you will see those big gains.
Trick of the trade./phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
837 Posts
I've dynoed mine three time.

Twice bone stock on two different dynos. First time (with about 1300 miles) was in August at Carlisle on a very hot and muggy day. Second time (with about 3000 miles) was on a cool October day with moderate humidity. Dyno results at SAE were nearly identical (within one rwhp and one rwtq) to the August numbers.

After the Haltech Tric/Cobra install, I dynoed again in Early March (about 6600 miles) on the same Dynojet I'd used in October. The net SAE increase of the Halltech was +10 rwhp and +15 rwtq.

Ranger

·
Registered
837 Posts
FRC Tom,

All three times, the operator had a fan blowing on the front of the car. In my second and third dyno sessions, a circular fan was situated about 10-12 feet in front and two feet above the front bumper. It moved some air but not alot. My guess is the fan put 7-10 mph against the front on the car.

Ranger

Only mod: Halltech Tric with CF Cobra
Current dyno results (SAE) 345hp 349tq

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
That's my point Ranger,
Stock the filter is beyond the reach of the fan but with the Halltech Tric installed the filter is getting cold air.
The faster you go the more hp will be realized.
Put a stronger fan or blower at the front and see what your hp is.

·
Registered
58 Posts
SS,

comparing to other z06s is flawed if your comparing mods. you can only compare cars that way. not all zs make the same power. seen anywhere from 325 to 350 stock with most around 335 - 345.

i did two controlled tests on mine. one test for just the vortex and one a few months later for the addition of the power duct. each test consisted of two baseline pulls and then followed by two more with the mod, - mods installed while the car was on the dyno. correction factors were the same for all pulls except one on the second test (power duct)which i threw out.

results were: 13.x rwhp and 8 rwtq for the vortex
and:

4 rwhp and 4 rwtq for the duct

my total was 355.5 rwhp and 352 rwtq

bob

·
Registered
837 Posts
RFC,

Are your numbers SAE corrected?

If you've run the car at the track, what was your trap speed?

It seems that Texas-based bone-stock or lightly moded Z06s make 10-20 rwhp and rwtq more than Maryland based Z06s. Not a dig. Just interesting. My October dyno was done on a local dyno day. Two other bone-stock Z06s made about 325 rwhp and rwtq. Every dyno of equivalent cars from Texas have been 340-345. Perhaps the plant sends the strong cars down to you all. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Ranger

·
Registered
58 Posts

On 2001-03-18 18:45, Ranger spewed forth this drivel:
RFC,

Are your numbers SAE corrected?

If you've run the car at the track, what was your trap speed?

It seems that Texas-based bone-stock or lightly moded Z06s make 10-20 rwhp and rwtq more than Maryland based Z06s. Not a dig. Just interesting. My October dyno was done on a local dyno day. Two other bone-stock Z06s made about 325 rwhp and rwtq. Every dyno of equivalent cars from Texas have been 340-345. Perhaps the plant sends the strong cars down to you all. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Ranger

yah, .99 that day.you gotta watch out fo the CFs. my belief is that at low cfs, say .96 your corrected numbers are lower than if you immeditely heated up the room and had 1.0. in other words i think the correction factor over corrects.

no trap speed yet. was rained out my only chance.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys can take this comparison for what it's worth. It may be flawed and it may not. who knows?

But, as I said, the bottom line to me is that the Vortex only makes about half the extra power on the LS6 as it does on a pre 2001 LS1. I suspect it's usefulness is also about half on 2001+ LS1's as they also breathe better.

·
Registered
89 Posts
12rwhp and 18rwtrq from the Halltech package: 355/352 SAE with a 0.96 CF on a dynojet 248c. Awaiting DRM top-end package for battling 996TT and snakes! These numbers were with about 3,000 mi. At 6,800 mi. the car feels a bit looser, but I do not have a new dyno.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Was that just the Tric or the entire package, I could of swore I saw a post were somebody dynoed 20+ with the Halltech entire package on the Z06.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts