Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'02 Z w/ 665 miles on it at time of test. Realize that 490 miles of this was on the highway home from the dealer, where I alternated b/w 5th/6th gears and varied my speeds accordingly.

I've had the thing over 6000rpm maybe 5-6 times total. Never had it to 6500.

Made 3 pulls, each got better... 349.8rwhp/343.5rwtq.

What's amazing to me is just how sophisticated the computer in this car is. You could literally "see" how it was "learning" after a pull. The first two pulls it was obviously writing over/modifying the stock WOT tables past a certain rpm. Both curves were just a tad bit jagged...first one was worst, 2nd got better, 3rd looked really nice.

I need to go out and drive the car hard now. I think if I were to leave it stock that within another 2k-3k miles it'd be ~355rwhp or so.

I'm going to put the Vortex Rammer box and Power Duct on it within a week, put another 200+ miles on it and then dyno it again. Hoping that will put me b/w 360-365rwhp.

Then possibly headers, and definitely a small shot of nitrous. :D

·
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FYI...

I got motivated to install my first mod tonight. It's time to do this now that I've got a baseline dyno.

So on went the Breathless Performance Vortex Rammer intake and Power Duct inlet tube.

I'm gonna put another 100-150 miles on it and probably hit the dyno again after that.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
On the table

Sir Wes, you left 5/6 rwhp off the table................

If you had really ran your rig, you would have exceeded 350 easily.........

This is one of the reasons my '01 put down the 347..........

I slapped 850 on it, and then I drove ot RAPIDLY, smoothly, and OFTEN,,,,,,,to the redline, in ALL gears......the computer was up to snuff, and there wasn't 5 rwhp from 1st pull to 3rd........3rd was best..............

If it were me, i would do some more dead stock learning, and re-dyno......
I think you would have a better baseline to sart modding from...........but, you da' man!!!!!!!!;)

·
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jayzvette said:
sweet sounds like you got the hp bug!!!!!
LOL..."hp bug", you say? Yeah, I have _never_ left one of my vehicles stock. Some have been more extensively modded than others.

I'm a hot-rodder. :) I attend HRA (Hot-Rodders Anonymous), but that only fuels the fire.

Terry...

Yes, I know there is power left there. It doesn't bother me or concern me. Miles and driving style will push it back up some.

I am confident that an intake/headers/MAFT will put it in the mid 370s. Not sure what I'm going to do about the nitrous and the _stupid_ "abuse management" programming on the '02s, though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice numbers… Especially for only having 665 miles on the odometer! :D

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think you nstill have about 10 horse there. I truned in a 360 with the same mileage on a Dynojet, no mods.

·
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
02ZO6 said:
I think you nstill have about 10 horse there. I truned in a 360 with the same mileage on a Dynojet, no mods.
I've been around Dynojets for awhile now. There are several variables here at work, IMHO.

1) 490 of the 665 miles were easy break-in...maybe too easy. Highway miles home from the dealership w/ my son in the car...IOW, no WOT pulls. I changed gears and speeds often, but before the pulls I had never even had it to redline yet.

2) Variations b/w dyno facilities and the day the pulls are done on CAN make a small difference...even when using the proper correction factor. 5HP on a 350+rwhp vehicle is only ~1.5% variation. You can see this dynoing on two different days. 10hp is more substantial, of course.

3) Certainly not all of these engines will make the same power. It's quite possible mine is a tad weaker. Won't know b/c it won't be stock long enough to really find out.

The car already has an air intake/duct on it, will get headers and nitrous shortly. :)

FWIW, 360rwhp is on the high side for a new stock '02. You got a good one. :D

·
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: WA 2 FAST

MOUNTAINWOLF said:
How does the car feel after installing the Vortex? Can you feel a big difference ?
It's definitely quicker, but I'm also just getting used to the car...its so new and I don't drive it every single day.

I will certainly report back once I get on the dyno.

You can just look at the design of it and tell it will get more air into the engine (the box part, that is...the improvement with the duct would be more subtle). I changed my oil this AM, so I got to look at the install from the bottom side, and its truly a ram-air setup now. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts