Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about this guys!! I know it's not a Z06 related issue, but I just wanted to share!!

Some of you may know I just recently purchased a 95 Blk/Red ZR1 (1 of 6)!! I've hunted and waited a long time to get my hands on one of these cars!! This car now sits next to my 01 Blk/Red Z06!! The best of both worlds!!!

When I first drove this car, the car felt really strong!! Aaron Scott (owner South Ga. Corvette) and his wife came up to have dinner and he took the car to his shop for me, to do a little clean-up work on it! Well when he got home he called and told me the same thing, this car runs stong!! So friday we finnally got it on the dyno, this is what we got!!

95 ZR1 Stock w/ K&N filter, 9400 mls, 85 degrees, 90% humidity
1st pull...361.6 rwhp & 350.5 rwtq (corrected)
2nd pull...358.9 rwhp & 348.7 rwtq (corrected)

Needless to say, I was shocked!! I'd personally never seen or heard of a stock ZR1 pulling these kind of numbers!! With 16% driveloss that comes out to be 430 at the crank!!! Don't worry I had an "EXPERT" try to burst my bubble, but other ZR1 owners that I know were as shocked as I was!! Now when I'm done with this car, hopefully we'll have another 200+ rw.....naturally aspirated!!!

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my happiness with you guys! BTW, 99 GTS Silver/Blk...........GONE,GONE,GONE,GONE.....YEAH!!!

Ya know, looking back, this has been a great week!!!!

Mike P
01 Z06 Blk/Red #4155 SGC 500
95 ZR1 Blk/Red #38 SGC ???
91 ZR1 Blk/Blk #818 SGC 368 (for sale)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IMA.....Thanks and you're absolutly correct!!

Sanford....I've had alot of people ask me this question! This is the best way I've been able to descibe the two cars!!!

Honestly, both cars do the same things really well, but in very different ways!! The ZR1 is a heavy brute, where the Z06 is like an agile cat!! In handling, I'd give the edge to the Z06, simply cause of it lighter wieght and 10 yrs of new technology!! Most Z06s' are quicker, but don't take that for granted!! There's alot of stock ZR1s' that are just as quick!! Top speed, ZR1 hands down! The ZR1 is a much more stable at the 150+ speeds, that's because of a little more down force with that little lip on the rear deck!! The ride quality in both cars is superb, this 95 rides as good as the Z06!! LT5 v LS6......The LT5 has already put itself in the history books and I believe the LS6 will do the same! The LS6 is in my opinion, the best pushrod motor ever built!!! The LT5 was just simply a motor before its time, a true technological marvel, the best way I've heard it desribed is thet it's like a Rolex watch!!

I mean, I know that they are both Corvettes', but that's about the only thing they have in common!! They're are two totally different cars and that's what you have to accept!! I don't think I'll ever say one's better than the other, just different!!! It's like I said, for me it's the best of both worlds, old and new!! I love both of them equally, that's just me though!! Technology will continue to move forward and I hope it does, then I'm sure we'll be sitting around with the debate of C4 Supercar vs. C5 Supercar vs. C6 Supercar, etc!!!

Anyway, I hope this helps, if I can answer anymore questions, I'll be happy too!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Frank!!!!!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Congrats Mike! The ZR1 is an awesome ride..

I would *really* like to see a dyno sheet on a ZR1. I've searched the web, I've asked, and nobody ever seems to post them. I just see peak numbers. Care to share yours?? If you can't scan, I can scan a fax for you.

Is it okay to put a ZR1 in the Performance Data Center?? I realize we're focusing on the Z06, but the ZR1 is such a benchmark of Corvette performance and history..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys!! Yeah I plan to let it sit for a while, while it's under it's heart transplant, 415ci!! Hopefully be the end of next summer!! I told my wife I'd like to own all 6, I know where 5 of the 6 (including mine) are located!!

Brian, no problem sharing the dyno sheet with you!! I'll send you two, if I can figure out how to work this damn thing!! I'll send you one of the 95 and one of the 91 368!! BTW....I sold my 35TH ANN to a guy in Seattle!!!

Hope this works!?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Mike,
Congrats on selling the Viper--good riddance right?:lol:
Now, who was it that tried to burst your bubble on the HP #'s?
I'll be talking to you soon...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GTB............HELL YEAH!!! I'm glad that thing is gone!!

I'll let you know who it was later!!

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
comparison

Thank you Mike,

You did a great job of describing the two cars. If I had room in my garage I would have a ZR1 also. I like the 1993 one as it is the 40th anna model and first year with the 405 HP engine. I love the looks of the LT5. I enjoy the seating in the 1993 model with all the seat adjustments. I am not complaining about the ZO6 seats , because they are very comfortable. I owned a 1993 LS1 triple black coupe and loved the performance. It had to go as I used the money from it as the down payment on the new 2002 Electron Blue ZO6.

Thanks again for answering my question.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sanford.......If you go over to H&H Corvettes' web site and look in the ZR1 section, you'll see a beautiful 40TH along with a couple of shots of my 91!! JC was nice enough to post a couple of pictures for me!! The 40th is one of my all-time favorites also!!!

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Impressive

checked out the H&H Corvette site and saw the 40 th ZR1 and your beautiful 1991 Black powerful LT5 car. Both are about the same price. If I was a collector and would have to be single I would buy the Ruby red one. For pure driving pleasure I would take your old beautiful one. Nice to note that you had one and got a newer one to match your ZO6 new one. Married with one wife and only one Corvette. No complaints it is nice to have one with the other.:cheers: :cheers: :) :) :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts