Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to 7s Only Raceshop at Buttonwillow Raceway Park. Did four pulls. Best was 360.7 hp @6030rpm and 356.8 tq. @4800rpm SAE corrected .98 with the following conditions: ABP 29.80in.Hg. VP .22in.Hg. Intake air temp. 73.0F coolant 192 to 198 with the hood open and a rather old " barreldrum " type fan directly in front of the car, and with the TC/AH off. Interestingly, we started with it on and the car would not respond to throttle input because the TC was in full operation. I wanted to try it that way because of past experience with my Mustang actually slipping on another dyno. Not sure how the TC actually works but I assume it was detecting no movement of the front wheels. As soon as we disabled TC/AH the throttle responded. Also. first pull was in 3rd without my knowledge and the results were rediculous. 221.6hp @5250rpm! I knew something was wrong. The owner of 7s Only said his RX7 racecars dyno the same in 3rd or 4th so they chose 3rd for the safety of less speed. Maybe something to do with only around 100rwhp? ANYWAY, once we were in 4th the numbers shot up. The next three pulls were 359.8, 360.7, then we let the car cool down to 154temp, started last pull at 165 and ended at 185, result 356.7hp 351.6tq. A/F @max hp was 360.7=11.7, 359.8=11.2, and I don't have the A/F for 356.7, for now. My guess is not much difference, maybe this engine likes 190+ temps. What do you think?

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Those are some real sweet numbers, now don't tell me your car is bone stock too. :cheers:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rippied: Engine is bone stock including the air filter it came with. I do have 10w30 Mobile 1. The only mod's are Motul 600 brake fluid and Redline syn. trans. oil. Nada mas. I was running approx. 95 octane.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Great #'s

amerkin,
really good, man that extra 4 octane will really help, wish WE had some around here to try:D
Just for grins, I wonder what the diff would be with the standard pump 91 you guy's have there.......did you mix you're own??.....or a specialty fuel station??.:-?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
amerkin,
didn't know that high an octane was available readily in Ca..............
Learn something new every day.........

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
That's definitely higher than mine did with 660 miles on it! I am planning to go back to the dyno today with the Vortex Rammer air intake on and I doubt I'll see near 360rwhp.

Your A/F ratios are a bit leaner than mine, too. On the top end mine wanted to fall below 11.0:1. WA 2 rich from my experience with tuning. Safe, but excessively rich for making max power.

I keep hearing guys picking up some good power gains with just some higher octane gas.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Z06LS6: I only know of one place with 100oct. in CA. and that's right here good ol' Bakersfield. Could be elsewhere, but I know it's not available on the central coast, I've tried.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WA 2 FST: My A/F went down to 11.5 from 6200 to 6500. So with a little reprogramming on the top end more hp to be made. I assume it's rich for fuel variations. Btw, I also am a believer since '79 and I've got a mod'ed Mustang(for sale).

·
3,265 Posts
Z06LS6 and other guys in N. Dallas...there are several places around where you can get unleaded fuel up to 105 octane. Very quality fuel, too, not some cruddy gas with a bunch of anti-knock stuff mixed in for good measure.

You just can't get it at the pump...gotta bring 5 gal. jugs. :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Amerkin,

Great numbers.... Many people are not convinced for some reason that the LS6 engine doesn't like the 160s temp. I'm not very technical in engine building, but I do pay attention to the car when I drive it. The acceleration is completely different when the car is in the 160s than when it's 185 and above. I had the 160 degree thermostat in my LT1 and it ran fine. The LS6 is a different story. I like my car to run around 182 and 197... JMO.

·
3,265 Posts
I'm just a bit surprised that running higher octane fuel in a N/A motor does that much good...unless its tuned on the edge to begin with.

On my supercharged '90 Mustang, going from 93 to 105 unleaded will net me another 25-30rwhp...some of that is just b/c I keep the tune very conservative on the 93.

·
Registered
286 Posts
numbers

You got into the 360 rwhp range with the Redline syn. trans. oil. My 02 made 356.7 bone stock and over 360 with the syn trans fluid, that stuff really works.

:cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts