Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In our Performance Data Center (link to the left) I have both of my dyno sheets, pulls were done 6 days of each other.
I not only dynoed after installing each mod (on a DynoJet ) so I would have the real #s as oposed to the Mfg.s or Tuners claims the car has been on a Mustang. No Ford jokes please.
:D
As you will see the Mustang is about 5% higher than the DynoJet.

http://www.z06vette.com/perfdata.php

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Nice Tom, and thanks for the data, this could be a useful tool someday when we get enough data to extrapolate from it.

There are so many variances, but hell, it's just fun to look at :)

JC

·
Registered
0 Posts
One question

OK, one is 5% higher and one is 5% lower. Now...how do we determine which one is correct?? :-? Is there a science to this?? Who knows?? I would like to know the real answer. :)

I would like to see some real data showing who's is the most accurate. Help here!! Dyno's are too subjective. I want the REAL answer.

·
Registered
0 Posts
FRC Tom said:
The real answer is at the track Frank. :D :D
THAT is want I wanted to hear!! Dyno data don't mean squat to me. If you do mods and dyno after every mod, then I think it doesn't matter which one you dyno on. You will still get a baseline and workable numbers.

You know me too well Tom!! :D

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
fcalmes said:

THAT is want I wanted to hear!! Dyno data don't mean squat to me. If you do mods and dyno after every mod, then I think it doesn't matter which one you dyno on. You will still get a baseline and workable numbers.

:D :D :guiness:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
With the recent discussion of dynos, your statement hits it right on the head as far as what a dyno should be used for.

It's hard to say which is more accurate. I tried looking at your dyno, Les' and mine that were all taken from the Breathless dyno and FRCTom's dyno and looking at the different level of mods from bone stock to intake exhaust to Toms headers plus all the other goodies... I think the numbers look good.

If Tom had dynoed at every step using the Mustang, I think he would have just an accurate assessment of his mods as he does with the dynojet... his power curve looks near identical between the two dynos.

Still working on Les and I getting together to dyno soon and may also get a third Z06 if we can plan it right. That would be an interesting comparison.

Tom, do you have the other printout frm Breathless showing numbers at every rpm level? I'd like to enter them into my excel with some other dynos.

don

fcalmes said:

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
don527 said:
With the recent discussion of dynos, your statement hits it right on the head as far as what a dyno should be used for.

It's hard to say which is more accurate. I tried looking at your dyno, Les' and mine that were all taken from the Breathless dyno and FRCTom's dyno and looking at the different level of mods from bone stock to intake exhaust to Toms headers plus all the other goodies... I think the numbers look good.

If Tom had dynoed at every step using the Mustang, I think he would have just an accurate assessment of his mods as he does with the dynojet... his power curve looks near identical between the two dynos.

Tom, do you have the other printout frm Breathless showing numbers at every rpm level? I'd like to enter them into my excel with some other dynos.

don

Don I will scan them tonight, I'm leaving for the track in 10 min.
With some luck the track will be sticky enough for a good 60 ft. time.

Z

·
0 Posts
Talked to my friend at paxton/vortech superchargers about dynos. mustang v dyno jet.
My friend bob told me that they tested both and found that every time with the dynos loaded right
for car weight that the mustang was always 8 to 15 hp lower then the dyno jet because of the load to the rear wheels on the mustang v the dyno jet . He also said that it easier to fudge the mustang then it is the dynojet. they are installing a dyno jet
so they can judge both. Soon we will know! :p

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
look forward to it. i like plugging in the values in excel and seeing some comparisons in the power curve.

let us know how track nite was.

don

FRC Tom said:

Don I will scan them tonight, I'm leaving for the track in 10 min.
With some luck the track will be sticky enough for a good 60 ft. time.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
don527 said:
look forward to it. i like plugging in the values in excel and seeing some comparisons in the power curve.

let us know how track nite was.

don

Got rained out but I did go this morning.
12.603 112.90 mph :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
http://www.howstuffworks.com/horsepower1.htm

This should give you some background but horsepower is not a constant product and depends upon a multitude of things including technique of measurement. Also, small calibration errors are always magnified in the results but the biggest difference is between power measured at a steady rpm reading and power taken in a transient mode. In this case a measure of the entire angular moment of everything rotating must be incorporated in the results and the dyno manufacturers usually make an assumption or ignore the component in your vehicle. This is a problem but people seem to want big numbers rather than accuracy. I could go on but I am a technician, not a typist. Call if you want more
Ken Augustine
Kinetic Analysis
415 479 0666 h&w

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
That web site is going to keep me entertained all night. :)

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
That "HowStuffWorks" website is sooo cool, I love it, thanks for the site reference, added it to "Favorites" will be going back often I am sure...

·
Registered
2 Posts
TAMUz06
Z06 Addict

Entertainment is fine but education is a superior benefit. The INERTIA dyno is a fine tool but analysis of the data is still important. If you have questions I can call you but as I say, I am not a typist

Ken Augustine
Kinetic Analysis
53 Mark Dr
San Rafael, Ca 94903
415 479 0666 w + fx

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Most of the well known tuners I have talked to recently consider the Dynojet to be the more accurate chassis dyno. They also say that the best measure of H/P is done with engine out of car so crank h/p can be measured. I believe that the measurement of crank h/p is subject to a set of SAE procedures, if done properly. These procedures would guarantee repeatability and leveling so comparisons could be fairly made. IMHO, the whole issue of dyno testing too often seems to end up like the ol' football locker room discussions about who is the biggest. Of course, in that environment that was easy enough to discern.

Although I agree that the best use of any chassis dyno is to measure relative gains as mods are made, I disagree that the track is the best measure of h/p and torque. Here's why. At the track you are introducing a multitude of other variables such as tire type, tire condition, suspension, track surface dynamics (which can change quickly), and of course, the biggest variable of all - the driver.

So, IMHO, the best power leveling tests would be the measurement of crank h/p and torque according to approved SAE conditions.

My $.02...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts