Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Susan and I spent the day racing on an oval race track in Lake Geneva Wi. today. It rained hard all day, the track surface was like ice due to the tire residue and oil that coates all race track surfaces. The rain was even forming deep puddles on the straights and the concrete walls all around the place looked REAL FUGGIN BIG. :eek: So how did a worn out set of F1SCs do? Well I ran in the group of the 4 fastest drivers all day. One of the other fast drivers today was this year's NCCC National point leader also in a Z06 on stock tires. One of the other drivers was on pure racing rain tires, and the other on Kumho Ecstas. We beat all the Firehawk equipped Vettes, those on BFG KDs, those on Mich. Pilots, those on Potenzas, etc. These tires will hydroplane some, but they do stick pretty good on slippery surfaces. :cool: Susan had one run where she stayed on the gas about 2 seconds too long going into turn 3. The car pushed up high right to the edge of the banking. I think her knuckles are still white. :lol:

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
And I bet yours are even whiter :)

Good info but I notice that mine hydroplane pretty easy, of course, barely any tread left :)

JC

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JC, my knuckles are ok, but the seat of my pants is still puckered. :) We drove home on I-94 at around 75 to 80 mph in the rain. Some hydroplane, but not too bad. Maybe I'm desensitized to the danger from running on that oval all day. ;)

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frank, if you had been riding with her today, that would be your quote. :eek:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Ron:

Great post! Would love to see you race sometime....does your schedule ever take you near Detroit? How aboout Gingerman, Grattan, Waterford Hills, or maybe Mid-Ohio?

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
To: rippied

I have found the F1SC's handle like intermediate R's in the wet. I personally like and use GY ZR-S for my DOT rain set up. They are much better in standing water.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I have been very disappointed by the stock tires in the rain. Things are almost as bad as shaved kumho's in my mind. Always down the front straight at VIR on the kink at the start finish my car get's scary light in the front in the rain on the stock tires (like no response at all almost).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ron, don't you know they don't run ovals in the wet!?!?!? You got 'em big ones:D

Who was running the Kumho Ecstas and how did they perform? I'm curious as that is the tire on my ride.

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gerry, the '86 vette driven by one of our hot shoes was driving on the Ecstas. He drives used C5R race tires when its dry and hasn't been beaten on them yet. He was second fastest on the Ecstas being beaten only by a C3 racecar running a real rain racing tire made by Hoosier. His Ecstas weren't exactly new either. :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts