Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the Buisness Channel this AM there was a discussion with a high level GM Executive at a recent car show. They were discussing GM's recent announcement of Quarterly financial losses and what GM is doing or going to do about it.

One of the solutions will be to get new models into the showrooms sooner; 17 new models are scheduled to be introduced this year and 22 next year including new large(er) size SUV's & Trucks.

Will this effect the C6 Z06?? I hardly think so since the Beta's are already produced and the normal schedule for new car introduction is 90% complete....ie there is not much left to tweak in order to deliver the Z06 sooner. We may see them instead in early August vs late August. That's probably the best we can hope for.

However you may be able to get the new truck/tow vehicle you'll need, scheduled for 2007, sooner.

How about bringing out the Blue Devil sooner !!!!!

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Just what everybody needs with the newer, larger gas prices...newer larger suv's and trucks.... :NoNo:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Correct, in order to do this they had to drop the Zeta line. That was scheduled for 2008 and encompassed mid-sized front engine rear wheel drive cars. This is the death nell for the redone GTO platform, Buick Villette and any thought of reintroducing the Camaro & Firebird F bodies.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Wow, that's really sad reading that article. I can't believe they are that idiotic to cancel the Zeta program and focus on larger trucks and SUV's. It's like they are killing the product that had the most future for them, and instead are focusing on a market that has had the most sales decline amid sky high fuel prices. It's unbelievable. They were just critized for having a weak car product lineup, so what do they do? Kill more new car introductions and spend more money on trucks and SUVs. Huh?? :-?

GM isn't going to make it by counting on just SUV's and trucks to keep them going. They need to be focusing on mainstream cars and hybrid technology or the likes of Toyota, Honda, and BMW will continue to eat their lunch quickly in the car market.

I was under the impression that Lutz and Wagoner knew what they were doing, but now I'm beginning to wonder. :bang:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Maybe I'll have to step up and buy an LS2 GTO this late Summer if their not going to build them for 07, too bad they won't give me a decent trade on my Blazer ZR2 because they consider it an SUV!

·
Registered
179 Posts
MSiska said:
Just what everybody needs with the newer, larger gas prices...newer larger suv's and trucks.... :NoNo:
Some times I really wonder what brainiac at GM came up with a early release of some more gas gulping SUV type stuff is the answer with faultering sales and record fuel prices. My thoughts would be (not my kinda car) the Cobalt stuff should be pushed. As this is '73 all over again, the heavy drinkers are history in the market place for a coupla years again til everyone gets used to the price of fuel.
If looking for a Hummer or suv just wait about til May, your gonna see some smokin deals. And if you own one and attempting to trade in or sell, you will not be a happy camper.
As far as the 2006 Z06 those customers could care less, just give me my car, sooner very acceptable.

·
Registered
179 Posts
tonto said:
Some times I really wonder what brainiac at GM came up with a early release of some more gas gulping SUV type stuff is the answer with faultering sales and record fuel prices. My thoughts would be (not my kinda car) the Cobalt stuff should be pushed. As this is '73 all over again, the heavy drinkers are history in the market place for a coupla years again til everyone gets used to the price of fuel.
If looking for a Hummer or suv just wait about til May, your gonna see some smokin deals. And if you own one and attempting to trade in or sell, you will not be a happy camper.
As far as the 2006 Z06 those customers could care less, just give me my car, sooner very acceptable.
However there is a flip side to this that only some one that does puchasing knows. GM must anticipate with vendors for X amount of different varitions of steel and other products and submit a anticipated need for the next production run, of which is a contract, to get a locked in price. And now the release of the new SUV stuff makes sense for some aging guy that makes that call tying to get rid of it and keep his job.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Z06ified said:
Wow, that's really sad reading that article. It's like they are killing the product that had the most future for them:bang:
To paraphrase Uma Thurman in Kill Bill Vol.2, they ain't got a future.

·
Registered
412 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Here's a spy shot of one of GM's new vehicles.

This line is suppossed to replace the Zeta platform.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
pat03z06 said:
Here's a spy shot of one of GM's new vehicles.

This line is suppossed to replace the Zeta platform.

EPA Rated at 1 in the City 2 on the Hyway :lol:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
There seems to be a surge in people trying to buy bigger SUVs now.The local Chevy dealer is begging me to sell him my 90 Suburban.Even offered me a good price outright,but I won't sell,because that truck goes too good it the sticks and hauls my snowmobile trailer to the pass.Factory RANCHO 4" lift with detroit lockers.They don't make a rig like that anymore.
I think they're trying to revert back to the old style work truck and get people out of the "drive my glamour truck to work daily"mode.Have you noticed most of your smaller trucks have gotten bigger or have disappeared from the market?If your truck gets 15 mpg then you probably won't drive it daily and Maybe,just maybe all the idiots will want to go back to driving cars.If I see another Escalade with 24" spinners I think I'll puke :puke:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts