Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been sitting around the house this week feeling pretty bad about the wreck at Daytona and the loss of "Big E". I decided to capture a few shots off the screen today during the memorial services. I thought I'd share this picture with you folks.... This shot was captured with "no editing" on my part and I think captures Dale Earnhardt as he might want to be remembered......

------------------
Thanks for the memories Dale.
Delivered 1/19/01 - Z06 Quicksilver/Black
Nickname - "Silver Bullet"
Installed - custom license plate, exhaust plate, B&M Ripper, Flameball, CAGS

·
Registered
0 Posts
Thanks Hasbro!! I never realized how much he was loved my so many people. He will be sorely missed.

------------------
Frank Calmes Quicksilver 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, B&B PRT's with Speedway Tips, Ripper Shifter with Momo Knob, Chrome Z06 Wheels

Sherylann Calmes Black 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, Chrome Z06 Wheels

[email protected]

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hasbro,
Thanks for the pic. I've been a fan of Big E for 22 years. Since I was 16. This is like losing a member of the family.

Mark

------------------
Mark's Web Site
*** Harrisburg Area Zaino Distributor ***

01 Z06 MY/BLK,Zaino,Lowered,Ripper - No time slips yet
92 RS ProStreet Camaro (454) - Best E.T to date 10.15 @ 136 mph

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
For me NASCAR racing will not be the same for sometime, if ever, I use to turn the channel if he was knocked out of the race or was not running well that week, a lot of us bleed bowtie red and this hurts, I do not even know how much yet.

------------------
Carl V. *****Authorized Zaino Distributor*****
Huntingdon Valley, PA.** 2000 Magnetic Red Convertible **
MN6,F45,QF5,AQ9,AG2,CJ2,T96,B34,AAB,UN0,U1S,JL4,UV6,T82,N37
** Corvette Club of Delaware Valley **

www.hcvind.com
E-Mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
588 Posts
Actually they say it was his left lap belt. I am sure the racers here can give better detail than me, but from the harnesses I have seen, they all interlock. If one breaks the whole harness can be loose. I hear they thought he hit his chin on the steering wheel. A friend who is a rescue worker on another board made a good point as well. There is a lot of pressure for answers right now and maybe some people are jumping to conclusions. It may be possible that a rescue worker cut the belt to get him out. IT is a terrible loss for all of us NASCAR fans!

------------------
Dan Abbene

Clubs
SSOA F99-1977
NASA
Car and Appearance

2001 Torch Red Corvette Z06
B&M Ripper Shifter
K&N
Zaino
Gorgeous cruisin' passenger (Grace)
1999 Camaro SS
2000 Chevy Silverado
2000 Nissan Xterra
1986 Honda TRX250R
1996 Honda Four Trax 300
1994 Yamaha YZ125

·
Registered
34 Posts
hcvone,

I always did the same thing. If Earnhardt got knocked out, TV off. Not always, but often. I seriously doubt that I will enjoy Nascar as much as I used to. I guess I can only hope that Jr. does well. I'll be pushing for him.

Can you imagine the pressure on that poor kid? Aside from losing your Dad, you know that 99% of his fans will be looking to Jr. to be the next "great one". Iron-head, Intimidator, what next?

------------------

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm with you guys. For 1997 and 1998 I didn't watch much NASCAR racing (was an avid fan and attended hundreds of races from 1985 thru 1996). I started getting back into it when Dale started running strong again. I didn't care if he was winning, I just wanted to see him in a competitive car.

So here's the latest news regarding the accident. Dale had 8 broken ribs on his left side, a left broken ankle, a broken sternum (again) and a fractured skull. The ribs, strenum and ankle injuries are common in racing accidents. The skull was fractured "front to back" and there was no head/spine separation. (So much for the HANS device) The confusing part was the skull fracture which indicated that a severe blow to the head was received and even the helmet didn't help. Today, the story was released that it was equipment failure that actually caused Dale's death. The left seatbelt strap (they didn't elaborate as to upper or lower but I'm going to assume upper) broke essentially releasing him from the harness support on the top and he most likely hit the upper front rollcage member or possibly the side member above the window. In any event, NASCAR has released a "warning" to the other teams for them to check their equipment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts