Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Thanks, Silver!!
I also read that and have seen and heard many explanations for his death. Basically, if you're going 175 MPH and the car stops, the head doesn't. Even with a HANS device, it is unlikely he would have lived, according to reports I have read. Seems the base of the skull becomes detached and the brain also becomes detached..bounces around.

Very sad...he is truly missed.

------------------
Frank Calmes Quicksilver 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, B&B PRT's with Speedway Tips, Ripper Shifter with Momo Knob, Chrome Z06 Wheels

Sherylann Calmes Black 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, Chrome Z06 Wheels

[email protected]

·
Registered
151 Posts
The news helps me, at least there seems to be some reason now. The wreck didn't seem much different than what you see every week at a super speedway. I've been telling my buddies all week that something must have broke on his belts...and yes...it did. Now lets find out why.

He was going 175-180 and hit the wall, but DIDN'T stop there, Frank. He slid a long long way before stopping. He didn't take the full g-force head on. A car did that once at Indy and blew up into a million pieces. Stock cars hit the wall and slide, happens all the time, then they get out and walk away.

If that friggin belt hadn't broke, Big E would've probably walked away, maybe with some sore ribs and bruises.

Friggin belt...makes me wanna cry even more...but at least we now know why an ordinary bout with the wall was anything but ordinary.

------------------
e-mail: [email protected]

Web Site - "Automobile of the Year"
http://members.aol.com/spdyz06

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The medical examiner did state that if the belt hadn't broke he would have had a 'much better chance of survival'.

They say TV doesn't do justice to the impact don't forget that the guy he went to the wall with walked away!

Irregardless, a terrible tragedy!

------------------
Brian
01 Quicksilver Z06, Vortex/Powerduct, CAGS, B&M Ripper, Lowered, Frame Savers
TPIS Long Tubes on the way!

·
Registered
457 Posts
This looks like ANOTHER big problem for NASCAR. Surely the failed seat belt was visible when they removed Dale from the car on Sunday.

It took Nascar a week to find and acknowledge a broken seat belt?

If the belts had not failed and wearing a full face helment, it appears the accident was survivable.

------------------

1 - 5 of 5 Posts