Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a RF modulator that you can plug into any MP3 player, etc. It broadcasts on four different FM frequencies. I was skeptical at first, but the thing really works. I use a Nomad Jukebox and now have over 100 albums at my fingertips. Quick easy and only $29.00. I realize that the original speakers are still in, but if I changed them, I would be tempted to get new amps then new head unit, etc.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Agreed...

...super-cool.

Where do you get it? What's it called?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went to the Radio Shack. I don't know the part, but ask for a rf adapter that broadcasts on fm to connect a mp3 player .:cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I purchased a similar unit and am very disappointed due to the lack of clear sound and static. I'm returning it and getting a auxiliary connector unit for clearer sound.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
When I installed my first-generation Alpine XM receiver, I used the Alpine FM modulator for the hook up since it talks digitally over the AI bus to the XM RX, rather than using analog cables. The sound quality was excellent. The Modulator had a nice additional feature, RCA plug auxilliary inputs. Since I buried the modulator up under the dash, while I was doing all the hookups I ran a set of stereo RCA cables under the carpet and out where the e-brake opening is. That plugs in to my Creative Zen Extra 30GB player. I also hooked a 12V accessory power extension into the back of the center console 12V power connector, and that comes out at the e-brake opening, too. The Zen plugs in right there, both power and audio and it works great. I drive to Florida (from MA) 2-3 times/year. I can switch between XM and my own library as the muse strikes me. The XM has about 2500 songs on it with room left for more.

If I had to do it again, I'd use a direct connect setup. Both BlitzSafe and Peripheral Interface Electronics (PIE) sell harnesses that will allow you to utilize the AUX button on your factor Bose head unit.

In fact, I might do it again, since the 1st-Gen Alpine has some serious limitations and I'm getting sick of them. The display is only 16 characters and while it would have been easy for Alpine to make it scroll so you can see *all* the XM data, they didn't. So sometimes it's hard to guess what the artist or song is. And when XM broadcasts sports, the scores appear in the meta-data text (on the Delphi SkiFy in my wife's truck but not on the Alpine). I also hate the big XM antenna. Newer XM RXs have a *much* smaller antenna, but those won't work with the Alpine.

An XM Commander will fit in the same place and it has a much larger display.

·
Registered
579 Posts
compusa sells a few differernt FM modulators. I bought the smaller white one that plugs into the cigarette lighter and has two slide switches on the side to select the channel. Belkin makes it maybe?!

·
Registered
219 Posts
yea, rf modulators work well. my satellite radio had one and it worked well except i couldn't find a freq that didn't pick up interference from a real radio station-- i drive about 60 miles each way for work and if i chose a clear freq at one endpoint by the time i got to the destination it was getting interference . my solution: i removed the radio antenna from the car. the radio can easily pick up the modulator that is transmitting just a foot or so away, but radio stations are now too faint to be of any trouble. :) regular radio sux around here anyway, so it was a win win situation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts