Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depends !

It does not have specific placement . Just kinda squishes inplace..

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
01ZEE06 said:
:puke:

:puke:
Granted, it is probably not as nice as the $320+ one from our forum vendor, but, it is a affordable alternative.
I bought the carpeted (interior side) foam version from Ecklers, it ain't bad at all! The foam is 2 1/2" thick, it fits in perfectly, using a compression fit and is very rigid. The black carpeting has the same texture as the factory carpeting and has CORVETTE embroidered in red. The only thing I didn't like about it, was that they did not carpet the trunk side. To fix this, I bought some black vinyl covering, cut and glued it to the foam, now it looks good in the trunk too! The carpeted partition costs $99, the vinyl and adhesive cost $7.

carzzy

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
The "only" problem with it is still the price . . . $99!!! In essence, all it is, is a large rectangular charcoal colored foam cushion, you know, like from a large shipping box with protective foam pieces inside. Such material can probably be mass produced for under a buck a piece. Now, if only I knew where to find such an oversize cushion out of a dumpster somewhere, someone has thrown out with the garbage. ;)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Time out, already!

C'mon guys, Eckler's is just a distributor for these things. They don't build them themselves. It's a low budget alternative to other options such as what Andy is offering. If you've got the bucks, go for the gusto. If not, then dig through those trash bins for large enough piece of foam, spend a few hours of trial and error cutting it to fit, and glue some carpet or vinyl on and hope it looks decent... or spend the $99 and be done with it!

Andy, have you tried to sell any of your partitions through Eckler's? They're always looking for new suppliers of innovative goodies.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Problems with selling to BIG CORPORATE !

One of the things I cant stand in life are Corporate Giants.They come in and take over with products by Cutting profit to bare minimum,This does nothing more than cheapen the product and take away the profitability from everybody.If you will Please take notice - My product hit the internet -02-06-2001 ,Soon there after -----6 months all the sudden, here comes Ecklers with a cheaper version (Hence everything said).Someone probably said, this guy is building these things and selling them for 400.00,So what happened, They saw a market and went their with their big advertising budget and unlimited resourses and contacts and built a cheaper product.I will not sell this product to any vendors who believe in this way of doing business,I also refuse to stoop to their level and copy their product and sell it cheaper,I could very easily offer their same foam partition for half the price of theirs , 2.5" Foam is cheap,and I already know what carpet cost ,embroidery ,and labor.But whats that going to benefit me at such low profit dollars. Business has to be a WIN - WIN situation ,Meaning the sellers must win along with the buyers,If not than everybody looses. Thats my 2 cents !

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have one of those partion/cushions and had the back carpeted.

Now I don't use it because of my stereo upgrade. I am selling it to someone I know locally.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
dsinned said:
The "only" problem with it is still the price . . . $99!!! In essence, all it is, is a large rectangular charcoal colored foam cushion, you know, like from a large shipping box with protective foam pieces inside. Such material can probably be mass produced for under a buck a piece. Now, if only I knew where to find such an oversize cushion out of a dumpster somewhere, someone has thrown out with the garbage. ;)
I originally thought that too! The foam is more expensive than you would think. I priced out a piece of foam and was surprised by the price.
A 2 1/2" thick, piece of charcoal covered foam, that is sized about what is needed to make a partition, is about $20.00. Add in the vinyl or carpeting and adhesive, plus your labor,( trying to fit everything correctly) and you will find, that it is better to buy it for $99 to begin with. Ecklers also sells the plain foam (fitted) for $39.

carzzy

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re: Problems with selling to BIG CORPORATE !

ANDY said:
One of the things I cant stand in life are Corporate Giants. ... My product hit the internet -02-06-2001 ,Soon there after -----6 months all the sudden Here comes Ecklers with a cheaper version (Hence everything said).Someone said Hey this guy is building these things and selling them for 400.00,So what happened, They saw a market and went their with their big advertising budget and unlimited resourses and contacts and built a cheaper product.
Gee, Andy, you're not paranoid or anything are you??? :roll:

It's not Eckler's (or Mid America, or Corvette Central, or any other distributor) who is undercutting you. It's your competition, dude. Someone else came up with a cheaper version, offered it to Eckler's, and they picked it up for their inventory.

If your product is superior, and I'm sure it is, it will stand on its own merits. Using a distributor is just a smart way to get more visibility and hence, more sales.

It's also smart to know your enemy. But in this case its NOT Eckler's.

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Template

I'm sure the manufactured ones are great but..I'm gonna try to make one myself and save some $$$. Has anyone traced out a template of one of these that would be available somewhere? (Anyone going to the Southern MD Tour have one I could trace out?) Would save me a lot of time! I found the foam at a a local fabric store, it's 2-1/2 inches thick and pretty dense, about $30.00 for a big enough piece.

Thanks

FiveOJoe

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Re: Template

FiveOJoe said:
I'm sure the manufactured ones are great but..I'm gonna try to make one myself and save some $$$. Has anyone traced out a template of one of these that would be available somewhere? (Anyone going to the Southern MD Tour have one I could trace out?) Would save me a lot of time! I found the foam at a a local fabric store, it's 2-1/2 inches thick and pretty dense, about $30.00 for a big enough piece.

Thanks

FiveOJoe
I'll be happy to trace you the outline of mine!

What I will do is grab a roll of Christmas paper and trace it on the back (uninked side).

Email me your address and I'll get it out to you this week! :)

--Jeff Nation

·
Registered
878 Posts
Re: Template

FiveOJoe said:

Thanks

FiveOJoe
FYI...
You can just order the plain foam pre-cut from Ecklers for $39.99, if you want to save some time. I don't know how it looks but was told by Ecklers it was 2" foam ready to be covered by whatever you want. I just ordered the $99 one, same foam, just covered with carpet one side with the word Corvette embroided on it and Vinyl on the other side. For the extra $60 doesn't seem worth the trouble to make one, but we'll see. If it looks like crap I'll trace it and send it back and make one myself too. Let us know how yours comes you.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Re: Re: Template

thx2.net said:

FYI...
You can just order the plain foam pre-cut from Ecklers for $39.99, if you want to save some time. I don't know how it looks but was told by Ecklers it was 2" foam ready to be covered by whatever you want. I just ordered the $99 one, same foam, just covered with carpet one side with the word Corvette embroided on it and Vinyl on the other side. For the extra $60 doesn't seem worth the trouble to make one, but we'll see. If it looks like crap I'll trace it and send it back and make one myself too. Let us know how yours comes you.
[/QUOTE

thx2.net,
My feelings exactly, and that is why I ordered the $99 one and am quite pleased with it, and I think you will be too!:cheers:

carzzy

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Big Corporate!!

Its been my understanding that ecklers and mid america both have products manufactured from ideas taken from each other and others in the industry.Its also been said many times over that ecklers seem to sell a lower grade aftermarket corvette product in general .Try ordering their seat covers for c-2,c-3,c-4 or maybe a convertible top for any of the above.It will not be what you would call O.E.M Quality by any means just like the aftermarket radio's made for them and many other products they sell for these models. I have delt with their products way before developing the Frc Partition and have always been disatisfied .I feel that if they really wanted my products ,Someone would have gotten ahold of me ,Oh well .

As far as being paranoid - Yeah right ..I have an extremely solid vendor base that stands behind everything I do .So I have no reason to be paranoid ,Hell Im on top of the world right now with what is going on out there with these ZO6's and their owners.I just cant seem to keep up with all the new ideas thrown at me .

Appreciate all the comments as usual guys .

New Current Vendors- Extreme Motorsports,Westcoast Corvettes,
M.T.I,Lingenfelter Performance Engineering,The Corvette Store,LAPD.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Whatever...

Andy, its obvious that your mind is made up about Eckler's so there is no need arguing with you. All I can say is that MY experience with them has been just the opposite! They have always bent over backwards to insure my complete satisfaction. The few times that I wasn't happy with an order, be it the quality of the merchandise, service, or whatever, they were quick to rectify the situation or give me a complete refund. I find their employee base to be full of true Corvette enthusiasts who really care about the products and service they offer. They are also extremely supportive of Corvette clubs and charities. These are kudos I don't give out lightly and that I cannot share with some of the other well known, large mail order vendors.

I only mentioned "paranoid" because of the way you responded. I take offense at blind "flames" sent out indiscriminately against any vendor I've had good luck with, be it Eckler's, Exit 28, or anyone else. And I do like shopping with the smaller, specialty shops whenever there is a product or price discriminator.

That's an interesting concept you have there... do nothing and wait for more business to come to you. That's OK if the volume level is already as much as you want, I guess. At any rate, its your business and thus your decision. Fine by me.

Good luck and thanks for the info. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Big corporate!!WHAT?

No were in any of my post did I say that their service was not up to par, along with the extreme support they offer for corvette community.It has been my experience with "Product" both bought by me and others from them that were not quality.
Maybe I should choose what I buy more carefully ,Or I should ask their staff before I purchase it about"Their" experience with it.

The whole point was Quality .And it is a complete package ,SERVICE ,KNOWLEDGE,SUPPORT,ETC. I can not agree enough.I have been in the service business for 15 yrs now and feel that it is a whole package from the time you meet to to time you leave that keeps em coming back .I guess my company has been fortunate enough to thrive , and that I dont need a big advertising budget to stay afloat . My advertising has always been my customer base , I will continue with what I stand for and always answer question when asked ,So have a happy New Year and please remember -Competition Brings Awareness and If It Was Not For That,This Thread Would Have Never Started.:cheers:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts