Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At a Corvette Rally over the weekend I listened to a 1 hour seminar on the new E Force Supercharger from Edelbrock. Apparently the first ones just went on LS 7's last November so there may not be much feedback. Anyone have one installed? If so, what's the experience? Good? Bad? I also drove the standard C6 with one installed on an LS3. Edelbrock has both a 554 HP version and a 599 HP version. The installing dealer had a 554 which I drove. Unremarkable-and that's good. Couldn't tell there was a Supercharger until the pedal went down. I couldn't hear any whine, no surging, no delay. I'm seriously thinking of one for my 07 Z. The Z06 version puts out 657 HP and 582 ft/lbs of torque. It was specially designed for the Z06 and has 12" long runner for maximum low end torque. It is claimed to seamlessly integrate with the dry sump system. It fits like the ZR1 so you don't need a new hood. The core of the system is the Eaton Gen VI 2300TVS. It's a 4 lobe design with 160 degrees of twist for max flow, minimum temperature rise and quiet operation for excellent driveability. There is an integrated bypass valve that helps eliminate parasitic loss under light throttle for improved mileage. You don't need a jack-shaft. There is a self contained oil system with 100,000 mile service interval (no drilling or plumbing required). 50 state legal emissions. Any testimonials?

·
9,755 Posts
I've heard good feedback from a few people with them installed on LS3s. Don't know anybody with one on an LS7.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been watching online for updates on the LS7 version. Seems like a nice set up to me. I'd be interested in hearing some feedback also.
Norm: Why don't you buy one and let us know what you think? I hate to always be the guinea pig. Anyway, why would I ever think I'd need or could use that much horsepower and torque? Doesn't make any rational sense. Would be fun though.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I would be afraid of the LS7 blowing up. With the compression of these motors as high as it is. The LS7 to me is not a FI application were the LS3 is more capable of FI.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
11 to 1 compression and boost is NOT a good mix. The Edelbrock system looks like a good one, but if you are considering one, forge the bottom end and get dished, forged pistons and get your SCR down to 9 to 1 or so. Then you can boost the hell out of it and make some real power safely.
I really like the idea of a flat hood, (very stealthy), but my current motor with its high SCR, (almost 12 to 1), was built for NA, so I'd have to change the domed Wiseco's for dished pistons. At the present time and with the power the car already has, I just don't see the need!

Jimbo

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,820 Posts
There website as of today says different

Now you can boost the power in your 2005-11 LS2 / LS3 [not LS7] Corvette to near ZR1 performance!
These new E-Force Supercharger Systems are exclusively tailored to boost your performance to 554 flywheel horsepower and 515 ft./lbs. of torque (with stock fuel pump) or 599 flywheel horsepower and 547 ft./lbs. of torque (includes high volume fuel pump).
The unique features on these kits are the 12" long intake runners that allow for maximum low end torque and the optional 5 year 100,000 mile supplemental warranty.
Plus, this kit fits under the stock hood with no modifications.

The Edelbrock E-Force competition supercharger is based off of our street supercharger kit #1590 / #1593, but is paired down to the essential components that a racer needs, without the extras that experienced racers prefer to customize for their own competitive advantage.
For competition racing use only.

Race only says it is not for street, meaning not meets EPA smog

I have installed this kit and the cooler is wimpy and overall does not come close to the GM design as they added PCM functions to control when and how much boost, and there is a multi staged fuel system with it's own controller where the PCM can command the fuel rail pressure to change as engine load goes up to 78 PSI
Where that E-force is doing nothing but a badly done canned tune to a PCM not designed for boost.

Their street versions

Systems #1590 and #1591 can not be installed on Z06 or ZR1 models. (Systems #1574 and #1575 are for use with 2010-11 Corvette Grand Sport models equipped with a dry sump oil system.)

I agree that the boost a pump was always a marketing joke what they are saying is you have to rip the back end out to get to the tanks to replace fuel pumps which alone is costly if this is used on a base Corvette

Competitive systems often recommend or utilize voltage amplifiers for the purpose of increasing the output of the stock fuel pump.

While these systems do work, and will work in conjunction with the E-Force superchargers as well, Edelbrock does not endorse their use, as they can significantly reduce the life of the stock fuel pump, resulting in possible engine damage.
Edelbrock strongly feels that the increased effort to install the upgraded, in-tank ZO6 fuel pump assembly, included in the #1591/#1594 kit, is the proper way to address the need for increased fuel volume.

At a Corvette Rally over the weekend I listened to a 1 hour seminar on the new E Force Supercharger from Edelbrock. Apparently the first ones just went on LS 7's last November so there may not be much feedback. Anyone have one installed? If so, what's the experience? Good? Bad? I also drove the standard C6 with one installed on an LS3. Edelbrock has both a 554 HP version and a 599 HP version. The installing dealer had a 554 which I drove. Unremarkable-and that's good. Couldn't tell there was a Supercharger until the pedal went down. I couldn't hear any whine, no surging, no delay. I'm seriously thinking of one for my 07 Z. The Z06 version puts out 657 HP and 582 ft/lbs of torque. It was specially designed for the Z06 and has 12" long runner for maximum low end torque. It is claimed to seamlessly integrate with the dry sump system. It fits like the ZR1 so you don't need a new hood. The core of the system is the Eaton Gen VI 2300TVS. It's a 4 lobe design with 160 degrees of twist for max flow, minimum temperature rise and quiet operation for excellent driveability. There is an integrated bypass valve that helps eliminate parasitic loss under light throttle for improved mileage. You don't need a jack-shaft. There is a self contained oil system with 100,000 mile service interval (no drilling or plumbing required). 50 state legal emissions. Any testimonials?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Per Edelbrock website.

EDELBROCK E-FORCE SUPERCHARGER STREET LEGAL KITS FOR 2006 & LATER Z06 CORVETTE
Is 505 hp not enough? Then take your Z06 to an incredible 657 horsepower and 582 ft/lbs. of torque with an E-Force Supercharger system. This system is specially designed for the Z06 and features 12" long runners for maximum low end torque, seamless integration with the dry sump system and fits under the stock hood! The manifold for this system was exclusively designed for the LS7 platform, unlike others on the market that utilize modified LS2/LS3 manifolds. This system is available with an optional powertrain warranty, 3 years or 36,000 mile for 2006 models and 5 years or 100,000 miles for 2007-11 models.

Warranty and all. 5yr 100k miles full powertrain up to $19000 liability limit $1150 extra. Not bad. Can't have over 50k miles when install is done for warranty. $10000 and you get 657hp Z06 with a 5 year PT warranty.

·
9,755 Posts
:pop:

·
21,340 Posts
I was reading the installation instructions and noticed you have to remove the motor mounts and use spacers to lower the engine. I don't like the sound of that. If I was gong to go the FI route, I would buy a LS3 block and put in forged internals, then sell the LS7 to recoup some money back.

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
I was reading the installation instructions and noticed you have to remove the motor mounts and use spacers to lower the engine. I don't like the sound of that. If I was gong to go the FI route, I would buy a LS3 block and put in forged internals, then sell the LS7 to recoup some money back.
Don't disagree Jub, but frankly if I was going to replace the block, I'd probably go with an LSX or Warhawk aluminum or iron block (depending upon how much boost is planned).

Mike

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I keep reading that LS7 and boost are always a fatal combination...Cyl wall thickness and heat dissipation issues at the top of the failure list.
As far as wanting more HP & torque ? Not a bad thing,it's just our nature no matter the age of the boy ! lol Would you call it progressing adrenalin rush ?
If you have the means you keep building & adding until you have to change your shorts after every drive. Some people could give a bleep about more & more .. and then there are peeps like us
:lol:

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the boost on the Callaways is about 7.5 lbs, but I don't know if they do anything with the internals. The boost on the Edelbrock I was told is about 5 lbs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anyone have any updates on this? Looks like a very nice bolt on kit for the stock LS7.......

·
Registered
95 Posts
Since I started this thread maybe I will try to summarize...it is not a great idea to boost a stock LS7 engine. Sure folks have done it and had no problems but others have and have blown their engine. Do so at your own risk.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My bad...I started the Are Superchargers bad for LS7 engine which asked if the Edlebrock system was safe...sorry to hijack this from cwjh.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts