Corvette Z06 Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jim, the very same thing just happened to me! I have a 2007 Z06 and have always washed under the hood without any problems on late model cars. I washed the engine compartment, sprayed it out and finished the entire car. I went inside and about an hour later the horn is stuck on and I race to the garage and try hitting all the alarm buttons on the keyfob but that just made it crazier! I started the car and ran it for 2-3 minutes and the horns stopped. Back to my den for a beer and about 20 minutes later the horns started up again but this time, instead of one long blaring horn, it now is beeping a horn the way you might say "hello!" or you go first! then it turned into the beeping a really pissed off driver would do! " I store the car at my office when its not home, so thinking I had better get this car out of my neigborhood, and maybe a fast hit drive would dry out the relay panel or whatever it was that got soaked enough to misfire
The 15 minute drive to the office was filled with a lot of puzzled looks from other drivers wonderd what was the problem with the guy in the Vette!
It seemed to beep less......I will wait and see what it is waiting for me when I'm back in the office tomorrow!
What ended up being your problem I have got this same problem now . I haven’t seen any reply please share

·
Registered
33 Posts
I haven't had this happen again but I also haven't driven through any large puddles to see if I could get it to reoccur. The original posters in this thread might not be following it anymore. I was hoping that there was some TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) out there regarding the exact fix but I haven't found anything recent or relevant. So we have one of those rare problems that might take a few weeks (or months) until someone finds this thread again.

If I find something I'll post that here otherwise it will just be by trial until the problem becomes (possibly) more common.
Sorry that I don't have anything on this yet.

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,868 Posts
GM TSB

Document ID# 2037795

Subject: Horn Sounds Unwanted - keywords alarm corrosion electrical fuse horn intermittent relay UBEC water #PIC4673 - (11/12/2007)

Models: 2005-2008 Chevrolet Corvette

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment that the horn sounds unwanted. Removing the Horn Relay in the UBEC will disable the Horn.
Further inspection of the relay and UBEC may show water intrusion. This is typically caused by "power washing" the engine compartment.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Remove the horn relay and allow the UBEC and relay to dry.
(Do Not drive the vehicle or return the vehicle to the customer without a functional horn).
Once the relay and UBEC appear to be dry, reinstall the HORN relay and the concern should be eliminated.

Note: It is not recommended that high pressure washers be used to clean under hood.

If used extreme care must be used to not target electrical components and connections as the sealing systems used can be over come by high pressure water.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the TSB; mine's a 2009 but I doubt the problem would just 'go away' suddenly unless GM made some changes. In my case they didn't. I will check the horn relay inside the box if it happens again. Krugs76 does your car fall within the 2005-2008 year?

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,868 Posts
Notice that TSB was written on (11/12/2007)

so would not have included 2009 MY and there could be an updated TSB but your right no changes would have been made for this issue for 2009

·
Registered
33 Posts
I figured it could be one of those things where GM issued a fix but a 2009 could be produced in 2009 or late 2008 when the problem still existed. I didn't notice that the other posts in this thread included their car's production year so it would be difficult to narrow it down however every bit helps so thanks again. It is much easier when you know where to start looking and can at least rule out a known fault.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts