Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read a thread regarding someone having some initial trouble w/ the column lock issue.

I bought my 02 Z used at a Humvee / Buick dealer and got a call from them last week to bring the Z in for the column lock recall. I scheduled an apointment and brought the car to the dealer this AM. The service manager said that he did not have the parts (I'm guessing a PROM burner & the new code) to do the job. He suggested I take the Z to a Chevy dealer. I'm guessing this is a classic case of two groups (scheduling and service) not talking to each other. :bmad:

Is this recall something I should take care of and just get it over with or should I wait until I actually have a problem? The Fest is coming up soon so I don't want any problems 800 miles from home!

Thx,
Pat

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Yup, classic case of lack of communication. I think I would ask the dealer why this was not taken car of before the car was made available for sale? Now you have to go through the hassle of the dealership woes.
The recall is not going to eliminate the potential of the column locking up. I would not do it and install an after market by pass fix.
Congrats on the new car,

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Do a search on Column Lock - Recall. There is more info than you can shake a stick at. IMO the recall does ABSOLUTELY nothing to help prevent your car from having your column lock up. If you want that piece of mine buy a Column Lock bypass for 50.00. The down side is one measure of theft protection has been eliminated. If your car has any custom tuning, it will be eliminated when the recall is done. My biggest fear is taking the car to the dealer and having TOUCH them my car. :cheers:

·
Registered
265 Posts
If your car is under warranty have it done, if not, go the aftermarket route.
If you still have a warranty, the next time you take your car in for anything, they will run your VIN and see that it was not done and do it anyway. It happened to me, I lost my tune, I was pissed but since it was a recall item they did not have to notify me to do it.
Have fun with the new ride!
Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello everyone. First post here. I just picked up an '02 Z06 and learned about the column lock issue. Can anyone give more info about the column lock bypass?
Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Buy a case of :mug: & do a search. There is enough on this subject to keep you reading all night. :z:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Waste of time having the recall done, just a band-aid, not a fix. Just tell the dealer you don't want it done and they will enter it in their puter and not touch your Z. The General has sent me 7 recall notices even after having my dealer log in their puter, DO NOT TOUCH, CUSTOMER DOES NOT WANT, TUNE DONE.

Jack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts