Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone experience with changing over to electric water pump, does that free up some Hp on the Ls6 say with your bolt ons like headers and intake with a tune? thanx, Im thinking about getting in on the water pump GP if its worth any Hp :coo:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,127 Posts
I am thinking of the GP also.
If it would give 10 hp I would go for it. I also like the idea of more water flow at idle in traffic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
I'm sure you won't get 10 HP

I like the meziere electric water pump. I had one on my LT1 Trans Am. I picked up 5 RWHP above 4000 RPM. Another benefit is, I was able to run the water pump with the motor off, which is great for drag racing while you are in the stagging lanes. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
i read around that the lsx water pump starts to overheat the motor cause it wont flow enough coolant to support 800rwhp. i believe it frees up about 10hp over on the other forum other guys have gone back to a belt driven pump cause the lsx pump wouldnt flow what they liked in there high hp cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
What a electric pump does.

It will give about about 5-8 rwhp.

More importantly, it will keep your motor in ideal operating range. Mine has no heat soak. I mean none. Every ten degrees of temperature over the ideal temperature operating range is worth seven h.p. on a 346 and more on a larger motor. Ideal in my opinion is 187-195.

High heat/friction is what kills parts. If you can keep the temperture stable, tuning becomes much easier. In addition, it allows you to avoid detonation from to much heat.

When you can control running temperature, it is a beautiful thing on a high horsepower motor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
EDONIS001 said:
i read around that the lsx water pump starts to overheat the motor cause it wont flow enough coolant to support 800rwhp. i believe it frees up about 10hp over on the other forum other guys have gone back to a belt driven pump cause the lsx pump wouldnt flow what they liked in there high hp cars.
Edonis001,

Most people on the other forum are full of cht or don't know cht. Some however are very capable.

762 cid., 15-16 compression, 1,600 N/A Motor before a 2,000 H.P. multiple shot of NOS, running a Mez Pump. Straight long block is about 80k before NOS and everything else needed.

http://www.sonnysracingengines.com/products/engines/7621570hp.html

GR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,212 Posts
It may give you better performance because the engine temperature is better controlled, but it shouldn't give you much if anything in parasitic gains. The power it takes to turn the pump is the same whether driven mechanically or electrically. When you disconnect the pump from the serpentine belt and connect it to the alternator, the electrical load on the alternator goes up in proportion to the reduction in mechanical load.

Maybe the electric pump runs a little more efficiently. It probably presents a lower load than the mechanical pump at high RPM, since the electrical pump is constant RPM and it runs slower at peak engine RPM than the mechanical pump would.

But thermodynamics demand that it take the same power to do the same work, regardless of how the power is transmitted to the pump.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
RocketSled said:
It may give you better performance because the engine temperature is better controlled, but it shouldn't give you much if anything in parasitic gains. The power it takes to turn the pump is the same whether driven mechanically or electrically. When you disconnect the pump from the serpentine belt and connect it to the alternator, the electrical load on the alternator goes up in proportion to the reduction in mechanical load.

Maybe the electric pump runs a little more efficiently. It probably presents a lower load than the mechanical pump at high RPM, since the electrical pump is constant RPM and it runs slower at peak engine RPM than the mechanical pump would.

But thermodynamics demand that it take the same power to do the same work, regardless of how the power is transmitted to the pump.
Yeah...what he said. :rofl:
I wouldnt waste the money/time. Arent they still around $500?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,136 Posts
Another thing to consider is the life span of the pump. It's much lower than that of the mechanical pump. Do you really want to be replacing the water pump every few years?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,744 Posts
Resist said:
Another thing to consider is the life span of the pump. It's much lower than that of the mechanical pump. Do you really want to be replacing the water pump every few years?
The one on my Trans Am has been going strong for 10 years. It's also 3 times easier to change than a stocker. :z:
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top