Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this question asked before but have never seen a definitive answer. I would like to eliminate my pre-cats but am not really interested in headers (yet) or eliminating the main cats. All of the x-pipe setups I've seen bolt in "after" the main cats. To be more specific:

Is the exhaust pipe, forward of the main cats welded to the cats?

Is there a system that allows you to replace the pipe that connects the stock header to the main cats, eliminating the pups in the process but keeping the stock main cats?

And lastly, if I do decide on Headers, I remember a time when they were nothing but problems....warped flanges, leaks, heat problems etc.........is this still true?

Any help would be appreciated:cheers:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
An alternative is....

....to just put on a 2002 down pipe (with no pups) and cats.

Halltech sells them.

<------------------ Preferred Vendor over there.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: An alternative is....

DJWorm said:
....to just put on a 2002 down pipe (with no pups) and cats.
I've looked at that setup but $1300 is a lot to pay to eliminate a 6 inch section of my exhaust. It would be a lot cheaper to go to a muffler shop and have them cut out, then have new pieces welded in.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Im' not sure....

.....a muffler shop would do that. I now that some racers in stock classes have modified their pups and cats by just drilling out the pups.

Another guy I know took and opened up the top of the cat and took away the top half of the catalytic material, leaving a straight through flow channel and welding it back up. Unfortunetly I can't weld very good.

I think the Feds frown on doing this, that's why I think a reputable muffler shop wouldn't.

I guess what your asking for is a bolt in "test pipe" which was common when cats first came out. Many used them for things other than testing! That's why the Feds made all the auto Mnaufacturers weld those suckers in; to prevent acetyline challenged persons like myself, from playing with them.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh well, my birthday is next week, and I need to figure out what present to buy the Z.....maybe a MAFT to go with my T1

1 - 5 of 5 Posts