Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to tow my Z06 from florida to California and back each year. I am not sure of the demensions needed for the car, tire and tool storage. The main question is getting out of the car when loaded, or loading with winches. Any hints on types of tiedown would be appreicated.

Kevin:-? :-?

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Kevin,

First off Welcome aboard, great place here. Ok Trailers, in the links section their are a lot of links to diff. mfgr's. IMHO: Enclosed is the way to go, you will want trailer long and wide enough to get in & out w/no scraping. Some are driveon, some are winch on. Tiedown should be ratchet type w/locking . Good luck they aint cheep........................

:cool:

·
Registered
666 Posts
IWIK

If you could rent an enclosed trailer?? Anyone know if Hertz or anyone rents these types of trailers?

Z06Rod

·
Registered
267 Posts
Kevin,

I purchased a new enclosed trailer last year and put over 22,000 miles on it without a hitch.

Some suggestions

Electric wench, tie down hooks, drivers side door, 2" raised floor, beavertail, 22'-24' long 8.5' wide, 12"extension on ramp door. dome lights (at least 2)

The drivers side door should be the 4' type over the wheel wells. I used a tongue weight scale and found that I had the fight amount of weight distribution when I could open the side door, drive the car on the trailer, and when I could open the drivers side door without hitting anything, the car was in the correct spot.

Get a good set of ratched straps and use either the j-hooks to use the factory shipping attachments or axle straps to hold the car in place. Always set the emergency brake.

Also, get a an equalizing hitch with 1000 bars. and a sway bar. In going through the mountains and passing large truck on windy days, these are a must. I am sure I have overlooked a number of other items, but remember to always think saftey first. Every time you stop for gas, etc. check the tires (and torque them before every trip and every stop during the first 1000 miles.), hitches, and during the first two stops check the tie downs. If you have driven the vette prior to putting it on the trailer or go from hot climates to cold, the tire pressure will go down and the tie downs could become slack.

Personally, I bought a slope nosed trailer made by United Expressline and thought is was very well made.

If you lower the car

·
Registered
267 Posts
Kevin

I forgot to finish

If you lower your car, you may need a set of 2' 2x12's to keep the front air dam from rubbing the ramp.

G

·
Kevin,
Take it from someone how has spent an excesive amount of time in the last six months investigating trailers. You can get them in any size or shape you want, but do you want to buy if off someone's lot or special order? If you want to get it off a lot you will be severely limited. Most folks with Vettes either leave the top off or down with coupes and verts or leave the windows open then you can crawl out fairly easy. But if you want to open the door you will need to get a trailer with raised platforms over or six inches above the wheel well covers inside, then you can get a Vette door open with the extra driver's side trailer door. Most folks go this way even if you don't have the exit through the trailer door since it make life soooooo much easier to get to the tie down points.

Again if you want to have specific options you probably need to order it and most manuf. are quoting 8 10 weeks that I know of. Do your homework and check around, the most popular names are Pace, Featherlite big $$$, and Haulmark, but there are others out there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the helpful and prompt replies. The info is very useful and has helped on several phone calls.

Kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts