Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,
while i was drag racing the engine belt came off.. do you know what could the reason be?
i noticed i cant turn right or left and the engine temp increased plus the computer said service car soon.. so i just stopped the car and opened the bonnet and saw the belt off the engine, nothing wrong with it so we waited until the car cooled down and had the belt back.. but its weird i donno why did this happen?! should i get a new belt?

thanks all..
Ebrahim

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RocketSled said:
You should get a new belt.

You might check the tensioner.

Jumping belts are unusual, but they do happen.
thanks i think thats the best thing to do.. but nothing is wrong with the belt i already have.. thats so weird :-?

·
Registered
299 Posts
As was stated above, chech the tensioner. After a 15 to 20 lap race we use to find the belt moved over on the pulley. After changing the tensioner the problem is gone.

Tony #54

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Both Kartech and SLP make a aftermarket tensioner. :z:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
My belt came off my very first track session after my car was prepped for SCCA T1. Replaced the belt and it worked fine for a year. Replaced the engine last fall and at a race earlier this year at TWS after a qualifying session I noted the belt was two threads off the tensioner. Again, changed the belt (smart enough to now carry a spare) and it worked fine for the next two races (haven't used it since).

The belts do wear and racing puts a big torque on the motor than contributes to it walking off. Getting a new belt may fix your problem as it did mine.

Other potential causes:
- bad tensioner
- worn bearings in the components the belt turns such as the power steering pump. Check for longitudinal play in them.

I make checking my belt a regular part of my pre and post track session checks now. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Katech makes a billet upgraded belt tensioner to deal with this exact problem. I was thinking about adding this to my car, after reading your story I am sure I will do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts