Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
------While driving to work down the highway, at night, with no traffic, the car chimes and I get this message, "engine hot air conditioning off." First, I look at the a/c, it was already off. Next I check the engine temp gauge, the needle was on the lowest number 100* ( it should have been near 190*). I pulled over, checked things out. Nothing seemed unusual. As I sat on the side of the highway, i googled the "engine hot" message online, the I found information saying it was usually an error corresponding to a 160 degree thermostat mod (which requires programming to remove the error message), or a bad coolant temp sensor. So, I drove home after the car cooled off.
-----The next morning I turned the car on, but did not start it. The message engine hot a/c off popped up again, even though the engine was off for the last 12 hours. I went to a auto parts store, picked up a coolant temp sensor, installed it and the message was STILL there. Next, I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes and upon reconnection and startup, all was well again. I then verified thermostat function and it seems to be working fine.
------I am posting this because when I searched the "engine hot" phrase, nothing popped up on this forum and I thought that this might start happening to many others with our cars approaching 5, 6, 7 years old. I hope this helps someone else soon.
------The sensor was about $34, it is located on the drivers side of the engine, right in front of the foward most spark plug. With engine cool - just remove spark plug boot, unplug two-pin connector, and use 19mm wrench or socket to remove old sensor. coolant will come out, but if you are ready and quick, you wont lose much.
*****side note, my searching found info relating this problem to hot air vesus cold air conditions or 160* thermostat or wiring issues (other gm products, same issue). My car had the stock thermostat, I live in hawaii and it is practically the same temp all year long. 2006 Z06, 26000 miles, halltech intake, kooks headers and x pipe. otherwise stock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
------While driving to work down the highway, at night, with no traffic, the car chimes and I get this message, "engine hot air conditioning off." First, I look at the a/c, it was already off. Next I check the engine temp gauge, the needle was on the lowest number 100* ( it should have been near 190*). I pulled over, checked things out. Nothing seemed unusual. As I sat on the side of the highway, i googled the "engine hot" message online, the I found information saying it was usually an error corresponding to a 160 degree thermostat mod (which requires programming to remove the error message), or a bad coolant temp sensor. So, I drove home after the car cooled off.
-----The next morning I turned the car on, but did not start it. The message engine hot a/c off popped up again, even though the engine was off for the last 12 hours. I went to a auto parts store, picked up a coolant temp sensor, installed it and the message was STILL there. Next, I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes and upon reconnection and startup, all was well again. I then verified thermostat function and it seems to be working fine.
------I am posting this because when I searched the "engine hot" phrase, nothing popped up on this forum and I thought that this might start happening to many others with our cars approaching 5, 6, 7 years old. I hope this helps someone else soon.
------The sensor was about $34, it is located on the drivers side of the engine, right in front of the foward most spark plug. With engine cool - just remove spark plug boot, unplug two-pin connector, and use 19mm wrench or socket to remove old sensor. coolant will come out, but if you are ready and quick, you wont lose much.
****side note, my searching found info relating this problem to hot air vesus cold air conditions or 160 thermostat or wiring issues (other gm products, same issue). My car had the stock thermostat, I live in hawaii and it is practically the same temp all year long. 2006 Z06, 26000 miles, halltech intake, kooks headers and x pipe. otherwise stock.
Just had the same issue, simply unhooked the battery, re-connected and issue is fixed. My temp gauge wasn't working at all before unhooking the battery
thanks for the post

1 - 5 of 5 Posts