Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine light keeps coming on so I finally pulled a code from my car that read "10 PCM P1431H". I was told that this was a problem with the fuel pump pumping between two areas of the fuel tank. This was news to me. Also, after about 45 minutes of continuous driving, my fuel gage goes to empty with actual level above empty. Has anyone ever had these two problems? Are they related? If so, what needs to be replaced. I am thinking the whole sending unit is bad. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Do a search and you'll find some info on the code. It's something that's been a problem for some time with some cars. As the code that's set is a history code, the problem may have cleared itself. Run the codes again and see what you have. Clear the code and see if it reappears.

Charlie

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
When my car was new I had a lot of problems with the fuel gauge dropping to empty when there was over a 1/4 tank left. Talked to my very smart GM mechanic - he said it was due to sulfur build-up on the fuel sensor - common problem. His recommendation was to run a bottle of Texron Fuel additive or equiv., and the try to run Chevron gas as much as I could. He also said to avoid high sulfur gas like Shell and Phillips 66. I took his advise, and in the next 20K miles it happened only once, and that was after 2 tanks of Phillips 66, I put Chevron back in the next tank, zero problems since.

Try this first, easy fix if it works for you too...

Les

shane said:
My engine light keeps coming on so I finally pulled a code from my car that read "10 PCM P1431H". I was told that this was a problem with the fuel pump pumping between two areas of the fuel tank. This was news to me. Also, after about 45 minutes of continuous driving, my fuel gage goes to empty with actual level above empty. Has anyone ever had these two problems? Are they related? If so, what needs to be replaced. I am thinking the whole sending unit is bad. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Charlie, the code keeps coming back everytime I drive the car. I will try to do a search. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
shane said:
Charlie, the code keeps coming back everytime I drive the car. I will try to do a search. Thanks!
Something doesn't seem right here! If the code reappears every time you drive the car, I think it should be a "current" code and not "history" code. The H code will remain in the system until you clear it or until you have 50 ignition cycles.

Am I correct here or am I missing something?

Charlie

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
It is most likely the fuel sending units. They were quite notorius on all corvettes prior to the 03 model year. I believe it was 03 when they made a change to the sending unit design to help minimize the problem. It is usually a simple warranty fix that can be done by most vette techs.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Charlie - I am with you....

Shane - did you clear the code and it still came back as "H" ??

I still suggest the fuel additive to clean the sending units in the tank.

Les

NYCHASM said:
Something doesn't seem right here! If the code reappears every time you drive the car, I think it should be a "current" code and not "history" code. The H code will remain in the system until you clear it or until you have 50 ignition cycles.

Am I correct here or am I missing something?

Charlie

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did not clear the code. I will disconnect the battery to clear all codes and then see if it comes back.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I had this happen but only once on my 02. It was at 1/4 tank
and the next second warning me it was empty. Stopped and filled it up but the problem never reappeared.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
You don't have to disconnect the battery to clear the code - reset it through the DIC - if you don't know how do a search. Since you are reading the code all you have to do is hit reset with the code displayed on the DIC.

Les

shane said:
I did not clear the code. I will disconnect the battery to clear all codes and then see if it comes back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts