Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 with 3500 miles. Is it normal that the engine is noisier now that it is breaking in. I'm hearing lifter noise that was not there.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Noisier

No, could be a rocker arm.......there have been problems with some cars with them.......
Think it may be fuel injectors??.:-?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Some)'01's)

Have had problems with them loosening up, and backing out.........
So, unless the problem was/has been corrected..........it could be the case on the '02's......

I would suspect injector noise first, unless you find it in a "Particular" locale.........
Best way I know of to locate and pin point is with a piece of hose.......try listening to each area of your rocker arms, along the length.....

If you run into a louder spot.......then figure a rocker arm problem.

Sherylann, had hers do this, and Frank said she babied it..........
Ranger, also had one go south..................:(

·
Registered
765 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll have the dealer check it out when I go in for a steering wheel swap (going with mod. red leather accents).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before it warms up, it's super quite, but as it comes to operating temperature, you can hear it inside. it sounds like lifter noise. Does this explanation indicate a rocker arm problem to you?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Terry

See the above post, I do not know for sure.......but, if the noise is ISOLATED then I would think rocker arm FIRST......
Check it out, as described...........if it's ALL around, then it's probably injector noise,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Before it warms up, it's super quite, but as it comes to operating temperature, you can hear it inside. it sounds like lifter noise. Does this explanation indicate a rocker arm problem to you?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I also have slight lifter noise at operating temp,but,the car runs like a scalded dog,I would have to say it is stronger at 5,000 miles than it ever was.It is not enough to cause me concern....I think there may be a bit of needless worry that accompanies a relatively new car.Of course,I could be wrong.I have been known to be.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
A light tapping is not unusual from such a high performance engine. The LS6 has a very aggressive cam and some seriously stiff valve springs. And yes, it's normal for this sound to become noticeable after warm-up.
P.S......it mentions this in the video.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
VTR

I keep hearing that the Z has a fairly radical grind......I find it SOUNDS rather tame........

Are you speaking in the terms of lift & duration, or what.........mine sounds as quiet/ tame as a kitten,,,,,,,,:-?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: VTR

ZO6LS6 said:
I keep hearing that the Z has a fairly radical grind......I find it SOUNDS rather tame........
I think the reason this engine seems so refined speaks volumes for the induction, computer, and fuel injection systems on this engine. The lumpy idle normally associated with aggressive cams was probably more prevelant on carburated engines.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
well there ya go!

BrianK said:
sounds like a lifter click in my 2002 in 4th gear at 26 mph.
There's your problem Brian, you should be doin 100 in 4th:D :D
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
VettTheRipper said:

P.S......it mentions this in the video.
Seems like LOTS of folks do not watch the video :roll:
or they didn't get the video:eek:

·
Registered
765 Posts
fyrcaptain said:

Seems like LOTS of folks do not watch the video :roll:
or they didn't get the video:eek:
I call :bs: about the fact that it's in the video. I watched it and the only thing I recall is the tranny sound discussion when it comes to unusual noises.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Click ...Click...Click

Today I noticed the clicking sound. I thought it was from the music on the radio. Then I heard it on the commercial and the next song selection. I slowed down and turned the radio down and it went away. Probably because I changed speeds. Tomarrow I will pay more attention to the speed and the gear I am in and see if it is coming from the engine. Could be it was keeping pretty good time. At first I thought it was the key alarm fob bouncing against the bottom of the dash...It wasn't as I held the fob and the click was still there. VERY INTERESTING. :-? :-?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Sanford

Make sure it's not your TURN signal!!!!!!!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:
Does seem odd...............how MUCH did your speeed change??.
This is sounding more like my Tink, Tink, Tink posts!!!!!!!!:D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts