Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am investigating further my options to resolve my #2 cylinder ticking issue, I have had conflicting stories from different garages on what it takes to removed the motor from a Z06. One garage claimed that the engine has to come out of the bottom of the car. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

·
21,378 Posts
I know FRCTom took his out of the top but it ain't easy. The preferred method and the way the dealership and almost every tuner does it is out the bottom. Much faster and easier!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
The bottom is the best way, but you need a lift to do that. :z:

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
KCMAGS said:
That's the only way I've seen it done.
:yeadog: bottom :yeadog:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Go out the bottom have had three out and this is the only way to go. Looks worse than it is. go for it. you will need a lift to raise the body off the chassis

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The body doesn't need to come of the chassis for engine removal.

Basically after all wires and cables are disconnected the sub frame is disconnected and the body AND chassis are lifted off the power train and subframe or the powertrain and subframe are lowered from the body AND chassis, depending on your point of view.

Car Tech Books "How to Build High Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s" by Will Handzel has a 6 page, 29 step procedure outlined with pictures.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
whataz06 said:
As I am investigating further my options to resolve my #2 cylinder ticking issue, I have had conflicting stories from different garages on what it takes to removed the motor from a Z06. One garage claimed that the engine has to come out of the bottom of the car. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Did it a little different than Tom.

Hoisted it from above, and dropped the cradle from below (put it back in the same way). Made removing it from the driveline input shaft a lot easier and allowed you drop it without removing the bell housing or anything.

You can leave the brake lines in place and the AC compressor in the engine bay... just remove the rack, unbolt the mounts and remove the belt from the AC compressor and unbolt it so it sits to the side (wire it up so it won't fall when you pull the cradle out from below. Put the engine on a crane and after the cradle has been dropped (unbolt the a-arms from the tub) it just lift the engine out.

You can't just pull the engine because it has a funny shaped oil pan with wings that wraps around the cradle... you may be able to just lift it out if you remove the whole rear drivetrain also.

I have some photo's at http://www.muchneeded.com/ under my Galeries section (see the left menu).

Zed

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
While I agree that the bottom is preferred, the top is possible. I've had my motor out the top at least three times now. Last time was during the 04 SCCA National Championship Runoffs when my harmonic balancer came off bending the crank. We did an overnight engine swap in about 18 hours which is near book time and we had the added difficulty of pulling out and cleaning all the oil lines to the accusump and oil cooler.

To do the top we use large jack stands and three jacks. In a snapshot, we removed all the electrical connections, exhaust, top a-arm joints to spindle, removed the radiator, powersteering rack, ABS block, alternator, unbolt the clutch housing and slide the motor forward slightly using one jack on the front of the subframe, one on the back, and one on the spot on the torque tube to hold up the tranny. With the motor forward we hook it to a hoist then unbolt the engine from the subframe and move it forward and out. :cheers:

·
Registered
2 Posts
While I agree that the bottom is preferred, the top is possible. I've had my motor out the top at least three times now. Last time was during the 04 SCCA National Championship Runoffs when my harmonic balancer came off bending the crank. We did an overnight engine swap in about 18 hours which is near book time and we had the added difficulty of pulling out and cleaning all the oil lines to the accusump and oil cooler.

To do the top we use large jack stands and three jacks. In a snapshot, we removed all the electrical connections, exhaust, top a-arm joints to spindle, removed the radiator, powersteering rack, ABS block, alternator, unbolt the clutch housing and slide the motor forward slightly using one jack on the front of the subframe, one on the back, and one on the spot on the torque tube to hold up the tranny. With the motor forward we hook it to a hoist then unbolt the engine from the subframe and move it forward and out. :cheers:
How do you unbolt the clutch housing without lowering or dropping the cradle/subframe?

Also how do you slide the motor forward without unbolting it from the subframe first or do you mean motor mounts because that the only thing holding the engine?

or am I not understanding how this works?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts