Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Zee has been producing a very annoying squeak/squeal from the engine.. I thought it might be the serpentine belt, so I took it back to the dealer, and they said they replaced BOTH belts. I checked 'em out afterwards, and couldn't really tell if they were new or not. There weren't really any very visible markings on the serpentine, but then again I don't think all new belts have those, so I haven't questioned the dealer (yet).

Well, needless to say, 2 days after the belts were allegedly replaced, the squeaking started right back up again. It goes away if I spray a dry lube on the uppermost pulley, so now I'm thinking it's the pulley, but I'm really not sure because the squeal comes right back the next day....

So, I'm wondering... is it more common for a pulley or the serpentine belt to be making that annoying squeal? If it's the pulley, is there any easy way for me to remedy the problem myself, perhaps tighten it? Surely I'm no mechanic, but I'm just tired of spraying it as a 1 day fix...

:cheers:

·
21,382 Posts
You solved your own problem. If you sprayed a dry lube on the pulley and the noise goes away well...

Remember the old saying, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease!" :lol:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jub jub said:
You solved your own problem. If you sprayed a dry lube on the pulley and the noise goes away well...

Remember the old saying, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease!" :lol:
Hehe yeah but I'm always leary when it comes to engines - I wasn't completely sure since some lube got onto the belt also... but, you're probably right - it's most likely the pulley. ;)

Is there an easy way to tighten the pulley? I don't remember seeing a nut on the pulley to tighten or anything, so I'm thinking it won't be a cut & dry task... or maybe tightening it won't even help - I'm thinking if it really is loose, simply applying lube wouldn't have made the sound go away. So, maybe it's just some kind of friction against the pulley's connector or something... any suggestions??? (other than spraying it with lube again..) :D

:cheers:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, if you pop the hood and look at the engine from the driver's side, it's the topmost and nearest pulley to the driver's side of the engine bay. In that pic, I believe it would be the top right pulley.

·
21,382 Posts
You have two choices, replace the whole assembly or replace the bearing. The dealer will sell you the whole assembly (bearing and wheel) which means $$. You can probably pick up the bearing at an auto parts store or a bearing and drive shop. They can match the number for you.

I replaced the one on my Ford P/U truck and I used a vice to pop the old bearing out and put the new one in. Piece of cake!

·
21,382 Posts
Those pulleys come as an assembly. Not sure what the General gets for them but I'm sure they're not cheap. But hey, isn't it still under warranty?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jub jub said:
Those pulleys come as an assembly. Not sure what the General gets for them but I'm sure they're not cheap. But hey, isn't it still under warranty?

Nice illustration.. it's definitely either belt # "1", or the pulley attached to the Generator - # "7". I can't really figure out which pulley accompanies the generator in that illustration, but it looks like it'd be pulley # 12...

It's still under dealer warrantee, but the dealer is about 45 minutes away, and I've gone back and forth a few times already for stupid problems such as this.. :flaming: I'd just hate to make that drive again... I'd almost rather pay for it if it won't cost me too much $$, or, attempt to fix it myself... :eek:o:

·
21,382 Posts
Pulley #5 is the tensioner for the everything except the AC and operates belt#1. You can see it from the passenger side engine compartment. Take a wrench (I think 17mm) put it on the bolt and release the tension from the belt and slip the belt off. Inspect the belt for wear and or cracks. If the dealer did indeed replace the belt, it will look and smell like a new one. Yes smell, a new belt will smell like rubber. If that looks OK, spin all the pulleys and listen/feel for anything other than baby smooth operation. Any roughness at all in the way a tensioner spins can cause the noise. If any of the wheels spin too easily, they could be worn. A new bearing will not spin easily but will be very smooth when you roll it back and forth.

I hope any of this rambling helps. I just know what to look for, not how to explain it. :lol:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
If the squeak goes away when you spray dry lube on the belt, then it's not a pulley bearing.

It could be that the pulley is wobbling slightly and it causes some movement between the belt and pulley, which causes the squeak. If the dealer did put new bolts on, and it came right back, I would suspect a bad pulley alignment or wobbling.

Eyeball the pulley carefully to see if they are aligned and true while the engine is running.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ZeeOhSix said:
If the squeak goes away when you spray dry lube on the belt, then it's not a pulley bearing.

It could be that the pulley is wobbling slightly and it causes some movement between the belt and pulley, which causes the squeak. If the dealer did put new bolts on, and it came right back, I would suspect a bad pulley alignment or wobbling.

Eyeball the pulley carefully to see if they are aligned and true while the engine is running.
Actually, now that you mention it, I did notice a pulley wobbling slightly, but it wasn't the uppermost pulley that I sprayed with lube. It was actually the larger bottom pulley that was wobbling (I believe it would be pulley #9 in the illustration). At the time I didn't suspect it was anything serious because the squeal went away after spraying the upper pulley... but perhaps the upper pulley is wobbling too, slightly enough as to be less noticeable.. ? Is there a nut on pulley #12? I think that's the pulley that's squeaking. If so, tightening it should solve the problem, right? I don't remember there being a nut on it though... how else could I tighten that pulley???

·
21,382 Posts
#12 is the AC belt tensioner. BTW, on the tensioner pulleys, if you put a wrench on the bolt and go to tighten, it loosens the belt. They are spring loaded and very stiff.

Why don't you get a new belt and give that a try. That's the easiest thing you can do to troubleshoot the squeal and then go from there.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Z06 Rocket said:
At the time I didn't suspect it was anything serious because the squeal went away after spraying the upper pulley... but perhaps the upper pulley is wobbling too, slightly enough as to be less noticeable.. ?
If you sprayed one pulley the lube will be picked up by the belt and carried to all the pulleys ... so it might be hard to tell which one is the source.

You could spray the suspect pulley and see it it goes quiet instantly, or if it takes a few seconds. If it's instantly, then chances are it's that particular pulley. If it takes a few seconds to go quiet, then it could be another pulley that the belt is transferring lube to.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
jub jub said:
Why don't you get a new belt and give that a try. That's the easiest thing you can do to troubleshoot the squeal and then go from there.
I thought the dealer (supposedly) already put new belts on it ... then 2 days later the squeak came back.

If that is the case, then maybe a wobbling pulley is causing the new belt to wear to the point where a squeak develops.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts