Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sherylann came home tonight and said, "Something is wrong with the engine!!"

I'm thinking, yeah right, you just aren't driving it like it should be driven!! :roll:

Sure enough, loud tapping. :eek: Doesn't sound like a rod, but rather a lifter. Not sure what is wrong, but it is bad!! :cry: Sounds like a broken rocker stud or spring. Not good!! I'm really concerned!!

The worse part is she will be driving my Z until I can get hers into the dealership on Monday. :eek: If she drove it the way a Z should be driven, I would understand. But, she drives it like 2 old people F^#K...slow and easy!!

I will keep you all informed, but I am afraid she has serious damage. :(

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Frank,

Can you tell which side of the engine it is coming from?

I remember one of the other members had a problem where the rocker stud backed out on one of the heads (must of run out of loctite at the factory). Hopefully that's all it is (easy fix).

Good luck, let us know what they find.

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Frank, no worries. Nothing Mr. GoodCavalierWrench can't take care of. :lol: Better find someone like C4C5tech to take car of it or there may be an inline 4 installed. :eek:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sherylann has 13K on the clock. Sounds like left bank, hard to tell, but the car is sitting until the problem is resolved. We have a good wrench at the dealership. I have a call into him right now, just waiting on a call back. Not good, but warranty will take care of it. She babys that damn Z, so I know she hasn't stressed anything...in fact she desn't drive it hard enough!! Sounds like a valve train problem to me. :-?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Frank--If it turns out to be the needle bearings falling out of t he rockers--make sure they pull the pan to check for needles.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Frank; sorry to hear this. I suspect it is minor in that it didn't act up as though she was on the quarter mile. You did the right thing in parking it.

Best wishes; Pat :)

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Maybe you should go drive the hell out of it now to ensure that its really broken :eek: But hopefully your guy won't skimp on the repair.....

JC

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mechanic just called me, he's going to swing by in the morning to take a listen. He's thinking needle bearings on a rocker.

Still, awefully nice of him to swing by on his own time to check it out. :cool:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My mechanic just stopped by to listen to the engine....on his own time on a Sunday morning!! :) Super nice guy!! :yeadog:

He recommends it be flatbedded to the dealership, sounds like a lifter problem!! :cry: Won't know for sure till he gets it torn apart.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Sorry to hear. Hopefully just a bad rocker arm,or better yet, one just loosened up. Keep your fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Hope all goes well at the Dealership Monday AM.....Sounds as if you have a competent mechanic that will be taking care of the ailment.......Good Luck :)
Zman

·
Registered
837 Posts
I had (just) one broken rocker arm

Frank,

My Z06 experienced one broken rocker arm at about 7000 miles. Not event related; just broke driving up my driveway. Similar noise to what you've described. Dealer checked carefully and found all the other rocker arms to be fine, just as the puch rods were. At the time, the factory said a small number of Z06s each had one rocker arm break and "bad parts" were the cause.

Mine was repaired and has been stressed considerably since :)....with no recurrence or ill effect.

Hoping your problem is this or something similarly benign.

Ranger

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hey Frank,

Maybe you can use your super moderator powers to get GM
to give you one of those new models in its place ( a 20054502800)

Best of luck,

2Charmed

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts