Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not get much time to test with the Ease PDA or Pro PCM scanner version today but will do so tomorrow.

With the pro version as to bidirectional being it was designed for G.M service tech types it allows to turn on or off these functions :

1-2 Shift Solenoid
1-2 Solenoid
1-4 Shift Lamp
1-4 Shift Solenoid
1st Gear Start
2-3 Shift Solenoid
2-3 Solenoid
2WD High Indicator Light
3-2 Downshift Solenoid
3-2 Shift Solenoid Duty Cycle
3-2 Solenoid
3-2 Solenoid Override
4WD High Indicator Light
4WD Low Indicator Light
A/C Clutch
A/C Relay
Adapt Clear
AIR Pump Relay
AIR Solenoid Relay
Alternator L-Terminal
Alternator Lamp
ATC Motor A Slip Adapt PWM
ATC Motor B Slip Adapt PWM
Auto 4WD Indicator Light
BLM Learn
BLM Reset
Boost Duty Cycle
Boost Solenoid
Canister Purge Duty Cycle
CCP Duty Cycle
Change Oil Lamp
Chassis Pitch Signal
Check Gages Lamp
Clear Trans Adapts
Commanded Air/Fuel Rate
Commanded Gear
Coolant Gage Duty Cycle
Cruise
Cruise Clutch Control
Cruise Control Disable
Cruise Enable
Cruise Inhibit
Cruise Motor Move
Cruise Motor Pulse Time
Cylinder 1 Injector
Cylinder 2 Injector
Cylinder 3 Injector
Cylinder 4 Injector
Cylinder 5 Injector
Cylinder 6 Injector
Cylinder 7 Injector
Cylinder 8 Injector
Cylinder Injector
Delta Spark Retard
Desired Idle Speed
Desired Spark Retard
Disable All Injectors
Disable Idle Mode Spark
Disable Idle Spark
EGR Duty Cycle
EGR Pintle Position
EGR PWM Duty Cycle
EGR Solenoid Duty Cycle
Engine Oil Life
Engine Shutoff
Engine Speed
ESC Init
EVO Duty Cycle
Fan - High Speed
Fan - Low Speed
Fan 1 Relay
Fan 2 and 3 Relay
Fan 2 Relay
Fan Relay
First Gear Start
Force Motor
FP Relay
Front Axle Switch
FT Enable
FT Reset
Fuel Closed Loop
Fuel Control
Fuel Gage State
Fuel Injector Control
Fuel Level
Fuel Level Lamp
Fuel Mode
Fuel Pump Relay
Fuel Pump Speed Control
Fuel Trim Enable
Fuel Trim Reset
Garage Shift Adapts Reset
Gear Override
Gear Select
Generator L Terminal
Glow Plug
Green Odometer
Hot Engine Lamp
Hot Lamp
Hot/Low Coolant Lamp
IAC Closed Loop
IAC Motor Reset
IAC Position
IAC Reset
Idle Speed
Initiate CASE Algorithm Learn Crank
Initiate Crankshaft Pos Variation Learn Enable
Initiate Crankshaft Position Variation Learn
Initiate EVAP Service Bay Test
Injector #1
Injector #2
Injector #3
Injector #4
Injector #5
Injector #6
Injector #7
Injector #8
Injector A
Injector B
Injector C
Injector D
Injector E
Injector F
Injector Fuel Control
Injector Select
ITV Relay
Learn Trans Adapts
Loop Status
Low Coolant Lamp
Low Fan
Low Oil Lamp
MIL
Mode Select
NERMIL Lamp
Neutral Indicator Light
Oil Pressure Lamp
PC Solenoid
PC Solenoid Current
PC Solenoid Duty Cycle
PC Solenoid PWM
PCS Duty Cycle
Purge Solenoid
Purge Solenoid Commanded State
Purge Solenoid PWM
QDM Quick Test
Rear O2 Heater
Remote Keyless Entry Control
Reverse Inhibit
Ride Control
Second Gear Start Lamp
Service 4WD/AWD Lamp
Shift Adapts Reset
Shift Light
Shutter Relay
Skip Shift Lamp
Skip Shift Relay
Skip Shift Solenoid
Spark Control
Spark Retard
Starter Inhibit
Steady State Adapts Reset
STS Lamp
TCC
TCC Control Solenoid
TCC Control Solenoid Duty Cycle
TCC Enable
TCC Enable Solenoid
TCC PWM Duty Cycle
TCC PWM Solenoid Override
TCC Solenoid
TCC Solenoid Duty Cycle
Timing Set
Transfer Case Lock
Transmission Detent Relay
Transmission Oil Life
Upshift Lamp
Upshift Telltale
Vehicle Speed
Vent Solenoid
WOT 1-2 Shift Adapts Reset

Plus make changes lets say that the gas gauge is off. If it says the tank is 90% full, I can change it to a different value. Same lets say if speedo is off.
Should be interesting to test this pro version and see what sneaky things I can do.
I'll go into depth on this with those of you coming to the test/tune this Saturday.

BTW I wll be writing a monthly column for a new magazine related to the Corvette and they will be at our test/tune day this Saturday for a photo shoot so shave ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
even more functions

In testing the Ease Pro version scanner I find not only can I see within the PCM but also.

BCM - body control modules
DDM- driver door module
PDM- passenger door module
HVAC- climate control panel
IPC- instrument panel control
Radio
MSM- memory seat module
RFA- remote function actuator
SDM- sensing diagnostic module
ABS- anti-lock braking system

thus you have nowhere to hide, we can see all ..... :)

Plus it also works with all C4 MYs, and if you have Ford, Dodge or toyota, the same unit scans all their models.
So one scanner gives you lots ok snooping power.
Today I used it to tell PCM to shut down the cags and its light.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Sounds cool

John,

Sounds very cool, but can you elaborate a bit? Does it actually allow you to save PCM modifications into flash, i.e. disabling cags, changing fan turn on/off temps etc? Or are these on/off settings only temporary, that is only while EASE is connected to the car?

You also said it works on all C4s (including my '85) Does it come with two cables, or is the C4 cable extra?

Thanks

·
Registered
396 Posts
This looks nice. thanks for the info. Will the pro version allow you to turn your fans on at the strip when you want? will it turn off the CAGS? etc.. Are these functions only supported when the scanner is pluged in? or do they stay after you remove it? Whats the price range of the Pro version? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
765 Posts
But wait, there's more questions:D

For the PDA version, does it offer all the same features or is it downscaled?

How much is the pro version vs. the regular version of EASE? If I understand correctly the main difference is that with the pro version you can access more info, but you can program (turn on/off) with both versions if you get a GM specific one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Sounds cool

Being its a test tool and not a re-programer of the PCM software itself, the scanner is changing a value in PCM memory and thus when car is turned off, the change would be gone.
Its man purpose is to test a function by turning that function on or off.
But that still can be nive to have lets say at the race track and you want the fan relays forced on.

Ease makes different versions of the pro version that depending on the model you buy allows the car types of that model(s) to be used.
So if you buy a OBD-II version only.
then no C4 using OBD-I would link, you could later on add a option to then also allows OBD-I (C4s) or buy a higher model that includes both ECM and PCMs.

The model I am testing now is the big daddy, does all American nameplates, both OBD versions, bi-directional, data logger and monitoring all other electronics in the car.

The Pocket P/C version I am also testing is neat but the pro version allows a bunch more functions to be monitored.

pmontelo said:
John,

Sounds very cool, but can you elaborate a bit? Does it actually allow you to save PCM modifications into flash, i.e. disabling cags, changing fan turn on/off temps etc? Or are these on/off settings only temporary, that is only while EASE is connected to the car?

You also said it works on all C4s (including my '85) Does it come with two cables, or is the C4 cable extra?

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The PDA or pocket P/C models do generic OBD-II where any of the desk/lap top versions also do the enhanced, which gives many more functions then what EPA requires.

The PDA & PPCs scan and record, you can then store and replay the recording.
Ease is working on a enhanced version for thpse two units so they will be close to what the laptop personal enchanced version does.

As to what Ease charges, the personal enhanced version is 350 ( any models I can get you a 10% discount) and the Pro version starts around $700 and goes as much as $2,000 for a balls out, every option version.

The Personal enhanced version is what most of us use and does as a scanner "Read Only" no bidirectional, but Ease allows people to pay less on upgrading as people want to add more features.

You can mix and match the feaures/options you want, Ease then just gives you a new access code that turns those features on within the same model.

Lambinator said:
But wait, there's more questions:D

For the PDA version, does it offer all the same features or is it downscaled?

How much is the pro version vs. the regular version of EASE? If I understand correctly the main difference is that with the pro version you can access more info, but you can program (turn on/off) with both versions if you get a GM specific one.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Thanks John!

It is really good to have a member with your knowledge of PCM's and scan tools here at Z06.com!
Sorry to be redundant, (I left similar questions on another thread you posted on)
What are, and how many componants are needed to make the changes / read the PCM?
If these pieces are left hooked up, when the key is turned off, do you loose the changed settings?
When removed, do all settings go back to a default mode?
What is needed to interface the recordings to a home based PC?
To get that special price, do we have to join the ZR1 team at your site?
Thanks again:)
:cheers:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Thanks John!

fyrcaptain said:
What are, and how many componants are needed to make the changes / read the PCM?

To Scan / Monitor a PCM you need some type of P/C, either PDA, pocket P/C, laptop or worse case a desktop P/C.
You get a PCM interface cable that connects to the serial com port of P/C and the DLC connector under the dash.
As far as changes, not sure what you mean but as to the pro version of Ease scanner, the same parts are used, some type of P/C and the interface cable.

If these pieces are left hooked up, when the key is turned off, do you loose the changed settings?

Remember, with the scanner you are not rewriting the PCM software, the scanner is poking a different value into PCM memory where a function resides while the PCM is on, thus as soon as the key is turned off the PCM RAM is cleared and so is the temp change. Think of what the pro version is a tech test tool allowing tech to turn functions in another state to test to see how that function responds. This allows the car to be driven and monotor how that function is doing with this change but when engine is shut down, that test change is cleared out.

When removed, do all settings go back to a default mode?

Yes, when the car is turned off, all RAM is cleared and next time car is started new values from PCM software put its coded values back in. Think of this as a poke into PCM RAM by the scanner.
If your looking to re-write PCM code, there are a few vendors who will be selling such a product within a few months, so they say that will allow you to custom re-calibrate PCM functions

What is needed to interface the recordings to a home based PC?

No difference, as long as the desktop has a serial com port ( if you only have a USB port then you have to get a USB to serial cable from Ease) you install your Ease scanner software also on that P/C.

To get that special price, do we have to join the ZR1 team at your site?

Team ZR-1 has never charged any money for being a teammate, we are not some club, we're a team of hardcore Corvette owners of all model years, helping each other enjoy the car, thus your welcome to be a teammate, if not ,
as team charter says, we help all in Corvette family and thus, no you do not need to be a teammate, I'll still get you the discount a teammate would get.

Thanks again:)
:cheers:
Quite Welcome

1 - 9 of 9 Posts