Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine keep coming loose, especially 2-3 days after an autocross. I routinely check the torque on all the lugs before and after each run. However I was suprised to find 1 front wheel on Wednesday had all the nuts just finger tight and 2 nuts on the opposite rear were also loose. After autocrossing I took off my racing rims and tires and put the stock ones back on. I religously and meticulously torqued all the nuts to spec: 30/60/90. I am now torquing to 110 ft-lbs and have not seen any further problems. Only thing I can think of is that the rotors and studs were hot from autocrossing when I put the street tires back on and they cooled down afterwards and loosened up. I must admit I didn't routinely check the tightness while driving on the street. I do now!...

....CHECK YOUR NUTS OFTEN!!!!

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
My wife checks my nuts often, but probably not often enough. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

·
Registered
0 Posts
Let, me go check!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif Yep, nuts are still where they belong!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Sherylann, come here and check my nuts!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Frank Quicksilver 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, B&B PRT's with Speedway Tips, Ripper Shifter with Momo Knob, Chrome Z06 Wheels

Sherylann Black 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, Chrome Z06 Wheels

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So Frank....if she does are you going to return the favor and check hers???? Madness....Maddness!!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts

On 2001-08-22 23:34, DJWorm spewed forth this drivel:
So Frank....if she does are you going to return the favor and check hers????
OH MY GOD!! HER NUTS ARE GONE!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

·
Registered
906 Posts
These Corvettes have got to be a MAN'S CAR... first we're asked: "do you play with your DIC when you drive your Vette?, or... do you look at your DIC when you're driving?" ...now it's all about nuts!! Sure don't have this discussion on the M-B board!:eek:

HarleyB

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
HarleyB said:
These Corvettes have got to be a MAN'S CAR... first we're asked: "do you play with your DIC when you drive your Vette?, or... do you look at your DIC when you're driving?" ...now it's all about nuts!! Sure don't have this discussion on the M-B board!:eek:

HarleyB
And Now My Nuts ache

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Incidentally, when I had my headers installed just the other day, the mechanic found that the bolt holding my steering link together was loose. :rolleyes: I'm just glad that HE found it, and not me (and not the hard way)...

-Kirk

·
Registered
528 Posts
fcalmes said:

OH MY GOD!! HER NUTS ARE GONE!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

No Frank not gone..... He's right where he always is on z06vette.com :D :D

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
DJWorm said:
....CHECK YOUR NUTS OFTEN!!!!
What is the proper procedure? I don't know about the rest of you, but 110 ft lbs sounds a bit extreme for my "boys".

Do I need to turn my head and cough? :p

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
fcalmes said:
That adds new meaning to "hung like a squirrel". :lol:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Jesus you torque your nuts that hard...relax yourself....

Damn you guys are way to much

·
Registered
906 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
DJ,
That should not happen.
Do you have the proper fitting lug nuts for the racing wheels?
If so then 100 lb. ft. should keep them on.
I can tell you that 100 lb. ft. will keep the stock wheel on after track use. Usually the nuts get very hard to remove after being hot on the track, not loose like you describe.
Try checking your torque wrench against 1 or 2 others.

·
Registered
223 Posts
old nuts r torqued

1 - 20 of 21 Posts