Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I just purchased by first Corvette this past Friday, a 2002 Z06. I drove the car about 4hours home after picking it up at the dealer and I didn't notice this during that long drive, but tonight for a quick ride around town I noticed an extreme amount of heat coming from the transmission tunnel and into the armrest. As a matter of fact, I had some spare keys in there that were almost to hot to touch!
The car does have an exhaust system on it (which the previous owner installed or had installed) so I don't know if there would be some sort of heat shield that should be there and is missing or if this is a common thing for these cars. Any help would be appreciated!

- Alex
2002 Z06 w/ intake and exhaust.

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
It's a common problem in the C5 & C6. Just don't store a candy bar or ammo in the console. You can't eliminate the problem but you can minimize it by insulating the tunnel plate or replacing the stock one with a thicker, ceramic coated model.

·
9,755 Posts
No problem with mine,stock exhaust.
al
:thumb: Same here. It does get a little warm, but not as bad as others have described. I think if you have LT headers and/or aftermarket exhaust the heat is much worse.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
LAPD has (or had) a ceramic coated tunnel plate, that replaces the cheap tin one that's stock. It significantly reduces heat soak from the exhaust, which runs directly down the center of the car, immediately beneath that plate. It also has the added advantage of stiffening up the chassis significantly. The car has a lot less twist with one of these installed. It's fairly easy to install, just nuts and bolts (though there's a pissload of 'em).

I have one, obviously!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rocket! that's what I will probably do. one more thing to add to the list! and the Chassis stiffening is an added bonus!

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
You may also want to do a google for Elite Engineering. They make tunnel plates for C5's and C6's in addition to other corvette items.

I have one of their insulated tunnel plates and it really helps reduce the heat from the LT headers I have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts