Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
If you're not planning to go wth alot more hp I would go with the single disc exedy ! The dual works well but would be rough if you have to drive in traffic everyday ! The dual does not slip when let the pedal out it's engaged ! IMHO !

Rob

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Pricing on the dual disc Exedy is usually around $1800.00. The single is around $1300. If you aren't into heavy drag or road course racing, and since you are basically stock, I would try the Textrailia clutch. I have seen the report from JRod on this clutch and it may be the next best thing since sliced bread.
I had the single disc Exedy. The pedal pressure was pretty high and the engagement was 1"-2" from the top. Made for easy powershifting. But at the dragstrip, when I shifted into 3rd at high rpm, it was like hitting Torque Management. At 4,000rpm the engine would would start pulling very slow up to redline. I would not buy it again.
There is another thread in this section about a clutch from RPS Performance Products. Poister says he has had good experience with the clutch. Probably not as expensive as the Exedy.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I have the dual and drive it everyday. It takes some getting use to it.
It does have a sharp engagement. But then again I slipped out 2 OEM clutches and I can't tear the dual up, YET.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hey FlossyZ06,

I have an Exedy Dual on the shelf waiting to go into mine.

I think I paid $1400 as part of a GP from MTI.

After reading about several failures of this clutch, I found an article in Corvette magazine about installing this very clutch and they had a tip to drill out the restriction in the clutch slave line.

Apparently the factory added this to reduce driveline shock by slowing down the engagment.

My suspicion is that the dual disk is much more sensative to this restiction than a single disk, and I'm shure going to drill it out on mine.

I went with the dual because the published spec indicates an actual lower spring pressure (softer pedal) than the single. And the light weight 1 pc steel flywheel was important to me also.

·
Registered
387 Posts
FlosyZ06 said:
Im thinking of the Excedy twin for my first clutch replacement, im pretty much stock running on DR's, how is it for daily driving and on the strip, what is the pricing, will ther be a package including lightweight flywheel.

thanks. :usa:
Just curious, if your stock why do you need to change your clutch anyway (stock can hold about 450 rwhp)?

In anycase, the exedy is generally a good clutch, although I have heard of them breaking. A bit pricey IMO.

If you do need/get a new clutch, it would behoove you to get a lightweight flywheel and pressure plate if possible (lighter rotating mass makes a huge difference)...do it once, do it right!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts