Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This a reprint from another forum

Awhile back, I indicated that I had a problem with my recently purchased Exedy Twin Disk clutch setup. I have just rec’d word from them and feel comfortable relaying my experience. Hopefully I will be able to help some of you save a few dollars as you decide on which clutch to buy.

I purchased an Exedy Twin in Nov. of last year for about $1500, which is actually a pretty good price as most pay more than $1,700. I paid the normal $500 for the install bringing the total spent to more than $2000. Not a small chunk of change, but I was ok with spending that much because I was assured that the clutch would handle more than 800hp. I put the recommended 500 miles on the car (both highway and stop and go traffic) to break the clutch in. The clutch felt great. The Exedy engagement is second to none..a little better than stock almost. That wasn’t the only thing that was little better than stock (i.e ability to hand high hp cars).

I had recently made a few changes to the my car and needed to retune so I drove my car to my local dyno which was about 60 miles from my house. I did about 4 pulls over the span of about 2 hours. None of the pulls were clean because my tires continued to spin on the rollers (Pilot Sports). I decided to take the car off the dyno and to do a quick burnout in the parking lot to heat them up. I did just that, one burnout, and put the car back on the rollers. I did the first pull and I couldn’t believe it my tach shot to 5k rpm. I did one more pull…same thing. I came to the immediate realization that I had just lost 2K. My clutch was gone. I tried to drive it home, but about 10 miles from house the car would not move forward. I had to have the car towed home…yet another expense.

There was no way in the world that I was going to buy another Exedy, but I decided to give them a chance to make good on their product. My installer sent the clutch in to be inspected for warranty (IN NOVEMBER). After more than 2 mos., I just rec’d word that there is nothing that they can do for me. Now if I had gone to the track and made 1 decent pass, I would have been able to accept this…because that’s kind of how it goes. But I never even made it down the ¼ once. Hell I hadn’t even gone full throttle on the street with it. I started digging to see what other hi-hp cars were doing for a clutch because I needed to do something…even considered going to an auto. I spoke to 5 other vette guys that were running a lot of power regarding what they were using for a clutch. It led back to McCloed and Spec and a few others. What was interesting was that many of those guys had used the Exedy Twin and relayed similar experiences (to mine) Many of them knew of others that had similar experiences. I won’t name names , but I’ll leave it up to them to chime in if they choose. There is a thread on the forum that talks about some of the Exedy problems, so these aren’t anomolies. Funny things is…not too long after my fiasco (no saying that my issues played a roll in this), they lowered the hp/tq rating of their street twin. It seems that these weren’t isolated incidents. Yet they told their distributors that they were. Yeah, a few occurrences are isolated incidents…there were clearly more than a few. Bottom line is…the hp ratings for their clutches are overrated. Even if this was a quality control problem, which it could be. Do you want to be the guy that gets stuck with the bill for their quality issues. I paid $2k for a $1,500 – 1,800 clutch, I would have expected more. In this case, I didn’t get what I paid for.

For you guys that have these clutches already, you may be ok…don’t know. Besides, there is nothing you can do about it now, except to make sure your AAA Gold membership is paid up. For guys considering purchasing this clutch, save your money and buy something else. There is a triple coming out that is supposed to cost more than $3K. BUYER BEWARE!!!!!

McCleod seems to be the best option. I sent my old clutch in to be rebuilt. Turnaround was 1 day (1 ½ weeks total including ship time) and it only cost $300. Plus I can upgrade to a sintered iron disk setup which will hold 1000rwhp. The upgrade price is reasonable and if you were buying this setup from scratch, it would be much less than the Exedy.

I am truly disappointed at the outcome of this, but live and learn. Hopefully this will save some of you a few dollars.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1018996

·
Registered
654 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Not sure if it is an issue for my stock hp.
I'd probably go with a Spec since I had one on my last car and it worked fine.

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
IT L GO said:
This a reprint from another forum
I am truly disappointed at the outcome of this, but live and learn. Hopefully this will save some of you a few dollars.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1018996
WOW. I'm truly sorry to hear about the problems you experienced. I'm still looking at a clutch fly wheel set up and you've saved me some money and time. What really blows me away is the business mentality, or lack thereof, of some businesses.

It can take a year to gain a customer and seconds to loose one. Some businesses still haven't figured out one unhappy customer can result in many lost sales. Well they just lost another sale with me.

·
21,378 Posts
I hope that Australian clutch works out. I can't remeber the last time I've heard anything good about aftermarket clutches.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Sorry to hear this but its all too frequent in high HP cars.

I lost my initial McCleod dual disc shortly after the install and sent it back to have the pressure plate beefed up and the discs resurfaced with Kevlar. Could have gone with Iron also but was told they were a bit more herky jerky. After a few thousand miles, so far so good with mine.

One important thing to do with a new clutch is to give it 500 miles of (Local stop and go) break-in driving. Highway driving does little good as you rarely change gears on the freeway enough to justify the effort and there is not as much drag on the clutch as you will see starting out from a stop.

While its apart, changing out the pilot and throw out bearing is always a good idea if you have any mileage on the car.

Pat

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hey IT L GO,

Sorry for your frustrations on this one, and I appreciate your taking the time to type it all up.

I have an Exedy twin in the box, waiting to install with LG LT's and hopefully a CF shaft.

It looks like a serious component, very suprising it is not holding up to expectations.

The literature I've read from the web actually rates the clutch in terms of ft-lbs torque, not HP. Only the stock Z06 HP is listed, and is actually footnoted as reference only. Not that it matters, I'm just thinking out loud.

I'm no clutch expert (I've wrenched for years and I'm now a Mechanical Test Engineer) but I think it's got to be something with the disks getting stuck on the output shaft and not clamping the center plate. This is the place I'd be looking first.

Did all the friction surfaces look the same on inner and out faces ?

I want to use this clutch because of it's light, all steel flywheel, but hoped it could take lots of miles of abuse.

I'm thinking I'd better see about having the input shaft polished, and be shure to check if there are any "Best Practices" for installing it.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Sorry to hear about you experiance. Tony also had his Exedy Twin go after a month. I ordered a Luk Pro Gold Kit I hope it holds up. :pp:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just for the Record this is not my car. It belongs to someone else.

I saw this post and I thought the information would be helpful in deciding on which kind of a clutch to purchase. I know it helps me make my decision when the time comes. What I found the most disheartening was the fact that the manufacturer did not stand behind his product. This kind of service will cost him more in the long run that a new clutch ever what have. :z:

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I've just spent the last few weeks stressing over what clutch to buy. The decision is difficult, experiences vary wildly. For everyone that says "this clutch s*cks" there's pretty much someone else that says "it works for me great".

In the balance, Exidy seemed a higher risk, so I narrowed my choices to McLeod and Spec. I finally settled on Spec after getting some input from the guys at the local speed shop (who have had good success with Specs on a couple of beefed-up LS1 Camaros). The Spec 2/3 hybrid looks like a good streetable choice. It's a combined Kevlar/Ceramic disk that Spec *says* has the holding force of the Stage 3 (which I need for my Vortech) but without the chatter (which was the principal complaint I saw posted about the Stage 3). It goes in to the car on Tuesday. We'll see!

·
Registered
204 Posts
My exedy has been great! My friend's z06 has gone through 2 mcleod twin disks in 9k miles!!! I part of this may be due to the hydraulics. He has to use their master cylinder with is the biggest p.o.s. that I have ever seen a manufacturer produce. It's a coin toss if you even get a good one and if by chance you do, you have to pray that it doesn't go out. I just pulled his 2nd mcleod out and put in the exedy along with a new stock master and slave. The car has NEVER fealt better. Both of us are not easy on our cars and it takes it all. Many track passes. He has 432 rwhp with a 150 shot on top and heads going on in the next month. My AFR's arrive on monday and will go on with my lsx. I plan on close to 500rwhp. I have built many cars and used numerous clutches. I don't recomend anything but the exedy, but like they say opinions are like a** holes everyone has one.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear they wouldn't honor the warranty on your new clutch. What was their reason?? It sounds like they misrepresented in their ads. :-?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have installed a few single disk Exedy's. Man that clutch LOOKS awesome. One guy after about 3k and some drag racing welded the disk to the clutch and the other day while loading the 99 in the clutch was humming really bad.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Guys, I have the twin and after about 5k miles and two sets of tires mine is still holding. I only have 486 rwhp but I feel good about it so far.
I have been thru hell with OEM clutches and I hope it holds up. The balance is good, BUT it does hit HARD.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts