Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear some of you talking about a jingle noise, and some of you change the h-pipe to make it go away. But where does that jingle noise come from? or rather where do you here it from? can it be heard from the gear box since the h-pipe is right there underneath? I think I have it, not sure though! :mad:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
My understanding is the jingle is turbulence in the h pipe on low speed deceleration, the fix is factory x pipe under warranty. It changes the sound of the system. I wish now that I had not of had it done, as the sound is not as intense as it was showroom stock.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hugoagogo said:
My understanding is the jingle is turbulence in the h pipe on low speed deceleration, the fix is factory x pipe under warranty. It changes the sound of the system. I wish now that I had not of had it done, as the sound is not as intense as it was showroom stock.
But how did you know you had that problem? and does it cut down power?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
But how did you know you had that problem? and does it cut down power?
No reports of anyone losing or gaining power. It does change the sound though. Some folks report the car is a little quieter. :z:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do you tell that is the jingle from the h-pipe

anyone who had this fixed or has it now, where is the noise coming from?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
COUTO1981 said:
anyone who had this fixed or has it now, where is the noise coming from?
If I understand your question. The noise is a SOUND that comes form the exhaust system. This sound is caused by the design of the H pipe. IMO all 2002 and up Z06 do it. It all depends on how discerning your ears are. The sound is described as someone jingling keys. :cheers:

·
Registered
892 Posts
The noise is a SOUND that comes form the exhaust system. This sound is caused by the design of the H pipe.
That's correct. The sound is from turbulence inside the middle of the H-pipe, where there is a restrictor plate with a hole about the size of a quarter. At lower RPM's during deceleration, the exhaust pulses cause that restrictor plate to resonate like a tuning fork in a weird way, and it makes that jingle sound. When you hear the sound, you'd swear it was a mechanical rattle like a loose spring or clamp or something, but its not - its all air turbulence inside the H-pipe. 2001's don't have the jingle issue because their H-pipes are open inside without the restrictor plate.

Installation of an aftermarket X-pipe fixed everything for me.

·
Registered
412 Posts
hugoagogo said:
...the fix is factory x pipe under warranty.
Is the factory-fix an x-pipe or an h-pipe?

I heard it's an h-pipe, but if it's an x, then I'm sending back my still-in-box x-pipe!

·
Registered
892 Posts
The factory fix is an H-pipe.

·
Registered
412 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 03 definitely has the gingle.... it remids me of a engine "pinging" but from the exhaust and at deceleration AND I HATE IT. Anticipate after headers, new cats, and X pipe it will go away.....will miss the poping... that I kinda like.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts