Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 2002 have the same Exhaust as the 2001, other than pre-cats (whatever those are?) :-?

If the stock exhaust is so great (titanium from mufflers back), why would you scrap perfectly good mufflers and titanium pipes for Steel and pay a $1000 to do it. Is the performance and sound that much better? Or is the Titanium exhaust not what it's all cracked up to be?

·
Registered
0 Posts
The 2002 exhaust is different than the '01. Not just the removal of the pup cats, as you already mentioned, but the mufflers are more free flowing.

I changed the exhaust on my QS Z06 because I wanted more sound. I absolutely love my PRTs (Disclaimer: I recieved mine free about a year ago from B&B.) :p If I had an '02, I personally would probably leave the stock exhaust alone. They have a rightous sound to them. :cool:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
As an '02 owner, I can tell you that I think GM got the exhaust sound just right, and as Frank sez - it is more free flowing than the '01 due to elimination of the pups and redesign of the main cats. No way would I spend a $1,000 bucks or so to buy a replacement that would not only be heavier, but would gain maybe 5 h/p at most.

Now, headers - that's a different story. ;) ;) I will be bolting on some long tubes once I figure out the best ones to get - and I would pay the extra bucks to get a ti set that is documented to make decent power.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
420 Posts
I changed my '01 exhaust to Corsas. Didn't cost me $1K though. I sold my Ti's for enough to pay for a used set of Indys in good condition, plus almost enough for the X-pipe too.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
The exhaust sound on the '02 is sweet. Quiet and well-behaved at low RPM, major growl as you pass 2000 RPM and beyond, and a beautiful purr at cruising speed. I wouldn't consider changing it.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Who's charging a grand for exhausts?:) I also se all the Ti systems for sale by their owners, though some my keep them to put back on when they move to the next model year.

Some like the tip styles and louder sound better on the aftermarket units. The BB PRT units are only 8 lbs heavier than stock. You can add the BB shorty headers and save 16 pounds there, and gain abut 10 hp too.

I like the stock Z wheels but would change them too.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

RG

H

·
0 Posts
What I saw at BG

When we were given the plant tour, we saw the bin for the Z06 and the one for the LS1.

The Z06, as we know, has no pup cats, the LS1 does. The Z06 cats are more free flowing, and look smaller to me.

The exhaust note is completely different suggesting that the titanium mufflers have been opened up a bit, but the cat changes would change the note as well. I do not know whether the exhaust mufflers have been changed.:-?

Jim

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Let's not forget that the air intake cover on the '02 Z has a larger air opening than the '01 Z, and the MAF screen has been removed on the '02....This in itself probably adds to the sound difference on the '02.

BTW, I changed to Corsa Indy's just today.....read my post "Snarl & Scream," in the Grandstand section.

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Not changing my stock exhaust system on 02 ZO6..IMHO sound is perfect..went with PRT system on 01 LS1..to me GM got it right on the 02 ZO6:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts