Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been hashed and rehashed a few times, but I'm about to take the plunge and want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

What is the difference in price between the TTS & TPIS systems? How much can I expect to be charged for the install?

Also, I want to dump the stock exhaust and go with the Borla XR-1 straight pipes.

With the long headers, do I still keep my cats? If so, I also want to gut the cats. Is this legal? What specifically can I do to the cats and remain legal?

So, in a nutshell, I want to go with long tube headers, gutted cats and a Borla XR-1 system. Installed, what do you think my bottom line will be?

Anyone know a good shop in Jacksonville? My last two exhaust jobs were done by hacks. Midas lifted my Z28 wrong and had to pay for new fenders. The Chevy dealer that put the Borla on my C5 never got the pipes alligned right etc

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I would do offroad xpipe instead. (Well at least I am). MOst of the gain in the exahust 90% of it from what I have heard is in removing these cats. The factory manifolds are almost shorty headers themselves.
Realistically offroad pipe I bet is 10-15rwhp. Guy is dynoing his today and should post to web shortly. Catback's only get you max 5rwhp and that is being optimisitic I think.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You have several questions, let me address them one at a time.

"Gutting" your cats is a bad idea. The cats are an expensive part (around $1,000-$1,500) and you might need them some day (say when you try to sell the car to someone from a place with emission checks). Bassain sells a 2 piece (front & rear) "off road" X-pipe that is a bolt-on replacement for the whole cat package, it bolts onto the exhaust manifold flange in front and the muffler pipe flange in back. It is about $500 for both pieces. Much cheaper than buying new cats.

Yes, it is illegal to remove your cats. The above setup is "off-road only". I think there is something like a $50,000 fine if you are caught and prosecuted, but so far no one has been prosecuted.

You will probably realize a large percentage of the HP gain using the off-road X-pipe setup (i.e. no cats) that you would with a full long-tube header setup, but at much less cost and much less trouble to install. For example, the Bassani setup is unbolt the stock cat pipes and bolt on their pipes, no cutting, welding, etc.

HTH

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
HTH- I don't seem to be able to find the setup you are talking about listed for the Z06's on Bassani's website. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Can you point me in the right direction?

Also... welcome to the new and improved forum! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Seq #000123/Born 06-26-01/Museum Delivery 08-06-01

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's not on their web site, it's "off-road", remember? <grin> You have to call and ask for it.

To save you time, the part numbers are:
front part - C501-2 - about $310
rear part - 5797X - about $235

You must order from a local dealer, and the prices may vary from dealer to dealer. You can find the local dealers on Bassani's web site.

I have all this data because I just ordered mine today. <grin> Bassani has the parts in stock.

HTH

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Thanks for the heads up HTH... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

I will call for more info tomorrow.

Do you plan on dynoing before & after?

Keep me posted please...

·
Registered
695 Posts
HTH--
Good info here. Will the off road pipes trip the "check engine" light? Put a "down pipe" on my Supra and w/ OBD2 it tripped the light. Annoying as hell. Will be interested to hear further on your project.

·
Registered
141 Posts
With the "off road" setup, there are no holes for the 2nd set of oxygen sensors, so you will need a pair of "oxygen sensor simulators" (or some such name) to plug into the 2nd pair of oxygen sensor cables. Breathless and several other shops sell them for about $200/pair. These keep your engine computer happy - no codes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts