Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While changing my tranny oil today I decided to try to find the rattles in my exhaust and I've found them.

The first one is the springs that fasten the h-pipe to the front of the transmission. They're the type of springs found on some types of storm doors mounted to a chain to act as a shock (sort of a spring inside of a spring) When you bang on the h-pipe you can hear them rattling. I fixed them using Scotch 70 self-fusing silicone tape. Electrical tape might work but will eventually fail due to heat in this area. (the Scotch 70 is used in jet engine compartments and is very high temp) Wrapping these springs sort of "rubberizes" them and quiets them down a lot.

The worst rattle comes from the O2 sensors mounted just behind the cats. A ring around the top of them where the wire goes in sounds like castinettes when you bang on the pipe. I used the scotch 70 on these also but I think it might burn off since it's basically going to be touching the exhaust. We'll see how it works when it gets hot.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Ripper, sounds interesting. I'm going to get my 02 off the ground this weekend and will take a look at the items you mentioned.

btw...where can I find this Scotch 70 tape??

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used to work for a major airline as a mechanic and I :D Found :D
a roll out in the parking lot. (imagine the odds) I'm not sure but you can check Home Depot or Lowes or any other hardware store or industrial supply company. If not try McMaster/Carr Industrial supply. They have a web site but not sure what the link is.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update........

I decided only to use the tape on the springs and used a few wraps of stainless steel safety wire around the O2 sensor rings since the heat here is severe.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
VettTheRipper said:
Update........

I decided only to use the tape on the springs and used a few wraps of stainless steel safety wire around the O2 sensor rings since the heat here is severe.
I'm wondering if you found GM's can of marbles ???

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMA Z06 said:
I'm wondering if you found GM's can of marbles ???
No but I just got back from a test drive and it eliminated that "slinky" sound I heard someone mention.

I did change my tranny oil and no marbles fell out.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DJWorm said:
Ripper: your Corvette looks GREEN in your sig!!!!!
IMA ZO6 made that for me today. It doesn't look green on my computer.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
VettTheRipper said:

IMA ZO6 made that for me today. It doesn't look green on my computer.
Guess you need a new monitor :D.

It does have a green hue to it on the windshield/roof area. Maybe its a reflection when the pic was taken?

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
ZeeOhSix said:

Guess you need a new monitor :D.

It does have a green hue to it on the windshield/roof area. Maybe its a reflection when the pic was taken?
Hey now will have no Sig Bashing :D :D

Indeed it was flash reflection but i can blacken it Ripper if ya want....

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IMA Z06 said:

Hey now will have no Sig Bashing :D :D

Indeed it was flash reflection but i can blacken it Ripper if ya want....
No monitor bashing either

:lol: :lol: :lol:
If it's not too much trouble.
Also, can the font be changed to Ariel?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts